LGB Set screw thread and axles thread

Paul2727

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
England
Hello all,
Does any know the thread size and set screw / bolt length for the old style LGB bolt on wheels axles (Stainz etc?)
108050_e8aa50ca368c326fcd1b02147089d688.jpg

Also can this type of axle be used in a more modern motor block? Ie Is the length, diameter compatible?
Thanks for reading.
Paul.
NB: I have found these guys very good, and fast delivery for small metric bolts. Particularly for the equivalent 1/2 depth 6mm nuts for the older stainz funnels. (Available in stainless and brass for a couple of quid for a bag full.)
Kay's Fasteners | eBay Shops

Last edited:
PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
The axle length should be OK, as it sets the back-to-back.. Whether you could then use the motion-parts, will depend on your model, I suppose?? :think:
Diameter is (I believe) the same. - IF I can find my pack, I will measure the axles.

Regarding the screw:
The best I can do, is quote from the Train-Line 45 screw packet insert..

2x Sechskantschraube 6 x 8,2

Again, IF I can find the bag of screws, as opposed to the bit of paper that *should* be in it :rolleyes:) then I will measure one..

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Other thing to mention is that newer LGB tend to have push on wheels to a serated end rather than that illustrated which will have a screw to hold the wheels in place.

Paul2727

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
England
Thanks guys,
I have some as new older axles and wheels but not the set screws / bolts to hold them on. I'm looking to replace some knackered 'modern push on wheelsets that are worn out or out of quarter. The motion isn't an issue for what I intend. I just need to know the thread size now as my thread gauge doesn't go small enough.
Cheers,
Paul.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Thanks guys,
I have some as new older axles and wheels but not the set screws / bolts to hold them on. I'm looking to replace some knackered 'modern push on wheelsets that are worn out or out of quarter. The motion isn't an issue for what I intend. I just need to know the thread size now as my thread gauge doesn't go small enough.
Cheers,
Paul.
With luck you may be able to get some replacements at either GRS or Glendale Jcn.

D

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA
LGB sold a screw kit and these wide axle screws were in that package. Note the large flat heads on these screws and the star washer that was also used.

Paul2727

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
England
Hi all,
It turns out the thread is M2.5
The LGB oe ones have proved nigh on impossible to find nowadays...
So I've now ordered some cheese head hex drive set screws in various lengths in this thread size with assorted washers to suit all in stainless steel.
Fingers crossed...

T

Trebor

Retired to play with my trains
2 Aug 2018
Mid-west USA
Hello all,
Does any know the thread size and set screw / bolt length for the old style LGB bolt on wheels axles (Stainz etc?) View attachment 244469
Also can this type of axle be used in a more modern motor block? Ie Is the length, diameter compatible?
Thanks for reading.
Paul.
NB: I have found these guys very good, and fast delivery for small metric bolts. Particularly for the equivalent 1/2 depth 6mm nuts for the older stainz funnels. (Available in stainless and brass for a couple of quid for a bag full.)
Kay's Fasteners | eBay Shops
Contact AllAboutLgb.com. I bought screws from them several months ago.