LGB #65001 American Steam Module Now Installed

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Hi,guys! I finished installing the module in the tender of my LGB #23191 Mogul last night. You can see it running with the sound on for the very first time here:

Watch the video on youtube for the complete description of how this sound module was installed, and what I did.

I also have included a couple of photos of the installation. Note that the speaker is not installed. It didn't arrive until the next day, and I promptly installed, reassembled the tender , and tested it just this morning.
Hope you will enjoy it , and find it helpful !
Andrew

Attachments

• 20210116_130211.jpg
    20210116_130211.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210116_130216.jpg
    20210116_130216.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 0

LGB333

Andrew - Good work on your installation...........sounds excellent. You can adjust the sound module's chuff to to 2 or 4 chuffs per wheel revolution to be in sync with the Mogul's wheel revolutions using a DCC system or a Massoth or LGB PC Interface Module. You would need to put the mogul on a test stand with roller wheels to test the Mogul's wheel revolutions as you make ajustments to the CVs on the sound module. On the LGB 65001 installs I've done in Moguls' tenders, I've changed CV193=30 (Start Threshold Analog) from the factory default setting of CV193=128. I also changed CV2=5 (Start Up Voltage) from the factory default setting CV2=2. These setting produce 4 chuffs per Mogul wheel revolution.

Reactions: 1 user

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Andrew - Good work on your installation...........sounds excellent. You can adjust the sound module's chuff to to 2 or 4 chuffs per wheel revolution to be in sync with the Mogul's wheel revolutions using a DCC system or a Massoth or LGB PC Interface Module. You would need to put the mogul on a test stand with roller wheels to test the Mogul's wheel revolutions as you make ajustments to the CVs on the sound module. On the LGB 65001 installs I've done in Moguls' tenders, I've changed CV193=30 (Start Threshold Analog) from the factory default setting of CV193=128. I also changed CV2=5 (Start Up Voltage) from the factory default setting CV2=2. These setting produce 4 chuffs per Mogul wheel revolution.
Thank you! The Massoth speaker you sold me is a vast improvement over the factory speaker. Much better sound.
As far as changing any CV values goes, all I have is this:

I just received it from Tony's Train Exchange a couple of days ago.
It was bought primarily for my On30 scale trains ( I bought another Bachmann 4-6-0 ,and I'm changing it from the factory installed Soundtraxx DCC system to a TCS WOW V4 kit . I also adding a TCS #1694 High Bass ,28mm speaker for better sound quality. I also still have 3 non-DCC Bachmann Moguls, a Bachmann 4-6-0 with MCR Loco Genie DCC installed, a Bachmann 2-6-6-2 with factory installed DCC and a TCS WOW #1521 21 pin sound decoder with a Soundtraxx 27mm high bass speaker that I added to it,and a BLI D&RGW #268 "Bumblebee" paint scheme 2-8-0 that has factory installed DCC ,and Quantum sound ).
The manufacturer says 5240025 Power Cab is for O and HO scale,but I'm wondering if it can be used to reprogram my G scale trains (Piko and LGB) without actually trying to power them.
Do you think that the Power Cab will work to reprogram the LGB, or do I need a better DCC control system for that ?
Thanks!

Last edited:

LGB333

Thank you! The Massoth speaker you sold me is a vast improvement over the factory speaker. Much better sound.
As far as changing any CV values goes, all I have is this:

I just received it from Tony's Train Exchange a couple of days ago.
It was bought primarily for my On30 scale trains ( I bought another Bachmann 4-6-0 ,and I'm changing it from the factory installed Soundtraxx DCC system to a TCS WOW V4 kit . I also adding a TCS #1694 High Bass ,28mm speaker for better sound quality. I also still have 3 non-DCC Bachmann Moguls, a Bachmann 4-6-0 with MCR Loco Genie DCC installed, a Bachmann 2-6-6-2 with factory installed DCC and a TCS WOW #1521 21 pin sound decoder with a Soundtraxx 27mm high bass speaker that I added to it,and a BLI D&RGW #268 "Bumblebee" paint scheme 2-8-0 that has factory installed DCC ,and Quantum sound ).
The manufacturer says 5240025 Power Cab is for O and HO scale,but I'm wondering if it can be used to reprogram my G scale trains (Piko and LGB) without actually trying to power them.
Do you think that the Power Cab will work to reprogram the LGB, or do I need a better DCC control system for that ?
Thanks!
What's the DCC output voltage from your Power Cab to the track? If it's made for HO and O scale, it might not have sufficient amps to program large scale decoders........I don't know. The G scale decoders are usually 18 volts and up, but I'm not a DCC electronics expert. There are others on this forum like Greg Elmassian who's a DCC expert that can advise you if the Power Cab's specs are sufficient for a large scale decoder like the LGB 65001. I do know that some NEC DCC command stations don't have sufficient power to program Massoth decoder CVs.......they can run the locomotive with the Massoth decoder but not program the CVs.

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
The powercab will program it fine.

Programming (i.e. service mode) is low voltage and low current.

You can program Massoth decoders too, but the Massoth often has timing issues, and other quirks, that's why I no longer use them. I can tell you a year long horror story about this.

Some old technology sound decoders will need a booster (current not voltage) for service mode. The SoundTraxx PTB-100 can solve those issues most of the time.

I refuse to be forced to buy a specific brand of DCC system because the decoder has non-standard requirements for service mode programmin... like disconnecting power just after programming a CV, a VERY common problem with European decoders.. I went through this with some of the Train-Li turnout controllers early on.

Greg

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Thanks, guys!
Greg:
I bought a TCS WOW V4 with motherboard and sound for a Bachmann On30 4-6-0. the installation seemed to be pretty easy, so I tried installing it myself. I'm having problems. The sound works, and it runs. The problem is, it runs forward in reverse, and reverse in forward. It only stops when I hit the emergency brake on the hand held.
I tried reversing the power wires on the motherboard,but that didn't change anything.
I was also unable to connect either light, or the 2 pin plug. When I connected them, the whole thing got hot ,and started making a whining noise, so I disconnected them.
I've followed the instructions as best as I could, and I'm getting frustrated with it.
I tried calling tech support at TCS, but their tech guy is out until Feb.02.
Is there any advice that you can offer me?
Thanks!
Andrew

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Thanks, guys!
Greg:
I bought a TCS WOW V4 with motherboard and sound for a Bachmann On30 4-6-0. the installation seemed to be pretty easy, so I tried installing it myself. I'm having problems. The sound works, and it runs. The problem is, it runs forward in reverse, and reverse in forward. It only stops when I hit the emergency brake on the hand held.
I tried reversing the power wires on the motherboard,but that didn't change anything.
I was also unable to connect either light, or the 2 pin plug. When I connected them, the whole thing got hot ,and started making a whining noise, so I disconnected them.
I've followed the instructions as best as I could, and I'm getting frustrated with it.
I tried calling tech support at TCS, but their tech guy is out until Feb.02.
Is there any advice that you can offer me?
Thanks!
Andrew
Reversing the power wires is no good. You may have caused the issue of getting hot as you may have inadvertantly reverced the track power from the loco and not the tender. There are 2 ways to correct the forwards/reverce issue that you have. One a CV can be changed to do it or you reverse the wires that go direct to the motor.

Reactions: 1 user

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Reversing the power wires is no good. You may have caused the issue of getting hot as you may have inadvertantly reverced the track power from the loco and not the tender. There are 2 ways to correct the forwards/reverce issue that you have. One a CV can be changed to do it or you reverse the wires that go direct to the motor.
Thank you. I was already considering the option of reversing the motor wire connections, but I wanted to ask someone more knowledgeable about the subject before proceeding further.
It runs perfectly now after the motor wires were reversed.
I'm still goin to have to talk to TCS about restoring the rear light, and why the locomotive keeps on running after I set the throttle to zero. It may be programed that way, using the remaining voltage in the internal Keep Alive system, but I still want to know if that is normal.
I made a short video of it being tested on my desktop track.

Thanks again!
Andrew

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
I had the same issue, with the Wowsound still running after calling for speed step 0.

I think there is a mode where it goes forever unless you hit the brake. I won't go on more, I was thoroughly disappointed with that decoder, I found many issues, it also does not like to program in service mode.

I know there have been several firmware revisions (which you cannot do yourself).

It has other issues with custom speed tables, in fact the entire line of TCS decoders has a math bug in custom speed tables. I got rid of all my TCS Z scale decoders, which must have custom speed tables.

Greg

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Hmm... it's beginning to sound like I should have opted for a Soundtraxx DCC decoder setup instead of the one made by TCS.
I don't have this issue with any of the other DCC On30 locomotives I own.
Probably too late to get my money back.
The Broadway Limited Imports #268 D&RGW 2-8-0 has a DCC system made by Quntum Sound, and it runs flawlessly.
Interesting...

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Well, I learned the hard way with TCS, had to replace 4 or 5 decoders... it happens... sometimes the "fan boys" of a particular manufacturer don't tell all they know when you are trying to research about a product.

Greg

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Well, I learned the hard way with TCS, had to replace 4 or 5 decoders... it happens... sometimes the "fan boys" of a particular manufacturer don't tell all they know when you are trying to research about a product.

Greg
I totally understand that. I contacted the seller about my issues with the TCS decoder that I put in my 4-6-0. He helped me out a lot with getting this thing whipped into shape, but I really am now wishing that I had opted for a Soundtraxx DCC setup for this loco.
I don't really like Audio Assist! It's too confusing, and I definitely prefer CV setup over this Audio Assist thing!
I have made a couple of videos of the 2-6-6-2 ,and the 4-6-0 that I posted to youtube.
This is the 4-6-0:
And this is the 2-6-6-2:
They sound great, but the operation of the 4-6-0 isn't exactly what I expected.
The issue of it continuing to run after the throttle is turned to zero seems to be helped by adjusting the momentum setting on my handheld to 0. But braking still brings it to a faster stop.

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
I've also found that if you reverse direction, sometimes the sound goes away:

running forwards, sound fine
reverse direction sound mutes
loco starts to run in reverse
a few seconds later, sound returns

And this is after several firmware updates, and you cannot update the firmware yourself...

Yep, they are off the plate for me, and unfortunately they made nice drop-in decoders for Z scale, which is plenty tricky...

Greg