dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A week or two I mentioned that I had bought some Lidl LED Solar Lights. At £5.99 for 5 Lamps they were pretty good value, as they were quite small I thought that I could do some Station Lights with them. So I bought 3 sets.

This post is about what I did to make them into lights. First I had been thinking about ays to deal with them, I wanted them to be roughly a foot high and thought of all sorts of madcap schemes to attach Posts to the lights. In the end the solution was blindingly simple. I had some 5mm Threaded Rod and plenty of Nuts plus Washers to match in stock. So I cut the Rod into 33.33 recurring CM Lengths. Well they were a Metre Long! I then drilled out the bottom of the Lamps to take the Rod which was Bolted on with a Nut both inside and outside of the Lamp. Pics should make that ckear.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A further nut with Washer was put on the Base to allow an Inch or Two for the base to be planted on the Layout. Magdesprung was the trickiest as this is mounte on Paving Slabs so I had to Drill a suitable Hole for the Lamps positions. I decided to have 3 for the Station and 2 on the approach road. Silberhutte got 5 on the Platforms. Sternhaus 2 and lonely Birkenmoor just one. Though I have 3 more left, I have run out of Rod so will need to get some more. Perhaps Silberhutte Yard may get these on slightly shorter posts.

Now some pics of them in place with a night shot or two.

Magdesprung 5 Lights.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sternhaus 2 Lights.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Blown the Pic allowance nearly. Rest in next post.

I wish I had remembered that the Loco has a Cab Light. Forgot till after the photo shoot. Finally there is the issue of what to do with the Posts that I do not now need, well I just dumped them on this Flat Wagon. So with the Printing taken off they should make another Pipe Load.
JonD

Reactions: 2 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Here are the pics of:-
Silberhutte 4 Lights.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Lonely Birkenmoor 1 Light.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I know that they look a little bit Large and Clumpy, but I can live with that. Besides I have seen Larger on some layouts.
JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Having put these in the Garden, it was always my intension to improve them a bit. What of course rankles was the Thread on the Uprights. It just meant that I was waiting for the right moment (Old gits day 10% BnQ off day) to get some tube.

So yesterday was the day and I picked up some, not cheep as I needed 4 lengths at just under a tenner a pop, but the old gits discount helped by bringing the cost down to around £34.

I managed to get 3 posts sorted per metre so all the ones that are in the Garden are now looking better, I have not Painted them, preferring the Brass to Weather Naturally. To this end I Sanded the Brass before fitting with Wet n Dry. Some Brass can be Varnished so if you want a Weathered Finish the Sanding does speed up the process somewhat. I tend to use a Cutting Block and Clamp to hold things tight when cutting to length.

image.jpg

I also put a Washer between the Nut and brass at the bottom, this secures the assembly somewhat. The Lamps at Silberhutte Platform base needed to be reduced by 1/2 of an inch, this made them the same height as the one in the Nit on the Platform. I only needed to do this hear as these were the only ones that did not have the bottom deep enough to sit level and firm after the Brass Tube was added.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

So now I am just waiting for nature to take its time and do the Weathering for me. Probably by next year.

JonD

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Those lights were put in place in 2015. At some time between they started to fail probably 2016 so I got some replacements from BnM but they were coloured. Well they have all pretty well failed as well. This week we had a Poundstrecher open and they were offering White Lamps for a squid. So I flexed my flexible friend and have bought a load of replacements, these are almost but not quite the same. The divit on too of the original that is used to screw clip the top on was a little larger on the old ones so has been filed down to hold the new ones in place. The new ones also have a reflector that has been fitted into the glass section, hopefully to spread the light around a little better.
image.jpeg
The old (2nd batch) ones. What had failed almost exclusively was the Battery. Some have had wires detached and on all of them the switch was rusted extensively. So batteries to the Lidl recycling box as I have tested the non rusty ones and they will not take a charge. Lamps in the bin. Lucky old Lidl and Bin I say.image.jpeg
Of course the new ones have thrown up lots if surplus stuff. The pointy bits for sticking in the ground have gone for recycling, the tubes will make a good wagon load of pipes. Not got any idea what to do with the clear bits on the right. Any ideas anyone?

If no ideas forthcoming it will be the recycling bin for them as well.image.jpeg
4 of the new lamps in place at Silberhutte also showing the nice new fencing put up courtesy of next door.image.jpeg
I still need 2 more but currently 2 of the BnM ones are still just about doing service at Sternhaus.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
What size are the silver 'cup' parts you are throwing away?

Wondered if they would make enclosures for loudspeakers?? :think:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Oh good idea, will recover some feom the bin tomorrow and report.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

While on the recycle wagon, if you wired the LED solar lights that have failed batteries to an in expensive battery box you could run them as well. Just replace the battery box as it requires a recharge. Wire the LEDs in parallel.
Run the wires up either side of the post or use lager diameter tubing.
You might be able to use the solar cutoff as well in the circuit as well to save the battery.
Don't know how electronic literate you are but this may be of some help.
http://www.galigear.com.au/Automatic-Solar-Garden-Light-Detecting-Darkness-Solar-Battery-Charging

I am planning on connecting small rechargeable SLA with a solar panel to trickle charge it. I think I can run heaps of lights because at 20mA per light with a 6AHr battery they would last for a long time and not need a recharge.
Like the look this Jaycar one.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/12v-6ah-sla-battery/p/SB2485
https://www.jaycar.com.au/solar-panel-charger-kit-12v-5w/p/ZM9050
This is what I am planning
http://www.gadgetronicx.com/solar-garden-lights-circuit-diagram/
Battery because I do not like running cables all over my yard.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
While on the recycle wagon, if you wired the LED solar lights that have failed batteries to an in expensive battery box you could run them as well. Just replace the battery box as it requires a recharge. Wire the LEDs in parallel.
Run the wires up either side of the post or use lager diameter tubing.
You might be able to use the solar cutoff as well in the circuit as well to save the battery.
Don't know how electronic literate you are but this may be of some help.
http://www.galigear.com.au/Automatic-Solar-Garden-Light-Detecting-Darkness-Solar-Battery-Charging

I am planning on connecting small rechargeable SLA with a solar panel to trickle charge it. I think I can run heaps of lights because at 20mA per light with a 6AHr battery they would last for a long time and not need a recharge.
Like the look this Jaycar one.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/12v-6ah-sla-battery/p/SB2485
https://www.jaycar.com.au/solar-panel-charger-kit-12v-5w/p/ZM9050
This is what I am planning
http://www.gadgetronicx.com/solar-garden-lights-circuit-diagram/
Battery because I do not like running cables all over my yard.
I have always liked the concept of Solar Lit Buildings and perhaps with the Battery Box and Battery inside there may be more of an element of protection for these items. Some of the lights LDE's are showing signs of rust a sure bet that the pins will be steel. Some not, so may be recoverable. I have 4 of the older ones lurking around in my Halt Station so perhaps I can experiment with these (2 are working just) I do like the idea of mounting a solar cell in the roof for building lighting as has been shown on the forum and it has been in my roundtoit list for a while since I first saw the idea.

As for my elecronic literacy, all witchcraft to me but I can follow and make up a circuit. My problem tends to be converting that to a bread board but I have done it with a couple of very simple Train Lighting projects.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The problem in the garden, is it is not a very forgiving environment.. Especially in this 'green and pleasant land' (equals damp!).

You will find many components have steel wires these days.. PITA, as they are fine, so rust-out fairly quickly.. Having a small potential on them does not help! :rolleyes:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Just over 5cm diameter so a 5cm speaker may just about fit once all the crud and plastic extraneous bits have been removed.

The problem in the garden, is it is not a very forgiving environment.. Especially in this 'green and pleasant land' (equals damp!).

You will find many components have steel wires these days.. PITA, as they are fine, so rust-out fairly quickly.. Having a small potential on them does not help! :rolleyes:

I some time back bought some lovely Ground Signals that worked on DCC and have used them as entry signals for my shed. One of the lights had failed and I recently had a look at them to find them all with very rusty wires to the LED's. I greased them up in the hope of some extension of life and lo and behold the faulty one now works again! Possibly may be worth while to think about this for my building lights when roundtoit kicks in.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

I will be looking at a conformal coating to help keep the moisture away as my layout will be in a high humidity sub tropical climate.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/circuit-board-lacquer-spray-can/p/NA1002
Its used in aircraft avionics

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I will be looking at a conformal coating to help keep the moisture away as my layout will be in a high humidity sub tropical climate.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/circuit-board-lacquer-spray-can/p/NA1002
Its used in aircraft avionics
Never heard of that stuff but very useful. Available in UK and I think that this Tin of the stuff will be somewhat better for me. Though for general,protection of the cheepo lights I reckon a Spray can as you show would be better.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/1991480/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-PLA_UK_EN_Facilities_Cleaning_And_Maintenance-_-Electronics_Cleaners_And_Protective_Coatings|Electronics_Varnishes_And_Lacquers-_-PRODUCT+GROUP&matchtype=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjqu4j__K2wIVCJ3tCh1fyAg5EAQYBSABEgJJHfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Ok Phill stuffed a speaker in one today and have to say that it fitted Magnet piece inside ok. As I taped the front up the sound got much richer the more that I filled the gaps so great idea very happy. Have 3 for more Battery Projects and 3 more in the Garden in Terminal decline as lights!
image.jpeg
The latest lot that I bought at Poundstrecher at only a squid probably worth buying just for speaker enclosures.