LGB 1968-1988 trolley set question

stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
I just picked up this set, a mere 31 years after its release. Near mint, $110 delivered. Runs like it was newly produced, and I haven't even re-lubed it yet.
(I believe these were the predecessor of the xmas trolley set....im thinking they didn't sell terribly well and were re-liveried, per LGB, with a new xmas scheme a couple of years later.

I have always had a love/hate feeling toward the 20th anniversary livery. I like the striping and deep red, have a harder time suspending disbelief with the LGB "ads". I appreciate them, i actually like the artwork, but, its hard to pretend somehow its “realistic”, or anything other than a rolling lgb promotion piece.

The price and condition made it a no brainer. And, its red, and, its a trolley.

My question:

Does anyone know if the sides of the cars have a transfer/sticker, or are the "LGB processions" ink stamp printed?

I'm having a very hard time telling, and don't want to pick at something in an attempt to peel it off, if it is in fact, painted on.

I'm trying to think of a tasteful way to "improve" them, preferably by making the sides a simple matching red, or cream. Or, if printed, covering with an interesting ad.

The upper roof advertising side boards will easily be covered with "Martini" or "jagermeister" stickers I have. Id like to simply remove the procession art, if possible. if not, ????

Last edited:
dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Think we need a Picture or Reference number to tell what you are referring to. Though on a quick test you should be able to tell if it is a stick on add by gently feeling with your finger nail.

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
yes that's the set-I love the deep red and gold.

and

that's a great idea about sealing and silicon.

have since determined its hot ink pad printing.

schienenkönig

schienenkönig

I'm a tram intusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
I do have this tram as well. It is a print on the sides. If you like the chrtistmas tram more, than you can buy the stickers seperate by "Modellland)