lgb motors query

Paul2727

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
England
Hi all,

Does anyone know if the standard long shaft LGB Buhler Motor E129 994 (62204)
is the same as the short shaft motor LGB Buhler Motor E126050 (62201)
but with a longer shaft?
I.e. If I move the worm and cut down the shafts will it fit in a short motor loco?

LGB333

LGB333

15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Hi Paul - I pulled out an old "LGB 30 1968 - 1998"catalog and it states the 62201 and 62204 are both Universal DC Motor with Ball Bearings...…….only difference being the longer shaft of the 62204. If you don't mind me asking, how the heck are you going to move the gears on each end of the long shaft motor to be in alignment and firmly I place to work like a short shaft motor? There's a lot of torque applied from those motors to the loco's gears.

I won't wish you happy Turkey Day there in the UK, although my ancestors came from there and there was a gentleman on the Mayflower named "White"!
Best,
Tom

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
In theory, yes..
But getting it right, and not trashing the gears in the motor-block, might-well be a different matter?? :think::nod::nod:

Being a worm-drive, there is a lot of energy to transfer, and it is metal to plastic..

Paul2727

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
England
[QUOTE="how the heck are you going to move the gears on each end of the long shaft motor to be in alignment and firmly I place to work like a short shaft motor? There's a lot of torque applied from those motors to the loco's gears.
Tom[/QUOTE]

I've removed / replaced / reset a fair few LGB worm drives by using pin point heat on the worm and carefully marking the shaft in relation to the starting point of of the worms thread ( inner end.) to ensure correct alignment and distance from end of motor shaft. It's tricky to be sure, but not much worse than aligning replacement cogs. Never tried it on a long shaft one though, so may not be worth the effort.

Neil Robinson

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
I've removed / replaced / reset a fair few LGB worm drives by using pin point heat on the worm and carefully marking the shaft in relation to the starting point of of the worms thread ( inner end.) to ensure correct alignment and distance from end of motor shaft. It's tricky to be sure, but not much worse than aligning replacement cogs. Never tried it on a long shaft one though, so may not be worth the effort.
Same here but I have a strip of metal the thickness of which matches the gap between motor and worm. It has a slot cut in it very slightly wider than the shaft diameter. In addition to using it as a "feeler gauge" when reassembling I use it when removing the worm. I support the motor with it so that the motor drops onto a soft surface as soon as the worm has expanded sufficiently.

Take a look at post number 7 in this topic.
LGB motor repair and testing. - G Scale Central

Last edited:
D

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA
I use a mini torch and when heated the brass worm gear falls off!! just do one at a time and wait a few minutes so as not to conduct the heat to the motor before doing the other one.

Heat just the loose gear and quickly insert the motor shaft into the gear. For converting a long shaft to short, just heat the gear ans slide it towards the motor. Use pliers or some other tool, not yourfingers to slide the gear.

L

LGeoB

Registered
12 Dec 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Where are the ball bearings? Every LGB motor I've pulled apart just uses plain (phosphor bronze?) bushings for bearings. I know about the external thrust ball bearings on the old Stainz.

Geoff

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Where are the ball bearings? Every LGB motor I've pulled apart just uses plain (phosphor bronze?) bushings for bearings. I know about the external thrust ball bearings on the old Stainz.

Geoff
I think that is what is being alluded to.. ??

stockers

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
More recent Buhler motors used in Marklin LGB do have ball bearings.

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
L

LGeoB

Registered
12 Dec 2017
Perth, Western Australia