LGB MTS 12010 EPL Switch Drives

homestyal

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Best answers
Hi All, Happy New Year.
Well I've converted all my loco's to MTS and now need to understand LGB switches operated with MTS.

I would like to operate my points (switches) via my hand controller 55015p - All points have 12010 EPL Switch Drives. To achieve this do I only need a 55025 MTS Switch Decoder on each point or do I also need to add a 12070 EPL Supplementary Switch?

Thanks, Rick

craigwrdouglas

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Edinburgh UK
Best answers
Hi,

One 55025 unit will operate up to 4 points. alterantively the Massoth unit 8156001 is a bit cheaper and from verion 1.6, will also control 4 switches.
The numbers are alllocated in blocks of 4.
(your first 55025 will control points 1-4.)

You don't need the 12070. unless you have signals (I think). It's for controlling extra devices when a point changes.

Craig

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
craigwrdouglas said:
Hi,

One 55025 unit will operate up to 4 points. alterantively the Massoth unit 8156001 is a bit cheaper and from verion 1.6, will also control 4 switches.
The numbers are alllocated in blocks of 4.
(your first 55025 will control points 1-4.)

You don't need the 12070. unless you have signals (I think). It's for controlling extra devices when a point changes.

Craig

Just to add to Craig's answer. Both the Massoth and LGB units control 4 outputs, but you can attach more than 1 point per output (for example a crossover or two ends of a loop). The most points I have attached to a single output is 5, but I suspect I was pushing my luck a little.

Regarding the Massoth & LGB units, I have one of each. I found the LGB easier to use as a novice: terminals are colour coded and there is less to set up - in fact nothing needs to be set up if you are going to make your outputs/ points numbers 1-4! On the other hand the Massoth unit is cheaper and can do far more in the way of automated operation, but it does require setting up CVs using your 55015p. Not difficult though.

craigwrdouglas

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Edinburgh UK
Best answers
Hi - yes, the most obvious example of 2 points to a single terminal is the example below:

-------------------- Track A
/
------------------- Track B

but there is also a classic station layout:
--------------------
/
------------------------------------------------

And you can even connect 2 completely unrelated points to the same terminal if the points are not on the main line and if it makes sense operationally. (would need to careful about this if using pc-control.)

The condition of your track and point motors, is probalbly the biggest consideration as to how many you can connect to a single terminal.

Mine is outdoors, largely s/h points, some points are dirty / worn , some are not quite flat, some have been stood on at some point(!), all are ballasted, so it's mainly one point per terminal.(with a few 2s) for me.

My suggestion would be to buy the massoth switch decoders and ask the shop to set them up for you. (this will ensure that you aren't getting old pre-1.6 stock)

You will also need a set of track pickup wires if the switch decoders will be distributed across the layout, and a weather-proof box to put it in (as the switch decoders are not waterproof)

Best wishes,

Craig

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
homestyal said:
Hi Craig,

I thought the 55025 decoder (terminal) is weather proof, is this not the case?

Rick

Nope, the 55025 is not guarenteed to be weather proof. It has limited protection and so it is recomended to site it inside a lineside building or similar.