LGB Strainz Questions

ntpntpntp

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
I've got an old "American Stainz" stashed away somewhere. I never got round to fitting a DCC decoder so it wasn't run much, but at least I'm part of the "everyone must have one" club :)

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Is that for real? - As in, a pukka LGB item?

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
I've got an old "American Stainz" stashed away somewhere. I never got round to fitting a DCC decoder so it wasn't run much, but at least I'm part of the "everyone must have one" club :)

Looks like a 2016 or 2017 US Loco by LGB. These were coloured Green on the Cab, Water Tank and Tender. As they came with a Tender hence no rear step out to the Cab (for Coal Space)? This one may be a Special hence the Grey Colour. Sadly it is lacking the Tender, could have been quite valuable back in 1990’s (up to $500).

D

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA
Note, the first Stainz and Elias were called growlers and had a completely different motor than what is available now. Why called a growler? The motor and gears were very noisy thus the Growler name.

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Note, the first Stainz and Elias were called growlers and had a completely different motor than what is available now. Why called a growler? The motor and gears were very noisy thus the Growler name.
Most folks on here already know their LGB history, but just for the benefit of any newcomers to the hobby who haven't yet studied it very deeply:
The first-generation gearbox lasted no more than one or two years of production before being completely redesigned to make the "clamshell" gearbox, itself later superseded by the current style of "sandwich" box.
In German the "Growlers" were known as "Heuler", or Howler..... the motor was hung on the back of the gearbox (under the cab in the case of the Stainz) and the drive, I believe, was via a set of noisy bevel gears. I've never owned one myself - my oldest Stainz dates from just after the change to the now-standard motor mounted between the driven axles with power transmission via the twin worm gears - but I have heard several in operation and the certainly live up to their nicknames....

Jon.

ntpntpntp

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
In German the "Growlers" were known as "Heuler", or Howler.....
Have a listen to the one at the start of this video....

ntpntpntp

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Is that for real? - As in, a pukka LGB item?
Oh yes, definitely. Never had a tender with mine, but it was an ebay bargain quite few years ago.

Naturally I had some help finding it at the back of a cupboard!
123859_754e694a6d38cd29d6593aec0a0a2f80.jpg
123861_0a481b47d24149c354245707c94528f3.jpg

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Serious nostalgia, how did we put up with that din? I think I have a Growler amongst my LGB Steam Tram Collection.

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Excellent, Nick, a very clear comparison between a very early Howler Stainz and a much later one with the "Sandpaper Sound System".... ;)

Jon.

stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
thanks, had heard of, but never actually heard a growler.
Quite certain I need one for The Pile......

Now, if it were a gas electric or diesel, I could believe that was transmission whir....