LGB programming module on USB

AllanD

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I would just like to check with you guys that I have got this right! I have a new laptop that does not have a serial port, if I buy a "USB 2.0 TO RS232 SERIAL DB9 9 PIN ADAPTER CABLE" will this allow me to use the LGB programmer with the new laptop?

Thanks in advance

Allan

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Alan,

I've not got an LGB programming module myself, so no direct experience.

I do know that USB to Serial Converters can be problematical sometimes.

The direct answer to your question is possibly even probably.

If you know anyone who has done the same thing and it works then buy the same brand of USB to serial converter.
If you can borrow a mates USB to serial converter first and try that first, if it works buy the same one. Alternatively buy one in a shop but make an agreement with a shop that you can bring it back if it doesn't work.

Regards
Cliff

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I am in the same position as Cliff, I too have heard of occasional problems.
My understanding is that it's not just a matter of using the cable, you also need to install some software that is supplied with it. Sometimes this software is incompatible with the serial device in question and maybe even the computer's internal software.

What I'm trying to say is yes it can be done but it may not work with your first attempt.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I use one on this computer. Once I had set it up correctly & sorted out the number of the phantom serial port I have never had any problems. It came with a little CD but this computer uses Vista (sorry about the bad language) so I just plugged it in & it found its own drivers.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
i have chganged from a old tower computure with the old conecterurs.. to a nice lappy.. and bought a cheap conversion lead from evilbay, usb 2- serial thingy, it was only because ian s helped, that we got it working, person ally, i think if you know someone who knows computures, let them do it... it works fine now by the way..

rjstott

DIY, Photography, Electronics and Computers
8 Jan 2010
Lougratte, France
Best answers
I've used USB to serial in many situations and never had a problem. Anyway you've no choice until train system manufacturers catch up! Are they ten years behind? They're not expensive, read a couple of reviews first to make sure but from a reliable source such as Belkin are usually never a problem!

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Allan,

Yes, you can use a USB to Serial cable and in theory it should be fine, however.....

Most of these do not come with drivers for Windows 7 (and possibly Vista). Most of these devices are based on the same hardware and drivers from "Prolific" will work with quite a few other makes. Prolific had a set of beta drivers for Windows 7 last time I looked.

AllanD

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks for the help and info guys, only trouble now is the LGB software is not compatable with windows 7 and will not load. Guess ill have to get the old lappy out the cupboard!!!!!!

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Allan,

Which version of the LGB-MTS software are you trying to use.....I'm sure someone (not me) is using V6 on Windows 7.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
I believe Windows 7 is supposed to have some kind of compatibility mode to make it backwards compatible with most software.