LGB (MTS) PROBLEM

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
I will try and explain this as simply as i can.

My dad has the MTS system, and has 15 locomotives numbered 1-15. Also with a 16th locomotive programed 16 at the shop before delivery brand new. Since, he has got a new locomotive, currently not programed, because the MTS system refuses to program it. It will only do numbers 1-15, unless a higher number is programed at the shop. Are we missing something? Any help much appreciated!

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
<p>No Duncan you aren't, the basic MTS 3 with the controller with the dial control 55016 will only program up to address 15, although it can control up to 22! </p><p>To get the full 22 program capability you need the Universal mobile 55015 or a decoder programmer like the SPROG or MTS PC interface. Sprog would be my choice as it will program more than just LGB decoders if you get other makes in the future.</p><p>Pics below are the Universal remote and the page from your 55016 instructions covering the program capability it.</p>

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
<p>Here's the thread on the SPROG</p><p><a href="thread-view.asp?tid=46&posts=14&start=1">http://www.gscalecentral.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=46&posts=14&start=1</a></p><p>And here is Andrew Crosslands site where you can buy one.</p><p><a href="http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk/">http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk/</a></p><p> </p>

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
It all seems very complicated for someone who likes the simple life. Any price ideas for the SPROG thing?

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
<p>scroll down for current prices</p><p><a href="http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk/shop.html">http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk/shop.html</a></p><p>It isn't really that complicated once it's set up and the SPROG is cheaper than buying a 55015 if you don't need another controller. Have a look at the SPROG thread before you decide to buy it though as you will need to install the software.</p>

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
So to program it, with the sprog, i would need the sprog, software, some track and a loco??? no power to the track? this is how i have interpreted it anyway.....

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
<p>Ok what you need is,</p><p>Track and loco, which you already have,</p><p>SPROG and the power supply &pound;61 currently. The Sprog connects to your PC using the included cable to your USB port attach the power supply to the SPROG and the wires from the output to the track. </p><p>This is a cheaper option than the 55015 unless you also need another controller as thwe 55015 costs around &pound;150</p><p><a href="http://www.dragon-gscale.co.uk/lgb-55015-universal-remote-167-p.asp">http://www.dragon-gscale.co.uk/lgb-55015-universal-remote-167-p.asp</a></p><p> </p>

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Duncan,
As a recent purchaser of one, I can testify that the SPROG works well, and is very good value for the money. It's actually only an interface, the thing that does the real work is the Decoder Pro software which is free. When I set my SPROG up I had a couple of initial problems which were entirely down to the fact that I was using it on a Mac, and had overlooked a step of the installation process particular to Macs - if you've got a PC it will be even simpler. As PaulRhB said already, you don't need a separate power supply for the programming track - just the little mains adaptor which you can buy with the SPROG (I'd advise this rather than sourcing a power adaptor elsewhere, because if you buy it with the SPROG it comes pre-wired to the correct connector plug). The more I use Decoder Pro, the simpler I realise it is - it's very user-friendly and allows you access to everything about your decoders, much more so than trying to program from an LGB handset.
For what it's worth, I'm certainly no computer expert (which is one reason I use a Mac rather than a PC!) and like you, I want things to be as simple as possible. I went the SPROG/DecoderPro route after asking a lot of advice, and so far I'm glad that I did.

Jon.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Hi Duncan. While the SPROG is definitely a great tool, it's worth remembering that the LGB Universal Controller will let you do simple programming (loco IDs and points set-ups for example) very quickly and simply and you don't need to have a computer handy. Although it's not exactly cheap, you will need a 55015 (or a suitable alternative such as Massoth's) if you want to get into remote point control or double-heading locos.

GrahamMills

Many & various. In G scale it is American Diesel.
25 Oct 2009
Lizard, Cornwall, UK
Best answers
<p>As a PC rather than a Mac user can I say that the Sprog is great.</p><p>However you do need to load a lot of software in the correct sequence. No problem if you follow the instructions, which are very good & clear, exactly.</p><p>Any problems just shout. </p>

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
i have the lgb programming module, its very easy to use
i have a massoth controler, again very easy to use and it can program
i have used a sprog.. and found it very good..and easy to use..
all 3 options are good..but cost are differnt

littletone

Land Rover 101, Golf
25 Oct 2009
Sutton, Surrey, just south of London
Best answers
Country flag
I to have a MTS 3 set-up and use a sprog. I find it very easy to use.

Tony...

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
GrahamMills - 25/10/2009 3:36 PM<p>... you do need to load a lot of software in the correct sequence. No problem if you follow the instructions, which are very good & clear, exactly.
</p><p>
</p><p>"Load a lot of software"? For a Windows pc it's a single install process just like most other Windows software. Simples! But this is not the thread to discuss SPROGs in detail, please see PaulRhB's gude to the SPROG. There are several of us who have used one for some time, so if you decide to get one you'll get plenty of support here!</p><p> </p><p>As has been said, it all depends on whether you simply want a cheap way to re-program locos, or whether you would benefit from getting another throttle so that two people can play!
</p>

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
<p>
55.5 - 25/10/2009 4:31 PM Am I missing something here, if the 55016 will control 22 locos, why wont it control number 16 which was programmed by the dealer?
</p><p> </p><p>No it should work, there's something wrong if it won't, you need to check it actually is on 16 try some higher numbers up to 22 just incase he's pressed the wrong one when programming.</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0mm 0mm 0pt"><a href="http://www.champex-linden.de/lgb_produktdatenbank/medien.nsf/medien/5D7DEC7144A028DC8525693100641B88/$FILE/55016_022004.pdf"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">http://www.champex-linden.de/lgb_produktdatenbank/medien.nsf/medien/5D7DEC7144A028DC8525693100641B88/$FILE/55016_022004.pdf</font></a></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0mm 0mm 0pt"> </p><p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"> </font></p> <p> </p>

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
<p>
duncan1_9_8_4 - 25/10/2009 12:23 PM I will try and explain this as simply as i can. My dad has the MTS system, and has 15 locomotives numbered 1-15. Also with a 16th locomotive programed 16 at the shop before delivery brand new. Since, he has got a new locomotive, currently not programed, because the MTS system refuses to program it. It will only do numbers 1-15, unless a higher number is programed at the shop. Are we missing something? Any help much appreciated!
</p><p> </p><p>So, this new loco that you say is not programmed: presumably this responds ok under the default address 3? (decoders should be factory preset to address 3). If all you need is to change the new loco's address to something higher than 15, can you take it to the shop where the other loco was programmed, or round to a friendly local member of this forum? It's just a few seconds' work to plonk a loco on a programming track and change its address.</p><p>If the loco isn't working on address 3 (or any other address up to 22), why not program it to an address from 1 to 15 for now (and don't use the other loco with the same address at the same time) until you can take it somewhere to be set to the address you really want?
</p>

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thats the problem lol, i talk to lots of people on here but not got to the visiting other peoples railways etc thing just yet. The loco came mail order, and didnt know we wouldn't be able to program it. ooooops.

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The MTS system in place will control the loco number 16, as it was programed at the shop. But the actual personal MTS system he has wont program a number higher than 15. Does that make sense lol.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
duncan1_9_8_4 - 25/10/2009 6:03 PM

Thats the problem lol, i talk to lots of people on here but not got to the visiting other peoples railways etc thing just yet. The loco came mail order, and didnt know we wouldn't be able to program it. ooooops.

Have a quick trip over to Tim's at Arcadia. He has the facilities to reprogram it for you. He's in Lancashire too, so you'll see some civilisation! :happy:

I'll get me coat.....

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
or sunny bolton, if its neara... mind you, that would mean we would have to test it, and have a brew!! :)

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
<p>
duncan1_9_8_4 - 25/10/2009 6:05 PM The MTS system in place will control the loco number 16, as it was programed at the shop. But the actual personal MTS system he has wont program a number higher than 15. Does that make sense lol.
</p><p>Yes, makes sense as per the extracts of MTS instructions that were posted earlier (ie. can control up to address 22 but can only program up to address 15). I don't have MTS myself (I have an NCE DCC system + a SPROG). </p><p>If you want to be able to program DCC locos yourself to any address, your options include: </p><p>a different LGB throttle,</p><p>a Massoth Navigator,</p><p>a SPROG PC interface and DecoderPro software,</p><p> an LGB or Massoth PC programmer interface and software,</p><p>a different DCC system.</p><p> </p><p>Of these, the SPROG is the cheapest option (and a user friendly one IMO) assuming you have a PC to use.</p><p>If you just want that one loco sorted out, Mike's made the offer!
</p>