large screen display of videos & compatability of camcorder

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
I have done some Youtube clips using a digi camera, & while the definition is not brilliant, does enable sharing

but if you go full screen ( 17") the quality obviously goes worse

it had crossed my mind about the use of a wide screen, maybe say 42", to show garden videoes at railway shows.

what sort of camera, spec, etc would give acceptable viewing, seeing that the viewing distance would be about 6-10 feet

or can only commercial quality films be viewed at that size??????

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Granitechops said:
I have done some Youtube clips using a digi camera, & while the definition is not brilliant, does enable sharing

but if you go full screen ( 17") the quality obviously goes worse

it had crossed my mind about the use of a wide screen, maybe say 42", to show garden videoes at railway shows.

what sort of camera, spec, etc would give acceptable viewing, seeing that the viewing distance would be about 6-10 feet

or can only commercial quality films be viewed at that size??????
I strongly suspect that the problem is not with your digicam, I don't think Youtube supports high def'.
-What is the definition like when you send the image directly to your TV or record it onto DVD?

Jisonga

Garden Railways, Motor Sport, Games Consoles.
24 Oct 2009
South East England.
Best answers
I have an normal standard def camcorder by JVC, got it from argos a couple of years ago, which records MPEGS on the built in harddrive and these play back very nicely on my 40" High Def Samsung TV via the AV input.

I find the image pin sharp and have yet to notice and problems when viewing back on TV or PC.

I do always use the optical zoom when filming as this maintains the picture quality even close up footage.

I have seen that some of the newer digital camcorders, those at the lower end of the market mostly, record at a max of 640x480 which is fine a PC but this can cause problems on larger HD TV's and only have a digital zoom to boot which only adds to the problem.

Although my JVC is by no means an expensive model, its some where in the lower half of the model range, i did make sure it recorded at least Standard Def resolutions to help with play back quality on TV as i knew it would be used for that alot.

Not much but i hope it helps a little.

Jason.

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
Some of the higher spec compact digital cameras can do "HD 720p" - 1280x720 at 30fps.
One of the best seems to be the Panasonic Lumix TZ7.
I'm hoping to get one soon, or the similar FZ28.
Wasn't there a thread about this recently?

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Westcott said:
Some of the higher spec compact digital cameras can do "HD 720p" - 1280x720 at 30fps.
One of the best seems to be the Panasonic Lumix TZ7.
I'm hoping to get one soon, or the similar FZ28.
Wasn't there a thread about this recently?

I commented on a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 still/digital camera a short time ago. This "only" records up to 848x480 pixels but I haven't attempted to view the results on the TV as yet.
I am still struggling with the 140 page manual!

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Zman said:
KeithT said:
I am still struggling with the 140 page manual!
in large print 8D
What slows me down is having to colour in the pictures every second page :confused:

decd2d7012634d909b546926dfee6067.jpg

d2d160b254624656aa0b4a9a82c7bc06.jpg

and I keep breaking my coloured pencils :crying: