LGB 12040 Switch Lantern.

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
I have a few of these to fit. It maybe me.... but is driving me mad- I cant get them to work!!! ANybody got them and if so any fitting tips?

Thanks

LTfan

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Try this:-
http://www.onlytrains.com/model/railroad/WLGB.html

Go down to this item:- Explore The World Of LGB 00559

On page 102 is a reference to 12040 needing a source of power to operate the light inside the lantern.

Hope this helps?

David

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
hornbeam - 8/11/2009 9:24 PM

I have a few of these to fit. It maybe me.... but is driving me mad- I cant get them to work!!! ANybody got them and if so any fitting tips?

Thanks

You mean the little lamp doesn't work? Or if it doesn't get fitted well so the lanterns won't move either...

Well, I have the same problem.. I can't get it fitted in the right way so the lantern turns with the switch.. Have tried this a million times.. :wits:

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
cheers folks, can get the latern to work but not move. Glad someone else has this prob- Thought it was just me.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I've got fed up wih cleaning them & making them work. The point motor wasn't man enough to throw the point, change over the aux switch and turn the light. Took them off with the exception of one important one. I have added a second point motor on the other side to provide more push.

Andrew WH

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Hi
I have found that i need to put a small drop of oil (I use the LGB stuff). Then the things have worked a treat for me. Normally need just a drop of oil at the begining of the running season.

Andrew

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
Best answers
Country flag
Indeed i have done away with them. Lubrication the moving bit doesn't help either. They make your switching operations totally unrealizable. The LGB point motor is very week hence it cant take any extra load. Indoor use only then.

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
<p><font color="#0000cc"><font size="3"><font face="georgia,palatino">Having laid Aristo brass (USA style) track with manual switches/point (10') I noticed that the small lanterns on a couple of the switches were missing. It transpired that my dog, when chasing unwanted gulls, cats etc. was knocking them off as she raced around the garden. I retrieved them from the dirt and decided not to re-install them. :rolleyes: </font></font></font></p><p><font color="#0000cc"><font size="3"><font face="georgia,palatino"> I have since used them as marker lamps on scratch built cabooses and combines.
</font></font></font></p>

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I have a couple of these and I've had no problems with operating them. One is on the crossover below, which gives access to the 'Quarry Branch' or put another way, the continuous circuit on the Logs, Gravel & Bricks.

The lamp housing will only fit on one way, and it has a 'key' so you can't fit it 'back to front'.

I haven't as yet powered the lamp, as I didn't want too many wires around.

I have painted the arrow in green and the circle in red on mine.

I find them useful as I can see from the controller in the 'Signal Cabin' (i.e. the shed!) the route set

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
The other switch lantern can be seen on the point furthest left here, at Weybourne North Junction....

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
I tried using these many years ago with my automatic EPL set up but the failure to fully change the point was unaccepable even with a 24V 5amp supply! so I gave up on them. I still have a box of parts somewhere......................

spurs123

led zep spurs lgb
24 Oct 2009
st albans
Best answers
I have a few on the layout and have had no problem with the point switching only the bulbs working loose but again all mine are inside safe and warm.