LGB 1 M 252 double fairlie

Stepney_21

Registered
20 Apr 2022
Saxony (Germany)
Country flag
IMG_7574.JPG I was a bit inactive for a while. The Rollbockbahn society got a modell of the 1 M 252 double fairlie from Märklin. Here is a picture that I took today on my Layout.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Country flag
Just showed this to SW, who declared the latest offering from Marklin/LGB to be, a 'Hover Train'. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Who am I, to disagree? ;)

Enjoy your trains!
PhilP.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
While you have to marvel at the model and the detail, you tend to ask yourself, what made Maerklin/LGB concentrate on such an ugly loco?

I s'pose it's a bit like the Citroen 2CV - beauty is in the eye of the beholder :emo::emo:

Stepney_21

Registered
20 Apr 2022
Saxony (Germany)
Country flag
While you have to marvel at the model and the detail, you tend to ask yourself, what made Maerklin/LGB concentrate on such an ugly loco?

I s'pose it's a bit like the Citroen 2CV - beauty is in the eye of the beholder :emo::emo:
Well it's Germany's only double fairlie, after all it's one of only three ever built and I am a big fan of that locomotive. I am a member of the Rollbockbahn society and we take care of this unique engine. It was an honour for us that Märklin wanted to make this engine as a model. Although the price is way to high.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
Well it's Germany's only double fairlie, after all it's one of only three ever built and I am a big fan of that locomotive. I am a member of the Rollbockbahn society and we take care of this unique engine. It was an honour for us that Märklin wanted to make this engine as a model. Although the price is way to high.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure its mother loved it :nod::nod:

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country flag
I’m not a big fan of smoke from model trains (live steam excepted) but I think this particular model would look really good if it was weathered and puffing smoke out.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
I’m not a big fan of smoke from model trains (live steam excepted) but I think this particular model would look really good if it was weathered and puffing smoke out.
Mmmm, would you weather a loco that cost a few thousand pounds ? :think::think::think:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
Mmmm, would you weather a loco that cost a few thousand pounds ? :think::think::think:
Would not think twice about it, buy trains for yourself to enjoy not to worry about the resale value..

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Country flag
Sure, I would. I buy trains because I want them for myself, not worried about resale value.
Would not think twice about it, buy trains for yourself to enjoy not to worry about the resale value..
Yeah, I get it, but I'd be worried about what if I didn't get it right :worried:

I tend not not meddle with costlier items for that reason .................... except, having said that, I did convert a brass Goose to R/C

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Country flag
Yes, that is one option, you can leave them as powders and clean off later, or fix in place with matte clear.

There are paints that could be easily removed.

But the point is I buy to enjoy and keep, and a beautifully weathered loco can look very realistic.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Country flag
No, it'll frighten the life out of me trying! I fully understand what Greg is saying, but my dodgy painting on an expensive loco, no.

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
No, it'll frighten the life out of me trying! I fully understand what Greg is saying, but my dodgy painting on an expensive loco, no.
Weathering is a much more subtle process than painting and in fact can lift a dodgily painted loco. Well thinned paint gently drifted on, dry brushing as well gives a great start. Practice on a cheepo LGB Toy Train Wagon if you have one.

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Well I like the loco, granted its different and a little unusual but I'd have one if it was live steam >:)
Well I like the loco, granted its different and a little unusual but I'd have one if it was live steam >:)
Strange thing is Accucraft keep bringing out locs that I would buy but do not cos they are all live steam. Want electric ones for battery rc control.

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
Country flag
Yes, that is one option, you can leave them as powders and clean off later, or fix in place with matte clear.

There are paints that could be easily removed.

But the point is I buy to enjoy and keep, and a beautifully weathered loco can look very realistic.
I think a lot us agree, but mine and I am sure a few other would be wary about weathering, not because of the resale value, but the lack of skill and "making a mess" of such an expensive item.