Lighting LGB carriges

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
A few weeks ago I installed LED lighting in a few of my carriges. Since it's one of the few things I've done that has worked, and another member asked about it, I thought I may as well put it up.

My first conversion was a couple of my LGB four wheel coaches. The circuit is pretty simple, the LEDs are simply glued to the coach roof. The first resistor is connected to a 9v battery box that is held to the coach roof with velcro.

The second resistor is soldered to the first, as is the thrid to the second. This saves money on wires and overall on my 6 coaches I have saved a significan't amount of money than it would take to light them with the LGB lighting units and they stay constantly lit even when the engine has stopped and don't need an LGB engine to power them.

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
I used the same technuique in my Bachmann observerty carrige, just I used about 6 or 7 LEDs, ran the wires through the coach and put the battery box underneath but I appear to have lost the pictures I took of doing this.

Still here's both of the lit up. I used yellow LEDs in the bachmann and warm white in the LGB coach.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
That's first class Ricky and is unobtrusive, what rating resistors did you use

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Brilliant Ricky , dam site better than my attempt

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
Bram - 3/11/2009 8:15 PM

That's first class Ricky and is unobtrusive, what rating resistors did you use

If I'm honest I used the ones that came with the LEDs. I brought them from a shop on ebay called Goodwill Sales. you buy LEDs in packs of 5, 10, 20 etc. and they give you the correct resistors depending on your specified battery voltage.

Bram

24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Cheers matey, I'll look into that

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
This is a well timed thread, I just took delivery of LED,s yesterday to do the exact same kinda thing, only problem is I don't know any thing about electronics.

1) I got to ask some questions. I got some of those resistor things free with my LED, will they work without?

2)the seller said need them for 6-12v power, is this ok for track power or do I need different ones?

3)If i do attach resistors I take it I solder them, do I solder them to both pins of LED or just one?

4) I remeber an old physics lecture for about 15 yrs ago about series and parallel, what difference will it make to voltage supplied, and brightness of LED if I link five of them together. will I need lesser resistor.

Sorry to ask so many questions but this is my esk point of the hobby, and I'm determined to learn, (or I'll have to get the other half to do it she knows more about it than me.)

Bram

24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
<p>We all learn by asking questions and there are members on here who are whizzes in electrickery. I am sure one will answer your queries shortly.</p><p>And before anybody says it I know his names not shortly:D :D </p>

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Dave Hub - 4/11/2009 11:19 AM
1) I got to ask some questions. I got some of those resistor things free with my LED, will they work without?

2)the seller said need them for 6-12v power, is this ok for track power or do I need different ones?

3)If i do attach resistors I take it I solder them, do I solder them to both pins of LED or just one?

4) I remeber an old physics lecture for about 15 yrs ago about series and parallel, what difference will it make to voltage supplied, and brightness of LED if I link five of them together. will I need lesser resistor.

1/ Yes they will work, but only for a short time, just a few seconds in some cases! :eek:
You'll also do damage in most cases even with resistors if you connect them to DC the wrong way round.

2/ In short yes. The optimum resistor value depends on the voltage, the number of LEDs and the manner in which they are connected.

3/ Just one and it doesn't matter which lead or which way round the resistor goes. (it des matter which way round the LED goes, see 1/. If you wire several LEDs in series you'll only need one appropriate resistor for all of them.

4/ It can make a big difference. I recommend that you choose the arrangement which takes least current, especially if you use battery power as the batteries will last longer.

DON'T PANIC, the link below makes it all very easy.

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

I suggest you experiment with that site to start with. If you're unsure of anything just click on the adjacent question mark on the site.

First try the following values,
Forward voltage 12, diode forward voltage 2, diode forward current (mA) 20, number of LEDs in your array 6 and
View output as wiring diagram.
You should get one answer.
Now repeat, keeping all of the above the same except the number of LEDs in your array which increases by just one to 7. You now have a choice of six circuits (numbered 0 to 5)! Three only take 40mA of current, two take half as much again, one takes twice as much and the last 3.5 times as much.
Now experiment as much as you like, but keep the diode forward voltage and current to the values in the data for your LEDs, or, if you don't know, use those suggested by the question marks in the links.

If you only want to use one LED then use the link below, which is also mentioned in the previous link.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

If you still have questions after you've explored the above links just ask, either on here or via a P.M. :)

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
<font size="3">Wow! Finally, LED help for dummies like me. Thank you!</font>

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
johnsaintjim - 5/11/2009 9:41 AM

Ricky those lights look absolutely superb.

Thankyou :) I think it was you who gave me the idea and the help with the LED's etc. Graham.

I'm trying a tail light now, made from a red LED and some old Lego :)

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Rather than start a new thread I though I'd ask my next LED questionm as a carry on.

Thanks for all the help so far, I have got my LED working yippy.:applause:
Problem is I'm using track power. Which means it only lights when I go in one direction. how do I get it to come in in both directions?

Walts-Playmobil

Playmobil Trains.
24 Oct 2009
North Wales
www.walts-playmobil-collection.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
To get the LEDs to work from the track use a rectifier of that will carry the current.
Connect the supply from the track to the A.C. input to the rectifier.
Connect the LEDs to the positive and negative output from the rectifier. Make sure you get them the right way round.
It will then not matter which diraction the track power is.

<p>Thanks Grant.</p><p>The sockets are made from LED connectors available from Goodwill sales on ebay (where Ricky obtained his LEDs). The closeup is a bit cruel - they don't look too bad from a bit further away.</p><p>[img=http://www.evensfordandmidland.co.uk/_/rsrc/1258109147403/workshop/working-lamps/IMG_8744%20%28Large%29.JPG?height=300&width=400]</p><p>There are more details and links to suppliers, etc on the EMR web site at <a href="http://www.evensfordandmidland.co.uk/workshop/working-lamps">http://www.evensfordandmidland.co.uk/workshop/working-lamps</a></p>

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Have used HO scale 6 volt wall lights in my Rio Grande coaches :clap: