LGB Aster Frank S Live Steam Loco

Buy now for 700.00 GBP
You don't have the permission to purchase
funandtrains

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
This loco has had a reasonable amount of use and was fitted with r/c but this has been partially removed but would be easy to refit. The buff heads have got broken off, head lamp is damaged and tender flag poles missing but otherwise in reasonable condition. Tender top is loose to allow access for R/C gear.
123505_3e3fe110b26304833199c15eacad0e9a.jpg

JimmyB

JimmyB

Phase 1 complete, roll on Phase 2
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Is there a price!!!

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
I don't see a price, Steve?
I'm only asking to assist others, as I've already got one myself!

Jon.

Edit: Jimmy beat me to it while I was typing!

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
"Load's a'money!" I'm guessing? ;)

Well, out of my experience, and comfort-zone.. :think::(

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
"Load's a'money!" I'm guessing? ;)

Well, out of my experience, and comfort-zone.. :think::(
Well, I bought mine as a first foray into Live Steam and have been very happy with it. A well cared for example will give you a very docile and easy to operate loco, whether on RC or manual, and of course it has the great plus that it is a perfect match for all the LGB German rolling stock that many of us already own. LGB made a big blunder by ordering FAR too many of these from Aster (3000 or so, I believe, when 500-1000 would have been much more realistic), so there are still quite a few about - even some never-steamed MIB ones - more than 25 years after the single production batch was made.
Based on my experiences, I'd say that for an LGB fan who runs mostly track power but fancies just dipping a toe into the LS world, a good one of these is a very practical starting point.

Steve, sorry for the temporary thread hijack, hope you find a buyer!

Jon.

funandtrains

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Is there a price!!!
Price is at top right of page! It is the new GSC sales system that puts in there and it is £700

funandtrains

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Garden Railways Ltd have got similar looking Regner lamps and buffers if you wish to replace.

funandtrains

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
These are similar to the simpler Accucraft, Merlin and Regner locos to operate as they have piston valve cylinders with a reversing valve to change direction and a butane gas burner.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
First time I have seen that.. - Price top-right..
Another upgrade! ??

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Price is at top right of page! It is the new GSC sales system that puts in there and it is £700
Still took me a long time to find it.

I like the idea though :nod::nod:

funandtrains

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
First time I have seen that.. - Price top-right..
Another upgrade! ??
The system wouldn't let finish the post and kept asking for a price, and it took me a while to notice I had to scroll down the page to find the box I had to fill in with the price!

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Still took me a long time to find it.

I like the idea though :nod::nod:
Yeah, me too - even after being told where to look, it took a while to spot the green box!
For other sellers in future, it might be worth stating the price again in the body of the text, to avoid similar confusion...? I will certainly do that for any items that I put up for sale.

Jon.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
The system wouldn't let finish the post and kept asking for a price, and it took me a while to notice I had to scroll down the page to find the box I had to fill in with the price!
Have to say that I like the idea of forcing a Price to be added. Many new sellers are not always up to scratch with the full deal on selling via this site so every bit of help they get during that first attempt is to be applauded. After all as most of us are guys, reading Instructions is definitely cheeting.

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
These are similar to the simpler Accucraft, Merlin and Regner locos to operate as they have piston valve cylinders with a reversing valve to change direction and a butane gas burner.

Steve, you mention that the RC gear has been "partially removed" - so what is actually there and what isn't? These were designed for single-channel operation with just one servo operating the reversing lever, the idea being that you open the regulator wide and then drive the loco on the reverser only, using it for both direction and speed control. Mine lights easily and runs well, and looks good with a G-scale coach rake behind it - I tend to run some cheap Naughty Newqida coaches with it so that I don't get my nicer and much more expensive LGB ones grubby and oily!
It is definitely a reasonably beginner-friendly loco, it has a large and easy to see water glass in the actual boiler backhead, and the pressure gauge is facing upwards in the middle of the cab roof - it should have a push-on square rubber cover over the gauge which is shaped to look like the cab roof vent, but if the cover is missing then of course it doesn't affect the operation at all.
Provided it runs OK, I think £700 sounds a fair price for this obviously well-used example - mine was fully boxed with all accessories and tools, plus it had received a new gas tank (relocated to the left side tank of the loco, instead of the factory location inside a water bath in the tender), and I paid £995 for it from Simon at ANG.

Jon.

funandtrains

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Sensible offers will be considered...

Buy now for 700.00 GBP
You don't have the permission to purchase