LGB Mikado 21v vs. 24v Question

Wr3ckage

Wr3ckage

Registered
10 Feb 2020
Long island
Hey guys just wondering if anyone may know the answer to this. Just noticed the Mikado had a volt range up to 24v. My DCC control unit from ESU goes up to 21v. Does anyone know if the LGB Mikado can run all of its features and speed using 21v?

Gizzy

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Should be fine. My Massoth DCC runs at 18 V....

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Would probably be at around world steam record breaking speed at full voltage. Record held by a British Locomotive in case you were unaware, had to get that in we win so few other things.

Wr3ckage

Wr3ckage

Registered
10 Feb 2020
Long island
Would probably be at around world steam record breaking speed at full voltage. Record held by a British Locomotive in case you were unaware, had to get that in we win so few other things.
I am looking to reach 88 MPH.

LGB333

LGB333

Hey guys just wondering if anyone may know the answer to this. Just noticed the Mikado had a volt range up to 24v. My DCC control unit from ESU goes up to 21v. Does anyone know if the LGB Mikado can run all of its features and speed using 21v?
You don't indicate which specific LGB xxx locomotive you have which helps to pin point answers to questions. But if your loco has a DCC decoder installed, the specific decoder has an operating voltage range. The decoder then converts the DCC current to DC to power the Buhler motor(s), lights, smoke unit, etc. Also, you should be aware that the voltage your Command Station outputs to the track drops by about 1 1/2 volts through the decoder's output. So, if your Command Station outputs 21 volts DCC to your track, then the maximum voltage output to the locomotive's devices reduces down to about 19.5 volts. As already stated, this is plenty of voltage to operate your loco.

Wr3ckage

Wr3ckage

Registered
10 Feb 2020
Long island
You don't indicate which specific LGB xxx locomotive you have which helps to pin point answers to questions. But if your loco has a DCC decoder installed, the specific decoder has an operating voltage range. The decoder then converts the DCC current to DC to power the Buhler motor(s), lights, smoke unit, etc. Also, you should be aware that the voltage your Command Station outputs to the track drops by about 1 1/2 volts through the decoder's output. So, if your Command Station outputs 21 volts DCC to your track, then the maximum voltage output to the locomotive's devices reduces down to about 19.5 volts. As already stated, this is plenty of voltage to operate your loco.
It's an LGB 27872 Mikado. The most recent one.

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
So, I used to use an NCE system, and it delivered somewhere between 20.1 to 20.3 volts at the output (actual measurement).

I was running a passenger train, and notice that it did not run very fast, and the top speed it could attain was about 62 to 65 smph, and of course the typical speed was closer to 90 on long passenger runs.

When I changed to Zimo, and got the full 24 volts, then I could hit 92 to 94.

Now, before everyone comes out of the woodwork, all I wanted was to be able to hit a scale top speed, not always run it at this speed. But part of my operations is to have a freight circulating around the layout at a sedate 45 smph, and then the passenger comes along, and the freight needs to take a siding to allow the higher priority train to pass, the difference in speeds adding challenge and interest.

I have found certain locos are geared much lower than others, so to speed match them I needed the higher voltage on the rails. Also, another good example of a loco that runs much better with 24v on the rails is the LGB track cleaner.

So, this is what I have found. Normally steam locos are not the issue of being unable to reach top speed.

Greg

D

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA
The Mikado will run on16 volts, but not fast. I am with Greg in that my old system had 25 volts DCC on the track, newer system is 24 volts. I can run anything slow, but my diesel passenger train needs a fast speed and I use the LGB 1800 switches and go thru at full speed!!
Also note I can program my decoders to limit the top speed of a loco, plus at low speeds I can do 'half' speed which really takes speed steps 1-128 and makes then look like 256 steps with only the lower half available.