LGB R1 curves are excellent in the right circumstances

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Country flag
I haven't any points R1s or any other type!:)
Point of order, I got a dozen and a half, all R1. All in all, there is only one point where I considered using an R3, but cost, and the fact with careful maintenance, the R1 could handle Annie and Clarabel, the R1 stays.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Country flag
Well, here's an unusual take... when I started out, some 23 years ago now, I used a locally made LGB knock off flex track (5 foot lengths). I immediately set to, and bent it to LGB R1 geometry!
Logic was, I didn't have enough room, and allowed for the future by being able to fit in LGB turnouts on the curves quite easy. That original oval is still in operation, with a few alterations, but still R1.
But did you make the curves transition?
:D

PhilP

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Country flag
That sounds an interesting layout. Would you introduce some thread drift by elaborating on it, please?
Nice to see that some folks don't ruin perfectly good LGB Starter Sets :giggle:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Country flag
But did you make the curves transition?
:D

PhilP
Oh, you mean that track arrangement that eases the rail from straight to full radius in the form of a cubic spiral, and the shift bisects, and is bisected by that said spiral ?
Short answer, two letters, neither of which is yes, life's too short, and complicated enough without having to bring work home into the hobby. :snooze:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Country flag
Oh, you mean that track arrangement that eases the rail from straight to full radius in the form of a cubic spiral, and the shift bisects, and is bisected by that said spiral ?
Short answer, two letters, neither of which is yes, life's too short, and complicated enough without having to bring work home into the hobby. :snooze:
Aaaawwh, spoil-sport!

I was under the impression that flex tended to do this on its own?

It is amazing, just what will go round an R1 curve..
It may require you to squint a bit, it does not look particularly nice, but does go round..

PhilP

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Country flag
That sounds an interesting layout. Would you introduce some thread drift by elaborating on it, please?
Well I actually prefer to watch trains go round, as opposed to shunting etc, (probably in the real minority I know, but each to his own). I also created the layout as a test to see if my method of track bed would work. After 3 years, I think the answer is yes. My next effort will definitely have points and a bit larger than it is now, although not much as my garden isn't big. Actually it's quite small, and I don't want to over power it with track work.

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
Country flag
Well I actually prefer to watch trains go round, as opposed to shunting etc, (probably in the real minority I know, but each to his own). I also created the layout as a test to see if my method of track bed would work. After 3 years, I think the answer is yes. My next effort will definitely have points and a bit larger than it is now, although not much as my garden isn't big. Actually it's quite small, and I don't want to over power it with track work.
Often just watching the train "tail chase" when relaxing can be therapeutic, but I also have an "out and back" when I want to be more involved.