LGB dealers in the south yorkshire area

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
To the best of my knowledge there are very few Big Time Dealers in your area. Unless someone knows better. However, M.G.Sharpe Models at 712 Attercliffe Road Sheffield has odd bits of LGB in usually. Also Rails of Sheffield 27/29 Chesterfield Road Sheffield have LGB usually second hand which they sometimes list on Ebay. Links included below.

http://www.mgsharp.com/

http://railsofsheffield.com/

Hope this helps.
JonD

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Wakefield Model Railway Centre is a bit of both. Arts + Crafts downstairs and Model railways upstairs. They are a veritable Aladins cave of all things Model. The LGB is a bit limited, but every time I visit they appear to have a bit more. So if you are in Barnsley worth a punt. Did not mention them earlier as I thought that you would be further south.
JonD

The Devonian

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
<p><font color="#9900cc"><font size="3"><font face="times new roman,times">Deano, </font></font></font></p><p><font color="#9900cc"><font size="3"><font face="times new roman,times"> Your specific enquiry was about South Yorkshire, about which I know little (well it is north of the north/south divide which I believe to be just around Birmingham :rofl: ) so I have held my post until you got replies about your area or thereabouts. </font></font></font></p><p><font color="#9900cc"><font size="3"><font face="times new roman,times"> I have seven locos and over fifty items of stock yet I have never been in a model shop. I have purchased from the known, in my view, best suppliers and usually the most competitive, who regularly get a mention on this Forum and the erstwhile GSM. Regular perusal of their web sites will let you know what they have - and in particular the marque you mention in your original post - their prices and delivery charges. I have found in the past that prices vary considerably plus I also think it is much better to pay, say &pound;3 - &pound;7 next day delivery, than drive many miles especially considering the cost of fuel presently. </font></font></font></p><p><font color="#9900cc"><font size="3"><font face="times new roman,times"> I have one yardstick: I only buy from <em>retailers who only sell large scale trains</em>. Those who sell many scales and sizes <em>usually</em>* are not so well informed and well stocked. The costs of our hobby can be daunting, so research well and choose carefully and wisely.</font></font></font></p><p><font color="#9900cc"><font size="3"><font face="times new roman,times"> {* <em>Just my findings over three years or so</em>}
</font></font></font></p>

annieshalt

annieshalt

garden railways
24 Oct 2009
CLEVELAND
have you tried the railway shop at grosmont deano??,they mainly stock arristocraft but they also have some lgb,you will find trevor or silvia,very friendly and if its not in stock they can get it for you.having used them in the past i can recomend them. :clap:

The Devonian

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
<p><font color="#990066"><font size="3"><font face="times new roman,times">Many thanks Tac for your comments. </font></font></font></p><p><font color="#990066"><font size="3"><font face="times new roman,times"> Apart from some Aristo stock (two locos,and five boxcars) which were purchased from the States, Andrew at Garden Rail CENTRES and Jeremy of Dragon GScale have managed to prise money from my grip since setting out in the hobby almost four years ago. :D
</font></font></font></p>

duncan1_9_8_4

duncan1_9_8_4

Real Ale, Camping It Up, Traveling and the likes.
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
I also have this problem of obtaining anything G SCALE. I live in West Yorkshire and there is nothing really. Even Wakefield Model Shop are not a reliable retailer, seliing only a few odd bits. Thank Gog for the internet! Went to Wakefield Model Railway show, where bargains are normally to be had, but the G Scale retailer present was very expensive, when compared to internet. I wanted some Piko six wheelers which they had, but they were £109 a pop, went on net and got them for 97 each.......

Steve

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
Staff member
GSC Moderator
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
<p>
duncan1_9_8_4 - 4/12/2009 11:17 PM I also have this problem of obtaining anything G SCALE. I live in West Yorkshire and there is nothing really. Even Wakefield Model Shop are not a reliable retailer, seliing only a few odd bits. Thank Gog for the internet! Went to Wakefield Model Railway show, where bargains are normally to be had, but the G Scale retailer present was very expensive, when compared to internet. I wanted some Piko six wheelers which they had, but they were &pound;109 a pop, went on net and got them for 97 each.......
</p><p>Thats only &pound;12.00 saving not a large amount , the shop guys over head are much greater .</p>

duncan1_9_8_4

duncan1_9_8_4

Real Ale, Camping It Up, Traveling and the likes.
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
its a big saving when you want 4 of them, and as far as i am aware, TOP SLOTS AND TRAINS have a shop in Blackpool, as does DRAGON G SCALE does in Wales

garrymartin

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
Hi There,
I generally jump in the car , & go to Classic at Cleethorpes as its only a quick blast up the M 18 ,M180 . takes about an hour. That way you also get a trip to the seaside & the oppotunity for great fish & chips too . not to mention the Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway.
Cheers Garry

Z

Zman

Registered
<p>
tac - 4/12/2009 6:11 PM Ahem, guys, the whole darn country is only about 500 miles from the bottom to the top.....and you all seem to be talking about a county just north of the centre mass. Would I be right in assuming that you all have your own means of transport to get around? And that you can buy supplies to sustain life almost anywhere along the route? :D I'm astonished that you don't seem to be fazed by flying around the world, but look on crossing a county almost the same size as one of the smaller provincial parks like the first transit of the North West Passage... tac <a href="http://www.ovgrs.org[/QUOTE">www.ovgrs.org[/QUOTE</a>]</p><p>:rolleyes: What, someone would WANT to leave Yorkshire :banghead: ;) </p>

The Devonian

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
<p><font color="#000000"><font size="3"><font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif">Mention of shop visits was made in an earlier post. My nearest model store is some 80 miles away in Cornwall, or Jeremy in South Wales (about 150 miles - a long way for a drink! :D ) so internet viewing has proven very useful to me. I have been able to see what I wanted and none, I repeat none, of my purchases have ever had any issues - including those items bought from the United States. </font></font></font></p><p><font color="#000000"><font size="3"><font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif">A monetary saving was also mentioned. Indeed, many of us buy more than one of an item and as such price differential, no matter how small, does often become quite a significant factor.</font></font></font></p><p><font color="#000000"><font size="3"><font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif">One advantage of internet viewing is that one is less likely to buy impulsively and possibly make expensive mistakes. As we progress in the hobby our views and operations often change it is therefore a good idea to be versed in what is available its price and stock location. Not all dealers stock, or even sell, some large scale manufacturers ranges. </font></font></font></p><p><font color="#000000"><font size="3"><font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif"> <font color="#0000cc">Tac: you mentioned the 'wall of trains'. I thought of the store in Colorado but then realized you had seen a previous link to somewhere in the North West of England. :rofl: </font>
</font></font></font></p><p> </p>

Alpineandy

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Deano,

all the shops I use have been mentioned so far.
However there is a garden railway show in September organised by the 16mm Society at Elsecar Heritage Centre (right on your doorstep) this is well worth a visit as you can always find LGB stuff and many other brands (Aristo/Bachmann etc) plus 16mm stuff that goes well with G scale on sale there. The Society's website is also useful as it lists suppliers of garden railway equipment around the country.
Keep an eye on the for sale section on this forum as well, you shouldn't have too much trouble in picking up a stainz.