Includes 1.1m tripod and storage case.

£22.87

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
Yes, I got one of these a few months ago, a bit fiddly to set up, but definitely really good value.
I was able to check the readings I'd taken earlier, using a real self-levelling rotating jobbie my builder lent me "for the weekend" (fnarf,fnarf).
They were very close.
For the height measuring stick, I stuck a tape measure from an Xmas cracker on to a spare strip of wood.

[attachment deleted by admin]

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Brilliant idea - but its October and you have got a tape measure from a cracker :happy: :happy:

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
when we moved into this house 14yrs ago I found the surveyor's pole in the garage
I've been looking for something to use it for, for years

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
tryed a lazer level when i built Lazy Grange Bay, top job, dirt cheap, made life so easy,well worth the £20 it cost :applause:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I bought one about 7 years ago - it spins 360 degrees - only prob is that brilliant sunshine makes the red laser invisible. Its handy to have a partner to hold a sighting stick too. Really useful for setting my line out in the first instance. I then used a standard 4ft level for pegging out.
Mick

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Laser level used on the surveying and construction of the H&MGR, but as I'm in construction I sort of don't feel comfortable unless I used the tools of the trade so to speak.

For the rotating levels if you work late in the day, i.e. in low light levels, you should be able to see the beam more easily directly shining onto the staff. During the day you'll need to use the "target".

I've now one of those spirit levels with the laser in and find it handy too for small jobs, though you need to be careful setting up. I found the laser spot did show up okay during a dull day. :)

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I used a laser level to set out the track a couple of years ago and ended up 2" adrift!!! :wits:
Never had that problem with a theodolite, the sewage works and outfall I levelled' 50yrs ago still "works" ie the gubbins still runs the right way. :applause:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have used lasaer levels of different types. I found that the PLS is one of the best for general construction. Mostly for interior types of layout. When I was building a set of steps at one of the Bryn Mawr College dormatories a couple of yoers ago, I found it extremely useful when setting the ballusters, or spindles as some call them. Simply set the plumb light over the spot on the stair tread where the bottom of the balluster is to go and it projects a mark onto the bottom of the handrail where the top of the balluster gets inserted. Made the job one hell of alot quicker than a level or plumb bob.

That said, I still continue to use a water level when working outdoors. Over long distances the laser light is hard to find in the sunlight, as has been pointed out. The water level is absolutely gof proof. The only time a water level would not give a correct and dead level reading is if something went wrong with planet Earth.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Cheeky Monkey - 1/11/2009 9:55 AM

For better visibility try a red piece of card or plastic the beam shows up as it hits or better still get some red sunglasses then you can see the actual beam not just where it strikes an obstacle

:applause: The red 'sunnies' came with my set. I've been reasonable happy with my laser level. (thank you Father Christmas).

orville

Registered
29 Nov 2009
Rainy Rochdale
Best answers
As Madman said a few posts ago, if working over any sort of distance you can't go far wrong with a water level.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
OK, first surveyor's rule. Whenever you get hold of a new instrument, laser or optical, check it's accuracy.

The two peg check.

Knock two pegs firmly into the ground, 100 ft apart, (50 ft if your garden's small, or the maximum length of your garden), and roughly the same height.

Set the instrument up close to one of the pegs. Take a reading on both pegs and calculate the difference in level. Set the instrument up roughly in the middle of the pegs, and take a reading on boths pegs and calculate the difference in level. The difference between the two answers will tell you the accuracy of the new instrument over the given distance.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
i built my railway by working out what 1-35 looked like on a bubble and never going more than that needless to say it undulates but works!

orville

Registered
29 Nov 2009
Rainy Rochdale
Best answers
CoggesRailway - 30/11/2009 11:17 PM

i built my railway by working out what 1-35 looked like on a bubble and never going more than that needless to say it undulates but works!

Show me a real railway that is truly level ! :banghead:

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
how much does that little lot cost ?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
owlpool - 7/12/2009 11:34 AM

Hilti - won't be cheap :(

Qualidee, mind you :clap:

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
i just got a spade a started digging. no string, no plan, no technology, just a idea in my head. keep it simple me thinks

orville

Registered
29 Nov 2009
Rainy Rochdale
Best answers
Rhinochugger said:
owlpool - 7/12/2009 11:34 AM

Hilti - won't be cheap :(

Qualidee, mind you :clap:

Not much change out of £700 I think you'll find.