lgb 55021 decoder

dumpy

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Threshfield, nr Skipton
Best answers
Have installed this decoder in a Bachmann porter. Works fine including lights so no problem. Now having done this and run it for a time and cos am stuck inside with weather, thought I would go a step further and activate the smoke function, something I have never bothered with in the past. So my question is which pins do I use. Am presuming from attached pic it is the function 1 pin and another but which? Furthermore how does one tie in this function to the LGB 55015 controller? Am sure this is all very simple to you experienced people out there but I am still finding my way

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
yes funtion 1 and the voltage pin, the voltagge is set at 5 volts ...:Dyou can alter the voltage via a interface(lgb-sprog-l;gb handset, programable)

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Function outputs use the common positive function output - any of the "Voltage U+" connections, plus the F1 (or F2 or whatever) connection depending on which function you wish to use.

My only concern would be whether or not the decoder function output can take the load of the smoke unit? I don't know, you'd have to measure the current drawn by the smoke unit and check the specs for the 55021. In other threads regarding DCC and smoke units we've noted that often it's necessary to use something like a relay to drive the smoke unit.

Personally I don't bother wiring the smoke into a function, I just leave the smoke unit wired to track power via an on/off switch.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Connect your smoke unit to F1 and U+

This will allow you to switch the smoke on and off using the 1 button on your handset.

Depending upon the voltage of your smoke unit, you will have to change CV49:

for a 5v unit CV49 = 5, for a 18v unit set it to 26 and a 24v unit set it to 32.

The Max current draw from F1 is 0.6A.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Guys, I'm assuming Dumpy's using a Bachmann smoke unit as it's in a Bachmann Porter? I guess this needs to be run at 16v max, maybe less?

So a bit of trial and error with the CV 49 setting may be in order. Maybe start at a value of less than 20 to be on the safe side and perhaps increase a little if necessary until you get satisfactory smoke? Certainly don't go above the value of 26 (ie 18v).

ntpntpntp said:
... you'd have to measure the current drawn by the smoke unit and check the specs for the 55021.

According to the 55021 manual, F1 can source 0.6 amps.

According to George Shreyer's measurements of various smoke units, the Bachmann unit should draw less than 0.2 amps. so in theory you're ok, but test carefully!

http://www.gscalecentral.net/www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips3/smoke_tips.html < Link To www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips3/smoke_tips.html

dumpy

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Threshfield, nr Skipton
Best answers
Thanks for this. Got the programming sorted - a bit convoluted after my 00 gauge lenz system. So all need to do now is connect up the smoke unit and adjust CV as appropriate.
Cheers folks