LGB #65001 American Steam Module

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Hi, guys! I've been looking at sound decoders recently, and I found this on Ebay:

It comes with the external sound volume control module, and it's the one I've been looking for , as I like the fact that the sound control module can be placed anywhere in the tender.
So, here are my questions :
I've read that the main module can be taken apart ,and that it can be mounted in the tender just like a normal sound board and speaker can.
Are there any real advantages to doing this?
Also, would I be better off,if I mount it this way, to buy either a larger TCS, or Soundtraxx, large scale speaker for better sound quality,or is the speaker included with the unit just as good as those others are?
Thanks guys!
Andrew

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
East Anglia
www.facebook.com
The LGB sound modules are pretty good and if you can get them cheaply, a real bargain.
I used to attach a larger speaker to the unit. I used 2.5 or 3" vistaton speakers.
You can also hook up wheel based magnets and hall sensor chuff trigger to some of them (depending on age).

LGB333

Hi Andrew - I'm actually the eBay seller of the LGB American Steam Sound Module. I'm also a LGB Authorized Servicer Center and installer of multiple brand DCC sound decoders into customer locomotives. The small speaker inside the Module's black case is good quality, but the basic principle is on locomotive sound installation speakers is "the larger the better" the sound quality when comparing speaker size performance. I've installed this sound module in several customer LGB Mogul locomotive's tenders where I desolder the speaker wires and remove the sound board from the black case and solder the wires to a Massoth 57mm 2 Watt 8 Ohm speaker that fits perfectly into the tender's speaker fixture. Some of the older Moguls' tenders don't have the speaker baffle already embedded into the base of the tender so you then have to drill the holes for the speaker sound to exit. I place velcro across the top of the entire speaker magnet and then one velcro strip on the bottom of the sound board which then protects it from any physical contact with metal. I have several short demo videos on my Website of recent sound decoder installations I've done for customers; LGB locomotives of each type decoder I install: Massoth; ESU; Phoenix; and the LGB Sound Module which I also adjusted the voltage start up to be in sync with the Mogul's wheels movement. There's no need to use a Hall Sensor for the chuff; the electronic chuff sounds are super and can be sync with the loco's wheels movement but must be done with a DCC system to access the CVs, or using a Massoth or LGB PC Programming Module. While the LGB Sound Module is good, it only has six sounds besides the chuff sounds. The Massoth S sound decoder, which I also sell, is a little more expensive, but has 13 plus the chuff........many more features and CV adjustments available. Both of these sound decoders only require the two wires to be connected someplace to track power, and can operate on either DC Analog or DCC Digital power, but to activate the full range of the sound features of either one, they must be operated on a DCC system.

You can contact me directly, if you want, by email: OldDominionRailways@gmail.com
My Website: OldDominionRailways.com

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Thanks for the replies! I looked into the Massoth speaker that you mentioned,but I couldn't find one. Do you sell them?
Thanks!
Andrew

LGB333

Thanks for the replies! I looked into the Massoth speaker that you mentioned,but I couldn't find one. Do you sell them?
Thanks!
Andrew
Andrew - Yes, I do sell them..........they're found on my Website, on the DCC Components Page.........$15.