LGB rack loco

M

mole

Registered
25 Oct 2009
ipswich
I have just purchased an LGB 2046 rack loco The loco came without any instructions so, before I start to lay any track I would like to know what is the recommended rate of an incline that the locomotive can climb I was thinking or more like hoping it would be perhaps 1 in 25 or 1 in 30 thank you in advance for any answers

Neil Robinson

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
There are many more members of this forum with greater experience with me on this subject.

I guess that you could manage a 1 in 30 without rack assistance, dependant of the load. The rack gear wheel on the loco is prone to wear so managing without is a big plus.
Many prototype rack lines seem to only propel one or two coaches.

H

HBBahn

Registered
21 Nov 2009
North Wales
I'm pretty sure that 1 in 4 is the absolute max with the rack, as recommended by LGB. Around 1 in 25 is the maximum recommended by LGB for everyday use (depending which book you read). When I was RhB bound, a Ge 4/4ii would pull seven coaches up my 4% grades.

spoz

spoz

What do I do? What I'm told by SWMBO
Staff member
GSC Moderator
27 Oct 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
1:30 is certainly quite managable for adhesion working; it's the ruling grade on my line and all my locos can make it relatively easily although of course it does limit the load.

I'm pretty sure that the limit for normal adhesion working is 1:16 or thereabouts; certainly around 1:20 or so is where the 1:1 world seems to start using the rack. From memory, the maximum gradient possibly on the abt system (which again from memory is what the LGB model is based on) was 1:5 or thereabouts; there are other sytems that can get to about 1:2 or so but they effectively lock the loco to the track. Two of the well known rack systems in Australia (the West Coast Wilderness Rwy and the former Mt Morgan Rwy) which use or used the abt system had ruling grades of 1:14 or so and that enabled them to use reasonable sized locos with reasonable loads; four carriages for an 0-4-2T for example.

The ruling principle for any line, rack or non rack, is "use the minimum gradient you can get away with"; although of course that is not necessarily what you would want to do if what you are building is a line to demo a rack system. But I'd probably still try to hold it to 1:8 or so.

LVT

LVT

Analogue automated LGB Euro on 4 loops
24 Oct 2009
Near Atlantic City NJ USA
On a temporary set-up I followed LGB's guidance and had a four-foot constant grade ramp leading to a one-foot platform. The 2046 did not hestitate even when pulling as many as two two-axle coaches. One of the ramps was curved, and this seemed to be easier to keep adjusted than the other straight one. The transitions between the levels at either end of the climb are challenging, but they can be handled with short track sections.

R

Railway42

LGB, Radio Control Model Boat, Electronics
28 Feb 2013
Cheddar
Excerpt from Explore the World of LGB. Hope this will be of assistance.
rack railways. LGB rack locomotives can operate on grades of up to 25%, climbing 250 mm for every 1000 mm of horizontal distance. The LGB rack program includes rack locomotives along with some special rack accessories:
• 10210 Cog Rack, 300 mm, 12 pack
• 10220 Cog Rack Holder, 24 pack
• 64462 Rack Loco Coupler Hooks, 8 pack
The 10210 Cog Racks (or "rack rails") are easy to install. Using the 10220 holders, they can be fitted into both straight and curved LGB track
sections, and the rack sections can be installed in existing layouts without removing the track. To install a cog rack, install the holders between the track ties. The
distance between the holders will vary, but in curves, the distance between holders should be less than 150 mm (5.9 in). Once the holders are in place, snap the racks into the holders from
above. The holders will latch to the rack and to the track.
Rack Railway Tips
• To avoid abrupt transitions, use several short straight track sections, like 10150 sections, at the beginning and the end of a steep section. Slightly bend each joint vertically to create a smooth transition.
• For overhead catenary operation on steep sections, use the 56300 tilting catenary mast. The masts should be spaced closer than on level track.
• To avoid accidental uncoupling, 64462 coupler hooks are recommended
for rolling stock used on rack sections. Also, "symmetrical" coupler hooks should be installed on both ends of all rolling stock.
• LGB rack locos can be used on rack sections and regular "adhesion" sections.

M

mole

Registered
25 Oct 2009
ipswich
Thank you Railwayman 42 that information you posted is just what I needed :)

stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
and another bit from my own experience

the transition thing is critical, and must be gentle, and, I have actually taken dedicated 600mm lengths and gently bent the rails, evenly, the referenced shorter section thing works, but is 'kinky'

so is having plenty of lead -in and lead-out cog, ie as part of the train may still be on the grade, when the loco hits non-cog section , the train will make the loco slide-

also, I have found that using about 2 locks for each 300mm, give or take, is important, as heat will allow the cogs sections to buckle -use more on curves

it is very helpful to use hot water to dip the ends of the cog sections when clipping together-they can take a good bit of pressure, and I have snapped one once simply pushing-the hot water softens just enough to make connection easy- I still use gloves as the cogs are tough on hands with so much grip needed.

while the cog couplers are best, if you cannot find these, one can also clip the portion of the hook which hangs down (used for auto uncoupling) -it will rub the cogs otherwise-even if the loco is downhill, mirror coupling is helpful for those areas where there are transitions between flat and grade

I keep my curved sections off grade-it is very hard otherwise with long coaches, as there always seems to be some sideways twisting.

while I love dramatic grades, and have had 25%, I will say this, that this will greatly effect train length-the increase on the loco, the cogs, etc gets surprisingly large with even four 2 axel cars on steep grades. I have not seen replacement cog axels, so wear might be a consideration.

finally, while not weather worthy, I use graphite lube on the racks, as when the grade is steep, you will notice a good deal of jerkiness, especially going down-the graphite reduces this a bit.

Is Personal
24 Oct 2009
Darlington
Rack Locos are prone to "Jerking" down the descent. The steeper the incline the more exaggerated the jerk!!!

R

Railway42

LGB, Radio Control Model Boat, Electronics
28 Feb 2013
Cheddar
Hi www.champex-linden.de can supply the rack loco cog at 10,95€ for two.

M

mole

Registered
25 Oct 2009
ipswich
Thank you railway 42 for the link for the cogwheels could be very handy and thank you Steve for the above notes the first trail runs I did confirmed you observation s I was a couple of lengths short of the rack rails so after buying a pack I put in some extra lengths more to make things look a bit more inpressive but it look's like the extra leed in will be useful will be using only short 2 axle rolling stock 2 coaches max Good idea about putting the cog rails together I did brake 2 and yes it was sore on the finger's I did have trouble with the coupling's tied the hook up cut of the bit of the coupler that hit the cog rail and added a bit of plasticard over the loop part of the coupler to stop the overriding seems to work I will try the grease not had to much jerkiness yet IT's funny we have the mother in law live with us and she is now pretty much housebound we had a stair lift installed a couple of years ago I now look at this item which always seems to be in the way when I go up stair's in a new light plenty of cogs bend's and inclines pehaps I should move that lot outside and have the mother in law going up and down the outside of the house

stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
I tried to do THAT with my M-I-L, a simple point to point, no reverse, to the roof....

but swmbo made me put her back.......

Reactions: lgbmad
Railfan

Railfan

Registered
17 Nov 2009
Northern California, USA
I tried to do THAT with my M-I-L, a simple point to point, no reverse, to the roof....

but swmbo made me put her back.......
Oh, the inhumanity of it all...

:)

G

Gordon kay

Registered
19 Aug 2017
Darwen lancs
Hi is the rack engine still for sale. And if so where in the uk are you based as I am interested but would like to see it first
Gordon Kay

Gizzy

Gizzy

Railways, Aviation, Caravanning....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Hmm... what post has the rack engine for sale? I read the entire thread and missed where someone was offering up a rack loco. Also, did you notice last post in this thread was nearly 4 years ago?
I know the OP, Chris (he doesn't seem to use GSC any more), and I know he doesn't have a rack loco for sale....