Lgb new 2019

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Noticed that one in Grootspoor's latest newsletter emailed a few days ago.....

Interesting, but don't think I'll be getting one. Wonder if M/LGB will re-release it in "normal" black, as I think the only time they have done this "original" style 2-10-2 (without the big boxy bit ahead of the stack) was a very limited-edition version of 99-222 a few years back?

Jon.

Edit: am I right in recalling someone saying on here a while back, that the "photo grey" locos never actually ran anywhere in that paint scheme, but were only briefly painted like that (and sometimes only on one side!) for catalogue and publicity pictures at the factory, because it made the loco show up better in black-and-white photos? Not that it has ever stopped model manufacturers making them in the grey scheme, I've seen quite a few in Z gauge.....

Last edited:
Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
I noticed the NAPA Valley Wine Train is being produced. Too bad LGB chose a GM hood unit. As far as I know, the NVWT uses Alco FAs only.

The real deal

133335_36f9a50538b75f60eb49478ef184759d.jpg

LGB's version

133338_766281be9d8205ea0335b29575842d1a.jpg

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks

Interesting, but don't think I'll be getting one. Wonder if M/LGB will re-release it in "normal" black, as I think the only time they have done this "original" style 2-10-2 (without the big boxy bit ahead of the stack) was a very limited-edition version of 99-222 a few years back?

Jon.

Edit: am I right in recalling someone saying on here a while back, that the "photo grey" locos never actually ran anywhere in that paint scheme, but were only briefly painted like that (and sometimes only on one side!) for catalogue and publicity pictures at the factory, because it made the loco show up better in black-and-white photos? Not that it has ever stopped model manufacturers making them in the grey scheme, I've seen quite a few in Z gauge.....
I think you're right, the grey was for photographic purposes only. The light reflected from an average scene equates to the light reflected by an 18% grey card which reflects exactly the same amount of light as falls on it. Where a scene has a large probably matt black loco dominating the scene, the reflected light will fool he camera into giving a wrong exposure. Painting the loco grey (presumably 18% grey is best) solves the problem.

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
QUOTE="Zerogee, post: 568211, member: 213"]Edit: am I right in recalling someone saying on here a while back, that the "photo grey" locos never actually ran anywhere in that paint scheme, but were only briefly painted like that (and sometimes only on one side!) for catalogue and publicity pictures at the factory, because it made the loco show up better in black-and-white photos? Not that it has ever stopped model manufacturers making them in the grey scheme, I've seen quite a few in Z gauge.....
[/QUOTE]

Yes, the colour scheme you refer to is called 'fotoanstricht' in German, and was used by most locomotive builders in every country I can think of to illustrate the loco as built, standing on a line outside the erection hall or similar. The Accucraft K1 and Roundhouse Class D are available in this lack of colour scheme, and I like it a lot.

Here is one such photo from the archives of the North British Locomotive Works -

133420_42c9b13af648b205cf96c93f971ae5b5.png

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
I recall that USA Trains made the NVWT a few years back - I saw one at an exhibition layout in Vancouver at Art Knapp's garden centre show.

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Re: the grey locomotive - I just worked out that you could buy the PIKO model and a hundred H*lfords grey primer spray cans and do the same job.

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Thanks Tac - I agree that the Photo Grey scheme does actually look very attractive, and I have no objections to anyone running a loco in that scheme (Rule Eight and all that) - my only reservation is about part of M/LGB's text describing the model: "...in the photo gray (sic) paint scheme as originally delivered..... The paint and lettering are protoypical for Era II...." (Italics mine).
Did any loco builders ever actually supply locos from their factories in a grey (primer?) finish for the buyers to paint in their own liveries?

Jon.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Did any loco builders ever actually supply locos from their factories in a grey (primer?) finish for the buyers to paint in their own liveries?
I doubt it!

At least, NOT with lettering and lining, already applied. :think: :shake:

wandgrudd

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Thanks Tac - I agree that the Photo Grey scheme does actually look very attractive, and I have no objections to anyone running a loco in that scheme (Rule Eight and all that) - my only reservation is about part of M/LGB's text describing the model: "...in the photo gray (sic) paint scheme as originally delivered..... The paint and lettering are protoypical for Era II...." (Italics mine).

Jon.

Going by the other text on the page before it notes the gray finish as washable lime paint?

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk

Jon.
There are certainly some pictures of UK locos in photographic grey duly lettered and numbered for their respective railways.

Whether this was for trials before the main batch was built, I don't know. On the Southern, O V Bulleid's 'Leader 36001 clocked up 6,000 miles in what appears to be (from a black and white photo :devil::devil: ) a grey livery :nod::nod:

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
There are certainly some pictures of UK locos in photographic grey duly lettered and numbered for their respective railways.

Whether this was for trials before the main batch was built, I don't know. On the Southern, O V Bulleid's 'Leader 36001 clocked up 6,000 miles in what appears to be (from a black and white photo :devil::devil: ) a grey livery :nod::nod:
Interesting.... thanks Rhino, that puts a different slant on the "prototypical" question!

Jon.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Interesting.... thanks Rhino, that puts a different slant on the "prototypical" question!

Jon.
Well, for UK that is - haven't much experience of European railways :nerd::nerd:

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Going by the other text on the page before it notes the gray finish as washable lime paint?
Also interesting.... so it was presumably applied OVER the "proper" paint, then washed off after the photos were taken....?

Jon.

T

Tas devil

Registered
7 Oct 2015
Tasmania

Jon.

There’s usually an exception! I wasn’t sure if you meant that just that class of loco never actually ran with the grey paint schem

Anyway, New South Wales Railways C38 class Pacific 3801, ran in grey for some time, following it’s completion during WW11. It was nicknamed “The Grey Nurse” -after a shark rather than a nursing sister.
And a few years ago, as a preserved loco, it was repainted in grey, and again ran trains in that colour.
cheers.

dennishodge

dennishodge

Registered
21 Feb 2018
Bellevue, WA, USA
Short Märklin Days vid with preproduction mock-up of their Hg 4/4 rack monster and the aforementioned German NG Giant. Plus an IRL standard gauge 2-6-6-2 Crocodile for good measure

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
The Hg 4/4 will appeal to a VERY limited audience who will have not only a suitable line, but the eu5000 to buy it. I'd like to have one, just to watch all them wiggly bits, but right now I'm my usual povertous self.

P

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I have to admit that I'm one of those few. My deposit is in for one with the current DFB livery. The cost quoted was "only" about $3,600. As a long time member of Verein Furka-Bergstrcke I couldn't resist. It will make a very nice addition to the LGB DFB set I have. I always lusted for one of Ed's Garten Bahn FO HGe 4/4 I balcony loks also after first seeing it - maybe in a couple of years. I don't currently have any grades needing a rack on my RR. I may add it to the long straight 1 in 28 leading to the tunnel and the 1 in 28 circular approach to the bridges just for appearance sake.

Reactions: FurkaSOCal