LGB 50th Anniversary - LGB 28443 RhB Ge 4/4 II Electric Locomotive

LGB333

LGB333

15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
The year 2018 marks 50 years of LGB, and to celebrate this event, Marklin/LGB has produced the LGB 28443 after one of the Swiss Railroad’s RhB Ge 4/4 II electric locomotives. And the RhB Railroad is celebrating the anniversary by marking one of its locomotives with the same exact LGB logo schema. See the LGB’s Website about the LGB 28443 50th Anniversary model and also watch the interesting video of the RhB Swiss Railroad's project to install the same exact LGB logo scheme onto one of their locomotives. Website: LGB - 50years

Since I’m a diehard LGB fan, and after watching the RhB railroads video, I recently decided to buy the LGB 28443. I surveyed over 15 train shops for prices in USA and Europe and found the lowest price at https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com in Detmold, Germany, for the export (no-VAT tax) price of 780 Euros (approx $912) plus the flat 27.50 Euros shipping to USA. I use the Transferwise.com money transfer service for my overseas buys which has one of the lowest USD to Euro conversion fees around.....only $8.06 fee using an ACH debit from my bank checking account funds. Grand total all costs for the locomotive: $948. Lowest USA price I found was $979 plus shipping at http://pizzatrains.com. LGB/Marklin produced this locomotive in January 2018 and they probably won't be making any more production runs, so there's only the existing inventory at train shops in USA and Europe, in case anyone wants to buy one.

Last Friday I received the shipment, only six days transit time from Germany to the USA East Coast……very fast compared to the usual three weeks shipment time for my other large scale buys from other German vendors. If you’d like to see a demo of the LGB 28443 operating on my small indoor layout, go to my Website listed below…….pretty neat sounding loco! You can also see there the video I made of an LGB 23130 Olomana Sugarcane Plantation Steam Locomotive operating with the Soundtraxx Tsunami2 DC/DCC power/sound decoder I installed........neat little loco! My Website: LGB Trains | Old Dominion Railways | Locomotives For Sale | Repairs

ADDENDUM 9-27-2018: IF YOU'RE A DIEHARD RAILFAN LIKE MYSELF, YOU NEED TO VISIT THE LGB.DE WEBSITE ABOUT LGB'S 50TH ANNIVERSARY...........VIEW THE SWISS RHB RAILWAY'S VIDEO THERE ABOUT THE PROCESS OF DECORATING ONE OF THEIR ACTUAL GE 4/4 II LOCOMOTIVES WITH THE SAME EXACT LOGO SCHEMA THAT'S ON THE LGB 28443 MODEL........SHOWS THEIR RAILWAY HEADQUARTERS SHOPS, THEIR CROCODILE LOCO BEING RESTORED, THE TURNTABLE AREA AND THEIR LGB LOGO'D #617 GE 4/4 II ON A RUN.............A MUST SEE BY RAILFANS! WEBSITE: LGB - 50years
106631_650ffecff92bb7fb2cc979911a7899de.png

Last edited:
KentKeith

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Agree with you, its a great model. Mine came from the same shop!

106481_f177bc97b3eb463bb9f8fd34c1e195ff.jpg

LGB333

LGB333

15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Thanks for the reply..........those passenger cars enhance it further! Question: What DCC system or you using to operate your layout, the Marklin CS3 for the installed mfx decoder, or a DCC system, which is the alternate use of the mfx decoder (third use is DC/Analog)? I'm using a Massoth Central Station and Navigator and having some sound activation challenges. When I first power up my layout, I have to hit #6 to start the Operating Sounds, and all the other features seem to operate fine. But when I hit #7, Pantographs, that seems to turn off all the other sounds. Any problem with that on your loco? Also, #9 ABV, off related to? Finally, only the rear Pantograph operates on mine, there's no motor in the loco to raise/lower the front one?
Thanks
Tom

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Is this the model with 30 years of Marklin on the other side?

LGB333

LGB333

15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
No, it has the same LGB logo schema on both sides of the LGB 28443 and on the actual RhB engine. Suggest you go to the LGB's Germany Website about the 50th Anniversary and go to the middle of the page to watch the video that Marklin and the RhB railroad made about the process to decorate one of the RhB engines with the same exact LGB logo schema as the LGB 28443 model...…..also shows their Railroad shops, turntable, and several old steam locomotives, plus the famous Crocodile engine that they are restoring. Website: LGB - 50years

KentKeith

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Thanks for the reply..........those passenger cars enhance it further! Question: What DCC system or you using to operate your layout, the Marklin CS3 for the installed mfx decoder, or a DCC system, which is the alternate use of the mfx decoder (third use is DC/Analog)? I'm using a Massoth Central Station and Navigator and having some sound activation challenges. When I first power up my layout, I have to hit #6 to start the Operating Sounds, and all the other features seem to operate fine. But when I hit #7, Pantographs, that seems to turn off all the other sounds. Any problem with that on your loco? Also, #9 ABV, off related to? Finally, only the rear Pantograph operates on mine, there's no motor in the loco to raise/lower the front one?
Thanks
Tom
Hi Tom,

I'm like you, I use the Massoth Central Station and Navigator. When I got mine I first ran it on address #3 to tell it that I wanted it to run dcc and not mfx. After that I changed some more CVs and it now works ok. Don't have details of what CVs I changed here with me at the moment but I'll find them tomorrow and pm the details to you.

One thing I do know is that I don't know what #9 means or does so I don't touch it!

I'll try pressing #7 and see what happens but, as you've probably seen in my picture, I don't run with pantographs up.

Neil Robinson

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Hi Tom,

I'm like you, I use the Massoth Central Station and Navigator. ..................................
One thing I do know is that I don't know what #9 means or does so I don't touch it!
I'm fairly new to DCC and keen to learn to help both myself and my mates who are equally new to it.
One thing I have learned is that Navigator button number 9 usually operates the lights (function 0) and function 9 is activated by pressing button 1 after pressing the large F button to select additional functions. Button 9 may also be used if using the navigator to change an address to one containing a 9.

LGB333

LGB333

15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Neil - You're correct that the #9 function button on the Massoth DiMax Navigator's wireless controller's display is for lights on/off. But the F9 function key I'm referring to, and which is in the table listing of function keys in the LGB 228443's Owner's Manual, relates to the F1 - F8 keys on the Navigator, which also have very small numerials F9 - F16. You press the large "F" button on the Navigator to move back and forth between these two sets of function keys. But I do appreciate your trying to assist!

LGB333

LGB333

15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Hi Tom,

I'm like you, I use the Massoth Central Station and Navigator. When I got mine I first ran it on address #3 to tell it that I wanted it to run dcc and not mfx. After that I changed some more CVs and it now works ok. Don't have details of what CVs I changed here with me at the moment but I'll find them tomorrow and pm the details to you.

I'll try pressing #7 and see what happens but, as you've probably seen in my picture, I don't run with pantographs up.
Keith - Someone on another large scale forum, who has a different model of LGB RhB but the same mfx decoder used, is going to provide me the CVs he changed to ensure reliable operation under DCC mode versus the mfx decoder's primary technology that must use a Marklin CS3 central station. I had research the mfx decoder's background for someone who also recently bought an LGB 28443 but who only runs DC/Analog powered layout, and he was frustrated to realize the loco operates in that mode but not the sound system........Marklin/LGB has it set to "off" at the factory so it will not cause operating issues in mfx use mode........maybe DCC mode too. I also contacted the LGB of America Representative asking her for clarification on this DC/Analog sound issue, and she checked with Marklin Germany who say you must use a Marklin CS3 system to change the DC/Analog sound feature "on". This is really wacky considering that about 80% of the USA large scale hobbyist still only use DC/Analog layouts! But apparently the Marklin mfx decoder's use would be adversely impacted if the factory-issued locos had analog sound programmed "on." I wrote back to the LGB Representative that I recommended that Marklin/LGB revert back to the Massoth circuit boards and decoders used by the pre-Marklin (2007) LGB company...........was their mainstay reliable technology for years. She said she passed on my comments to Marklin Germany.

By the way, that other person referred me to the LGB Germany's Website which has an online CV calculator for DCC on it which looks very helpful: LGB - CV – Calculator for DCC – Programming

Oh, one more point: That other person who also recently bought an LGB 28443 loco, he wants me to install a Massoth eMotion power/sound decoder in it so he can have a sound locomotive for his DC/Analog layout. If you accessed my Website, you see I do repairs and sound system installations on LGB locomotives, as my retiree hobby. A few months ago I installed a Massoth eMotion decoder in a Piko G scale European diesel for him........it's really hard to beat the quality of the Massoth decoders.

Last edited:
Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
I'm sure that you can turn the "sound on analogue DC" function back "ON" for an MFX decoder, using any DCC system that allows you to access and reprogramme CVs - not just with a CS3 station. I am also a long-time Massoth user, and was initially wary of the MFX decoders in new M/LGB locos, but now that I have a couple of them they're not really so scary - if you're never goibng to run them on an MFX/CS2-3 system then it is worth turning that option OFF, because the decoders seem to have a "heirarchy" that makes them look for an MFX signal first, then look for a DCC signal only if no MFX one is present.
As KentKeith mentioned, the accepted practice on here (discovered more by trial-and-error from various members than anything) is to always run a new loco on the default address 3 first with your DCC system, which tells the decoder to expect DCC commands - always do this BEFORE fiddling about with anything like trying to change any CVs, including the loco address. When changing the loco address, do it by just re-writing CV1, and not by using the Navigator's normal address rewriting function - because that apparently tries to change some other things at the same time, which the MFX chips don't like.

Jon.

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Wot Jon say's! :nod::nod::nod:

Definitely NOT what is written in the latest GSS journal. :rolleyes::shake:

mike

mike

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.lazygrangebay.co.uk
Wot Jon say's! :nod::nod::nod:

Definitely NOT what is written in the latest GSS journal. :rolleyes::shake:
What is writen is the author own opion. Weather its painting .building wireing .track laying ect.

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
What is writen is the author own opion. Weather its painting .building wireing .track laying ect.
In this case, what is written is entirely factually back-to-front, if not wrong.

Problem is, once it appears in print, it becomes 'a truth'.

I have no objections to opinion, but incorrect technical factoids have no place in any of the journals or magazines.

mike

mike

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.lazygrangebay.co.uk
In this case, what is written is entirely factually back-to-front, if not wrong.

Problem is, once it appears in print, it becomes 'a truth'.

I have no objections to opinion, but incorrect technical factoids have no place in any of the journals or magazines.
The asnwer..is to write somethig to go in...or volenter as a expert in that feild ect...the members who do volentry run the journal are not experts in every feild.. they carnt be..
Even on here we have our own differnces of opoin and it the item being disscussed is not your feild..you see what im trying to say?

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Not getting at you, Mike..
But would have thought a statement like the one in the Journal would have had 'eyeballs' run over it..

I could not commit to a 'permanent' position, but am happy to look-over anything thought to be in my field..

The only 'sin' the editorial team made, was the article is not attributed to anyone. - Presumably, the same author as the previous article?

I might be 'angry from Amington' enough to write-in.. They can put my letter next to Mrs Trellis from Cardiff.. ;)
(Glad you haven't put me in Nid). :giggle:

rhaetianfan

rhaetianfan

RhB (obviously) but otherwise any 'modern' locos
24 Oct 2009
Hamble
No, it has the same LGB logo schema on both sides of the LGB 28443 and on the actual RhB engine. Suggest you go to the LGB's Germany Website about the 50th Anniversary and go to the middle of the page to watch the video that Marklin and the RhB railroad made about the process to decorate one of the RhB engines with the same exact LGB logo schema as the LGB 28443 model...…..also shows their Railroad shops, turntable, and several old steam locomotives, plus the famous Crocodile engine that they are restoring. Website: LGB - 50years
The actual engine was at Filisur yesterday:

WWW.Schmalspurbahn.CH - Webcamera Filisur

I missed seeing it by about an hour...

M

D

dennishodge

Registered
21 Feb 2018
Bellevue, WA, USA
Thanks for the photos! I have been thinking to add a Ge 4/4 II and was debating a "special" livery vs. red e.g. 28436 (2013-ish). It looks really sharp!

LGB333

LGB333

15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Ok, we did it, today I am now the proud owner of the Anniversary loco :)
Congrats...…...are you running DC or DCC with it? And where did you buy it, if you don't mind me asking, and got a decent price? These are getting scarce...….the MSL trains shop in Germany where I ordered mine has no more of them.