LGB 20471 Ballenburg Rack Steam Locomotive No#1067

Doddy

Doddy

Registered
30 Aug 2011
Abingdon-upon-Thames
I am looking for a quality LGB model of the Ballenburg Steam Rack Locomotive

Should you have an unused model or any information on potential sellers please pm me.

Many thanks in advance.

Doddy

Attachments

Gizzy

Gizzy

Railways, Aviation, Caravanning....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Watching that one..

Do read / go through the full description, if you think you may be interested..

Partially repainted (with 'Met' decals on one side), dome removed, wire out of tank for alternate power, looks of details bits missing..

Lobethalbahn2

Lobethalbahn2

Registered
21 Dec 2009
Canberra
Does it specifically have to be the Ballenburg version as LGB released this loco in DFB livery (Dampfbahn Furka Bergstrecke) in 2017 in a set with two coaches and an open wagon.

https://www.lgb.com/products/details/article/29272/

Although the website suggests they are out of stock at LGB, I'm sure there would still be a few out there with retailers.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Watching that one..

Partially repainted (with 'Met' decals on one side), dome removed, wire out of tank for alternate power, looks of details bits missing..
Wire out of the Tank for some kind of Battery System WTF, I wonder if it will even work from Track Power? Well worth stearing clear if the price goes over £150 ish I would have thought.

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Watching that one..

Definitely looks a real bodge to me, you notice how the description mentions that it has been painted in different colours on each side? But ALL the photos show only the left hand side of the loco......?
Hmmm, I wonder why that might be......

Jon.

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Definitely looks a real bodge to me, you notice how the description mentions that it has been painted in different colours on each side? But ALL the photos show only the left hand side of the loco......?
Hmmm, I wonder why that might be......

Jon.
Jon,

As I said..
If you go through the listing, there are other pictures further down.. t has gone the same colour as the boiler and has Metropolitan decals...
Two for the price of one, by just turning it round!!

More worrying is the missing dome and details parts, IF you were wanting to restore to factory spec.

I was thinking more of a British outline bash, but not sure about the rack additional bits??

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Jon,

As I said..
If you go through the listing, there are other pictures further down.. t has gone the same colour as the boiler and has Metropolitan decals...
Two for the price of one, by just turning it round!!

More worrying is the missing dome and details parts, IF you were wanting to restore to factory spec.

I was thinking more of a British outline bash, but not sure about the rack additional bits??

Ah, yes - sorry, I missed the extra photos right at the very bottom of the posting - I'd just been looking at all the ones in the thumbnails below the main listing pic.
It's a weird one, for sure. That cable out of the side tank is really strange.
As already mentioned, if the price stayed low it would probably be worth getting just for the chassis and rack mechanism, but if it goes very far into three figures then I hope the eventual buyer knows what they'll be getting.....

Jon.

stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wow, what a mess!

It has no rack side gear on the metro transit side.

These are gorgeous when not having suffered "owner improvements".

As much as you may want one, id be patient a find one in great condition.
I fear to rehab this poor thing might drive you to insanity and, worse, financial ruin, then only to buy a proper one in the long run......lol.

I fell in love with the red pin striping and stainless grab irons and bought it on the spot when i saw it in my shop.

Fwiw, the ballenburg cars are as rare as parts for the loco. Took me a couple of years to get coaches. At one time the baggage cars were plentiful. They too have become rare.

Mine runs analogue, and fwiw, smokes poorly. I think it may have to do with voltage going to the smoker being "choked down" perhaps in some version of the dcc ready circuity????

Ps, these are "fussy" in actual rack runnning. At least, they need a more gradual transition to the incline than the electric rack loco due to longer wheel base.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doddy
dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
I found my one ran on Rack quite happily. What it did not like was running at all when I first got it. Due to lack of Pickup on the middle Wheels. So I made up a set of Track Wiping pickups to all wheels and the running was totally transformed. Must take a pic of the revisions at some stage to post on here.

stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Mine runs on rack fine too. Its the uppy downy bendy parts that need to be moderate.

Doddy

Doddy

Registered
30 Aug 2011
Abingdon-upon-Thames
Many thanks for all the replies.

An unused, 'new old stock' Ballenberg rack locomotive was received today from Big Train World in the Netherlands, who have a new and very satisfied customer.

Big Train World
Bovenstreek 25, Noordwolde (Fr.)
8391 HN, Friesland
Netherlands
Call us: +31 (0)561 431 083
Fax: +31 (0)561 431 169
Email: webshop@bigtrainworld.com

S

Shunter22

Registered
9 Nov 2017
Northamptonshire
I not sure if this helps but Glendale junction has some second hand rack locos on its website

Reactions: Doddy
PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
The 'chopped-about' one on EvilBay went for £171.00.. I hope the purchaser realised what they were getting?

Reactions: dunnyrail
stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Many thanks for all the replies.

An unused, 'new old stock' Ballenberg rack locomotive was received today from Big Train World in the Netherlands, who have a new and very satisfied customer.

Big Train World
Bovenstreek 25, Noordwolde (Fr.)
8391 HN, Friesland
Netherlands
Call us: +31 (0)561 431 083
Fax: +31 (0)561 431 169
Email: webshop@bigtrainworld.com
Personally, as a yank not well versed in the nuances of continental narrow gauge, and what might be a plausible combination of free lance equipment, i think the lgb baumer mountain coaches might look nice, and, i believe they are available and not too pricey, as a stop gap.

In the past, these seem to be under appreciated in themarket ( at least on this side of the pond) and, imho, are truly a charming coach. I have both the green 3060 and brown 3061 versions, and love the latter, but the former has more matching stock available, like the 3019 postal van.

If you are going to run on steepish rack grade, smaller lighter two axel coaches are less weight. I find that the steeper the grade, the lighter the load, to avoid buffers riding up.

Congrats, quite a find. Odd how that happens.

a pic pleez?

Last edited:
Doddy

Doddy

Registered
30 Aug 2011
Abingdon-upon-Thames
Odd indeed, a rare example of coincidence.

I already have the four coaches I require, all being three-axle Ballenberg Dampf Bahn B.D.B. examples similar to this video clip . . .

1 x Gepack Postwagen (Baggage)
3 x 3rd Class Passenger Wagen
92110_73ca32c7c6e0f06174f0a3406bb8d969.jpg
92111_8e6f656245e511ecaf1c4a422616adc7.jpg
92112_45a073145208eb72c067bd584ad623df.jpg
92113_51ae0dc5fd4e0c4bdae8eb7fb9e2f419.jpg
92114_5e39ea29161825f731f560ad685021fa.jpg
92115_d364e0a4367da6b08bc8f7f47254436b.jpg
92116_c97ed62159ee520c31c1ce7d707d93b9.jpg

Last edited:
Doddy

Doddy

Registered
30 Aug 2011
Abingdon-upon-Thames
I not sure if this helps but Glendale junction has some second hand rack locos on its website
YES! Those Brunigbahn items look really cool! :cool:

stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Doddy, me too, same numbers of cars. I love the fancy striping on these versions. What luck. How did you manage to get them? I presume you had planned making a ballenberg train and started hoarding?
For me, i buy a loco, and then decide, "it really needs proper stock".

Kind of a chicken or the egg scenario.

Man, that loco is flying running bunker first. Didnt realize it had that type of speed.

Btw is your loco a strong smoker? Mine is rather pathetic at any voltage. I dont know if its the particular insert or the circuitry. I have this issue on a couple of dcc ready lgb locos.

Last edited:
PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Doddy, me too. I love the fancy striping on these versions. What luck. How did you manage to get them? I presume you had planned making a ballenberg train and started hoarding?
For me, i buy a loco, and then decide, "it really needs proper stock".

Kind of a chicken or the egg scenario.

Btw is your loco a strong smoker? Mine is rather pathetic at any voltage. I dont know if its the particular insert or the circuitry. I have this issue on a couple of dcc ready lgb locos.
Steve, what track voltage do you use? - Could be the divider is set incorrectly for your DCC system's track voltage??