LGB CHRISTMAS SET 21540

P

PeterRocco

Registered
28 Nov 2019
Staten Island, NY
Hello
I just bought a NOS Set. Is the locomotive looks like Model 2020 is this a Smoking Loco?
If not what kit do I buy to change it to Smoke?
Thank You
Pete

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Give us a link to what you have bought, and we will tel you.. :)

D

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA
If there is no smoke in the engine picture on the box, then the engine does not have smoke and usually not the wiring either if using the switch lever on the bottom of the engine.
If no holding nut on the bottom of the engine then you will be taking it apart to run the wire through the engine to the firebox area where most connections reside.

LGB333

LGB333

Peter - As Dan indicates, it's possible to install a smoke unit into the Stainz but you'll need to run wires from the smoke unit to either the circuit board in the firebox, or to the track power wires coming from the motor block. You'll need an 18 volt or 24 volt smoke unit. So, the installation is not an easy "plug and Play" solution. But if you really want to do it, your can further advice on this forum how to disassemble the loco and set up the wiring. Alternatively, it would be better to buy one of these Stainz loco sets that already has a factory-installed smoke unit.
Tom

P

PeterRocco

Registered
28 Nov 2019
Staten Island, NY
Peter - As Dan indicates, it's possible to install a smoke unit into the Stainz but you'll need to run wires from the smoke unit to either the circuit board in the firebox, or to the track power wires coming from the motor block. You'll need an 18 volt or 24 volt smoke unit. So, the installation is not an easy "plug and Play" solution. But if you really want to do it, your can further advice on this forum how to disassemble the loco and set up the wiring. Alternatively, it would be better to buy one of these Stainz loco sets that already has a factory-installed smoke unit.
Tom
Hi
Thank You for the Great Help. I understand. Maybe I take it to the Train Shop not too far from me.
Could you Please see The Picture. What is that Silver wire I see coming from the motor to that Black screw? Where I would screw the on/ off lever that comes with the Smoke Stack?
Thank You
Peter

Attachments

LGB333

LGB333

Peter - There are two electrical connections from the track power picked up by the wheels and slider shoes that provide juice to a smoke unit. I couldn't see the details of the front of your loco and the wire you are talking about. But in the older Stainz locos with a smoke unit and the metal clip that can move off and onto the electrical connection on the bottom of the metal smoker's shaft, that's one of the input power wires to the smoker. The metal clip can be moved onto the end of the smoker shaf which provides the electircal contact.....when you move it off the end of the smoker shaft, it disengages the power and the smoke is not heated anymore. I've attached two LGB Parts Diagrams for STainz locos which you can study to see where the smoker's shaft goes into the square unit in the front of the loco. This should help you install the smoker, if your particular Stainz has that configuration to accommodate the metal shaft type smokers.

Attachments

P

PeterRocco

Registered
28 Nov 2019
Staten Island, NY
Hi
Thank You So Much for the Diagrams.. Very Helpful. Set is made in 2006.
I already took too much of your time.
But here is another picture of the bare silver wire.
Thank You Tom

Attachments

LGB333

LGB333

Okay, that's the metal wire that carries one of the two power leads to the smoker's shaft. Does the smoke unit you bought have that metal clip with a hole in it that you'd add to the black screw shown? So you'll unscrew the dummy smoker shaft from the loco.....you may have to take some plyers to hold the nut on the bottom of the loco. Then you'd insert the smoker unit back through the top hole you removed the dummy smoke unit and then tighten up that nut . You'll see a brass pin on the bottom of the shaft which provides the electrical input inside the smoker's shaft when the slider arm is moved over to touch it. There's also inside the hole where the smoker shaft goes a piece of metal contact material that touches the metal shaft which provides the other electrical contact to power the smoker, so you have DC current (+) and (-) inputs to the smoker.

P

PeterRocco

Registered
28 Nov 2019
Staten Island, NY
Okay, that's the metal wire that carries one of the two power leads to the smoker's shaft. Does the smoke unit you bought have that metal clip with a hole in it that you'd add to the black screw shown? So you'll unscrew the dummy smoker shaft from the loco.....you may have to take some plyers to hold the nut on the bottom of the loco. Then you'd insert the smoker unit back through the top hole you removed the dummy smoke unit and then tighten up that nut . You'll see a brass pin on the bottom of the shaft which provides the electrical input inside the smoker's shaft when the slider arm is moved over to touch it. There's also inside the hole where the smoker shaft goes a piece of metal contact material that touches the metal shaft which provides the other electrical contact to power the smoker, so you have DC current (+) and (-) inputs to the smoker.
Hi Tom
Yes, here is what came in the Smoke Kit.
So Simple Exchange Of Original Shaft With New Smoker Stack And Install that Washer With the On/Off Switch And Add Oil and It should Work Great!
You have Helped Me SO MUCH!
Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Sincerely
Pete

Attachments

Paul2727

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
England
Hi Tom
Yes, here is what came in the Smoke Kit.
So Simple Exchange Of Original Shaft With New Smoker Stack And Install that Washer With the On/Off Switch And Add Oil and It should Work Great!
You have Helped Me SO MUCH!
Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Sincerely
Pete
Hi,
Just my halfpenny's worth.
It's worth noting that the nut sits in a shallow hexagon shaped recess. Do not turn the nut with a spanned. Hold the nut with a spanner and unscrew the chimney by hand. Reassembly is the same in reverse.
I have come across locos where someone tried turning the nut and damaged the plastic section it sits in.
Also, as your loco has the bottom wire fitted it probably does have the top on too, but I have seen examples where this is not the case. The easiest way to check it to do a continuity check between the original 'non smoking' chimney and the wheels. You should get continuity from one side or the other. Do not fit the switching bar to the 'non smoking' chimney as this will result in a dead short.
Regards,
Paul.

P

PeterRocco

Registered
28 Nov 2019
Staten Island, NY
Hi,
Just my halfpenny's worth.
It's worth noting that the nut sits in a shallow hexagon shaped recess. Do not turn the nut with a spanned. Hold the nut with a spanner and unscrew the chimney by hand. Reassembly is the same in reverse.
I have come across locos where someone tried turning the nut and damaged the plastic section it sits in.
Also, as your loco has the bottom wire fitted it probably does have the top on too, but I have seen examples where this is not the case. The easiest way to check it to do a continuity check between the original 'non smoking' chimney and the wheels. You should get continuity from one side or the other. Do not fit the switching bar to the 'non smoking' chimney as this will result in a dead short.
Regards,
Paul.
Hello
Thank You. Very Helpful Information. I will do what you say.
Sincerely
Pete