LGB Strainz Questions

L

LGB Guy

Registered
14 May 2019
Tokyo
Hello all,

I'm looking over the 50th anniversary Stainz train. Is there any difference from any other year except for the color? I don't see any difference but it says its got the ideal "Buhler motor" - however i thought that was standard? Am I missing anything?

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
No, you are not missing anything..
They release 'paint-jobs' quite regularly..

L

LGB Guy

Registered
14 May 2019
Tokyo
No, you are not missing anything..
They release 'paint-jobs' quite regularly..
How sad. I'm kind of dissapointed. Was hoping it was something better. Thank you!

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Was hoping it was something better.
:eek: Better than a Stainz! :eek:
;)

Considering their size, wheelbase, etc. The Stainz is pretty bomb-proof. There have been minor 'tweaks' over the years, and the odd-issue might have slightly different detailing, but they are all pretty similar.

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
It's always surprised me that, given it is their "signature" loco and probably the best known G scale model ever, LGB have never yet released a version of the Stainz with a factory-installed decoder and full sound (and I'm not counting the starter-set "sound" locos, with their basic "scraping burnt toast" sound system).....

If they can fit an MFX decoder (and a pulsed smoke unit!) into the Franzburg, then I would have thought that doing the same with a Stainz would not be impossible.
Yes, I know it would cost an arm and a leg given their current pricing, but I'm sure it would still be popular.

Jon.

Reactions: wandgrudd
L

LGB Guy

Registered
14 May 2019
Tokyo
It's always surprised me that, given it is their "signature" loco and probably the best known G scale model ever, LGB have never yet released a version of the Stainz with a factory-installed decoder and full sound (and I'm not counting the starter-set "sound" locos, with their basic "scraping burnt toast" sound system).....

If they can fit an MFX decoder (and a pulsed smoke unit!) into the Franzburg, then I would have thought that doing the same with a Stainz would not be impossible.
Yes, I know it would cost an arm and a leg given their current pricing, but I'm sure it would still be popular.

Jon.
Yes thank you! I didn't want to be negative but as much as I love LGB and Stainz, they are stuck in 1960s. Throw some rivets on the body! Add great sound, make a steampunk look with Shay moving parts around the wheels. What works 60 years ago doesn't mean it's new and exciting today.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Some Info from LOK.

Stainz 1 1968-1992
In the early Days the Valve Gear was Metal, though the crossheads were nylon or plastic.
Special 30 Year Anniversary in 1998 with the now current Plastic / Nylon Valve Gear.
Stainz 2 1977-1996
Valve gear as above.
1997 to date with Nylon / Plastic Valve gear.
Stainz 4 1968-1974
Valve gear as early versions.
Stainz 99 4605 Nylon / Plastic Valve gear and Direct Decoder but I believe that Stainz 2 1997 to Date at some stage had Direct Decoder as well. Certainly 2 I have in my collection have this ability plus the Sand Paper Sound System at some stage.

Certainly in addition to the above there are others and many specials to this long lived and loved little Loco. With varying colours from that undressed one of 1968.

L

LGB Guy

Registered
14 May 2019
Tokyo
Some Info from LOK.

Stainz 1 1968-1992
In the early Days the Valve Gear was Metal, though the crossheads were nylon or plastic.
Special 30 Year Anniversary in 1998 with the now current Plastic / Nylon Valve Gear.
Stainz 2 1977-1996
Valve gear as above.
Stainz 4 1968-1974
Stainz 99 4605 Nylon / Plastic Valve gear and Direct Decoder but I believe that Stainz 2 1997 to Date at some stage had Direct Decoder as well. Certainly 2 I have in my collection have this ability plus the Sand Paper Sound System at some stage.

Certainly in addition to the above there are others and many specials to this long lived and loved little Loco. With varying colours from that undressed one of 1968.
Yes you are right. As you can see from my name I'm a huge fan of the brand also. it's ok to criticize them for obvious flaws and be a supportive fan.

Reactions: Distrackted
L

LGB Guy

Registered
14 May 2019
Tokyo
Some Info from LOK.

Stainz 1 1968-1992
Stainz 2 1977-1996
Valve gear as above.
Stainz 4 1968-1974

I have been thinking. Where did you find all that information on the stainz? Impressive

stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Collectors books.
Lgb lok, lgb kompendium (german), greenburgs guide (oldish but great, get the later of the 2 editions)), official guide to lgb, all great resources for an lgb lover.

I too would love an uber stainz, sync smoke, sound, constant lighting, firebox, nice, flat paint (similar to the lighter green HOe versions I’ve seen).

But, im not certain how much i would spend.

The “problem” with lgb, imho, is that many items are a compromise, scale, weather proofness, details versus durability, and, cost and market appeal.

Oddly, while i love fine models, the beauty of a stainz, for me, is that its carefree.
No details to break off, robust, etc. suffers lots of handling without any problem.

While i have about 100 lgb locos, id bet i run a stainz like loco 33% of the time. Easy to transport, no worries about weather, theft, damage, great reliability and pull. But, it IS a “lowly,” ubiquitous , all too familiar and European style loco. Cute, romantic, but....cute , romantic, and slightly ill proportioned.

I too want a franzburg, but it does seem , imho, rather pricey for what it is.

Last edited:
dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
I have been thinking. Where did you find all that information on the stainz? Impressive
I got my Copy of LOK from Glendale Junction, now sadly closed - well sort of. They keep having the odd presence to clear stuff but I would expect that if they had any of the ‘LOK’ they would have offered them by now.
123467_8ee3902e73a82d8d4e433472a3b1210d.jpg

At least now you know what to look for. Most of the current LGB Suppliers May be worth a punt. You could of course try to get all of the LGB Catalogues via EBay, I have quite a few but gave up Collecting them due to the horrible differences in size that make them such a pain on the bookshelf.

L

LGB Guy

Registered
14 May 2019
Tokyo
Collectors books.
Lgb lok, lgb kompendium (german), greenburgs guide (oldish but great, get the later of the 2 editions)), official guide to lgb, all great resources for an lgb lover.

I too would love an uber stainz, sync smoke, sound, constant lighting, firebox, nice, flat paint (similar to the lighter green HOe versions I’ve seen).

But, im not certain how much i would spend.

The “problem” with lgb, imho, is that many items are a compromise, scale, weather proofness, details versus durability, and, cost and market appeal.

Oddly, while i love fine models, the beauty of a stainz, for me, is that its carefree.
No details to break off, robust, etc. suffers lots of handling without any problem.

While i have about 100 lgb locos, id bet i run a stainz like loco 33% of the time. Easy to transport, no worries about weather, theft, damage, great reliability and pull. But, it IS a “lowly,” ubiquitous , all too familiar and European style loco. Cute, romantic, but....cute , romantic, and slightly ill proportioned.

I too want a franzburg, but it does seem , imho, rather pricey for what it is.
I like everyting your saying and i truly hope you know I love the Stainz also. I guess maybe its just how my mind works but I've been looking at what the tabletop (think dungeions and dragons) crowd is doing with layouts and dioramas and i realize how far this hobby is behind. I see the train my grandfather bought me in 1983 is still the big seller in 2019 - i get a little sad. The sound isn't very good and smoke is a nice feature but maybe I'm just thinking our hobby doesn't have to die if it would just evolve to something flashier and fancier. In the mean time i will pass on to my son the love of the LGB Stainz just as i had when i was a boy.

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
With the Stainz:

I think it is the fact many of us get one early-on?
It runs well. Almost indestructible? so earns 'a place in our hearts'. :think::h:

Pity there is not a comparable (RTR) UK outline loco for 45mm track? - Thinking cost, ruggedness, and availability..

John S

John S

Registered
5 Nov 2017
Exeter, Devon, UK
Hmm! Interesting conundrum.....

Could it be updated with a mfx/DCC decoder, possible although a number of practical and economic considerations would come into play.

Where to fit the decoder, only available space, due to the larger foot print of the decoder, is the area for the cab roof, which then leads to another problem, access to install it, would mean a complete revamp and retooling of the cab and footplate, anyone who as ever taken a Stainz apart will testify it's a real pig in a poke of job due to its present design.

Way back in 2012, did look at making a new internal section to marry the cab to the footplate, 3D printers back then were way out of reach in price for the amateur hobbyist, not so these days, may well have another look at this to see if it's a practical idea.

What advantages would the 1st or 2nd generation mfx/DCC decoders give the end user, well if using Marklin CS, auto registration perhaps, but that has proven to be a hit and miss affair, two way communication, that is available under DCC, the latest versions of firmware from Massoth now makes the option of Railcom available, 1st generation mfx/DCC 16 functions, 2nd generation mfx/DCC 32 functions, Massoth DCC 99 functions per loco (function addresses F0...F28 + 60 Binary States).

Then there's sound, no sound project file exists for a Stainz under mfx/DCC, OK, so I do have the 13,500 Marklin sound files, so it's possible one could be created, one already exists for the LS.

Then there's the decoder configuration, good grief, if one hunt's through this site, enough trouble was encountered with the few CV's that were published for the original 1st generation mfx/DCC decoder, as a example a 1st generation mfx/DCC decoder has 400 odd CV's, and the later 2nd generation mfx/DCC decoder has the best part of 1200 CV's!

Decoder profiles to interrogate the decoder, would have to be created from scratch for the Stainz, as an example, using both Marklin's and Massoth's software, a 1st generation mfx/DCC decoder was almost three weeks work, 2nd generation mfx/DCC decoder is now approaching six weeks, and still a fair way to go.

So back to the conundrum....., would an mfx/DCC decoder actually be of any benefit, and any advantage over a Massoth LS decoder with firmware revision 4.2, which can be fitted inside the boiler?

Last edited:
PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
So back to the conundrum....., would an mfx/DCC decoder actually be of any benefit, and any advantage over a Massoth LS decoder with firmware revision 4.2, which can fitted inside the boiler?
I assume the question is rhetorical?

But

NO!

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Next question:

What is the inside (clear) diameter of a Stainz boiler?
AND
What is the outside diameter of the Massoth 'rounded' pulsed smoke generator?

:devil::devil::devil:

wandgrudd

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
In regard to the metal vs plastic valve gear, I read some time ago, that the plastic valve gear was more prototypical.

stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
I like everyting your saying and i truly hope you know I love the Stainz also. I guess maybe its just how my mind works but I've been looking at what the tabletop (think dungeions and dragons) crowd is doing with layouts and dioramas and i realize how far this hobby is behind. I see the train my grandfather bought me in 1983 is still the big seller in 2019 - i get a little sad. The sound isn't very good and smoke is a nice feature but maybe I'm just thinking our hobby doesn't have to die if it would just evolve to something flashier and fancier. In the mean time i will pass on to my son the love of the LGB Stainz just as i had when i was a boy.
You know, imho, its about effort. (Sometimes i make a lot, sometimes things seem futile in scope).

1 one can repaint, relight, add sound and pulsed smoke. Ive seen this on you tube by one of the forum members, paul stainz holt, or that was his former moniker, i think.

2 scenery, details, landscaping change everything. This, imho, is the key.
Theres a saxon mk iv on you tube, running light, on a german club modular that rivals fine scale.

3 weathering., carefully painted figures. Repainted plastic. Huge huge changes.

I know many toys come alive on the right “stage”, with toned down colors.

I have seen an exquisite japanese themed stainz and 2 coaches, repainted, 4x6 ft rr, with no more than a tiny oval, single spur for mini turn table and shed, tiny station platform, barrier and road, and vegetation that was its own world.

Last edited:
G

gnm109

Registered
The Stainz, which of course represents a narrow gauge locomotive, is a wonderful little engine regardless of the year of manufacture. Every G Scale model railroader should own one.