LGB 23131 Grizzly Flats "Chloe" Soundtraxx Tsunami2 Power/Sound Install

LGB333

LGB333

15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
I recently completed the Soundtraxx Tsunami2 power/sound decoder installation in the first of two LGB Chloe locomotives I purchased. Lost count of the hours I dedicated for it, but she sounds beautiful using the Round Top Single-chime "Peanut" whistle, one of 62 whistle options embedded in the Soundtraxx decoder. I have a short video demonstration of her operation and sounds on my Website: LGB Trains | Old Dominion Railways | Locomotives For Sale | Repairs and a longer video on my new YouTube site:

Chloe is a replica of a Hawaiian sugar cane plantation Baldwin locomotive that operated there from 1893 - 1944. Ward Kimball, Walt Disney's Chief Animator, and his friend and fellow steam buff, Gerald Best, purchased two of these Baldwin tank locomotives in 1948 and restored them at Ward's backyard narrow gauge Grizzly Flats Railroad, in San Gabriel CA. Ward named his Chloe after one of his daughters, and Best named his Olomana. After Ward's death, Chloe was donated to the Orange Empire Railraod Museum in 2007 where they intend to restore her for their excursion railroad. Olomana was donated to the Smithsonian which later loaned her to the PA State Railroad Museum, Strasburg, PA. This LGB Chloe, and her sister former plantation locomotive Olomana, both with an installed Soundtraxx Tusnami2 power/sound decoders, are available for sell on my Website.

Attachments

stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wow, is that a steam generator i hear?!!

LGB333

LGB333

15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
When you activate the headlight the decoder also activates what’s called a steam dynamo......not generator. The sound options available on these decoders are amazing,eg, 63 whistle options!

stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
I believe dynamo and generator are the same, ie a steam driven turbine attached to a small generator for electricity. Dynamo , a faraday invention as i recall, being the older dc only, and probably more apropos.

My point, a “foamer” ,rivet counter comment, Chloe looks to have neither, nor an electric headlight.

Ilove these locos, and marvel that you were able to install both decoder and speaker.

As an aside, for those who might wonder about old versus new versions, ( as i have until this most recent ebay purchase of only last week)

I just got the marklin version, and have the older one as well.
I do prefer the newer one only because the pinstriping shows better against the new, slighlty darker wine colored cab and bunker.

I find the running characteristics virtually identical.speed , motor noise, etc., The new one DOES have a weight in its stack which the old one didn’t. This helps with adhesion and avoiding wheelies with a rapid acceleration. The version also has a metal trailing truck wheel, as opposed to the earlier plastic. Neither has electric pick up, however.

Not a lot of room in these lovely teapots.

Last edited:
LGB333

LGB333

15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
I believe dynamo and generator are the same, ie a steam driven turbine attached to a small generator for electricity. Dynamo , a faraday invention as i recall, being the older dc only, and probably more apropos.

My point, a “foamer” ,rivet counter comment, Chloe looks to have neither, nor an electric headlight.

Ilove these locos, and marvel that you were able to install both decoder and speaker.

As an aside, for those who might wonder about old versus new versions, ( as i have until this most recent ebay purchase of only last week)

I just got the marklin version, and have the older one as well.
I do prefer the newer one only because the pinstriping shows better against the new, slighlty darker wine colored cab and bunker.

I find the running characteristics virtually identical.speed , motor noise, etc., The new one DOES have a weight in its stack which the old one didn’t. This helps with adhesion and avoiding wheelies with a rapid acceleration. The version also has a metal trailing truck wheel, as opposed to the earlier plastic. Neither has electric pick up, however.

Not a lot of room in these lovely teapots.
Okay, since you're a rivet counter type person, you're right that a dynamo is a generator on a steam locomotive, but they are referred to as a dynamo...….equals how many rivets? Also, the Soundtraxx documentation on their sound systems refers to it as a dynamo sound. Yes, the original Baldwin Plantation locomotives did not have a dynamo nor electric lamp...…..not needed. But just about all LGB steam locomotives produced had an electric headlight installed, regardless whether it's accurately depicted in the original modeled locomotive or not. And all of the Soundtraxx steam sound units have the dynamo sound that activates when you turn the headlight on. The Soundtraxx decoder installation approach are the same for the two Chloe and the four Olomana locomotives I've completed. The decoder and the CurrentKeeper are installed in the water/fuel bunker, the speaker is glued to the left side of the engineer's cabin. See the staged photo I took for a customer in California that sent me his Olamana for repair and a Soundtraxx decoder install...…….you must completely disassemble the locomotive first except for the motor block.

Attachments

stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wow, thanks