Large Scale Survey - What are you using? - SURVEY NOW CLOSED

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
I've already replied over on the 16mm FB page.

M

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Thanks to everyone who participated in this survey which is now closed. We will publish the results shortly.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Reactions: Monty
R

railaddict

Registered
18 May 2020
Belgium
GMX

P

Puychaud

Registered
25 Dec 2019
Liverpool
It is now over three years since we last did a survey of large scale railways. These surveys guide us in the development of new products and marketing. We would appreciate it if you could assist us by indicating your areas of interest by responding using the letters below.

Please select one or more letters which indicate your interests:

A Live Steam – Manual control
B Live Steam – Radio control
C Battery Power – Manual control
D Battery Power – Radio control
E Track Power – Analogue DC with a fixed controller
F Track Power – Analogue DC controlled by radio
G Track Power – DCC not interested in programming
H Track Power – DCC and I do my own programming

And whether or not you use sound:

L – Sound used on some locos M – Sound used on all locos N – Sound not used

And also please indicate your scale/gauge from:

V - 16mm W - G Scale X - Gauge 3 Y - Gauge 1 Z – Other
Hence a G scale user who used radio controlled steam and battery power with some sound would respond B D L W

Thanks for your cooperation. We will publish the results on this forum.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
DLW

Riograndad

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
C E L W Z

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Peter (the OP) possibly need's to edit the title, to reflect 'NOW CLOSED'?

M

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Peter (the OP) possibly need's to edit the title, to reflect 'NOW CLOSED'?
I didn't know you could edit the title. How do you do it?

Thanks
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
I didn't know you could edit the title. How do you do it?
Peter. I think you just edit the first post of this thread you made.

I thought it was odd not having 'Fn3' as a selection. Surely it is not so obscure to go under 'Other' with all of Bachmann's and Accucraft's models being so popular. I think the survey results reflect this being only 4% for Fn3 and 7% for Other total. You also could of had 7/8ths scale to select. Often, if you don't ask questions the right way, you don't get comprehensive answers which is what a survey is all about.
Some people are likely to have Fn3 stuff but are not familiar with it being called that and just pick G scale too.

Here is a link to the results for those that have lost their way. Perhaps it should be added to the first page of this thread. :think:
https://mylocosound.com/linked/largescalesurvey.pdf

Last edited:
M

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Peter. I think you just edit the first post of this thread you made.

I thought it was odd not having 'Fn3' as a selection. Surely it is not so obscure to go under 'Other' with all of Bachmann's and Accucraft's models being so popular. I think the survey results reflect this being only 4% for Fn3 and 7% for Other total. You also could of had 7/8ths scale to select. Often, if you don't ask questions the right way, you don't get comprehensive answers which is what a survey is all about.
Some people are likely to have Fn3 stuff but are not familiar with it being called that and just pick G scale too.

Here is a link to the results for those that have lost their way. Perhaps it should be added to the first page of this thread. :think:
https://mylocosound.com/linked/largescalesurvey.pdf
To be honest, I had never heard of Fn3 before this survey but now see that Wikipedia defines it (and several other scales) as close to G Scale.

The question on scales/gauges was requested by some of our retailers. Next time we will have to find a better way of asking the question based on what they want to know..

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
To be honest, I had never heard of Fn3 before this survey but now see that Wikipedia defines it (and several other scales) as close to G Scale.
The question on scales/gauges was requested by some of our retailers. Next time we will have to find a better way of asking the question based on what they want to know..

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
F scale is 1:20.3. The 'F' being for Fifteen millimetre to the foot like all the Bachmann large scale 'Spectrum' loggers, 4-4-0, 2-6-0 and 2-8-0's which run on 3ft prototype narrow gauge therefore designated Fn3.
Bachmann have 1:20.3 on the box of their 'Fn3' Spectrum range but are often, for marketing purposes just called 'G Scale' which makes it confusing for many casual enthusiasts. It is a relatively new scale, Bachmann making it very popular now or should I say did so.

The 'G Scale' term should really be just for referring to 1:22.5 scale but is a common catch all term for anything running on 45mm track. We will never change that. An LGB legacy term for Gross and Garten. The BIG train.
Another ambiguity is 1:29 and 1:24 scale trains. 'A scale' and 'H scale' have been suggested but rarely used. A for Aristocraft who started 1:29 and H for Half inch scale but these terms have not caught on.

Perhaps for the sake of simplicity and keeping relative to retailers/consumers needs you could group some scales used for 45mm gauge. Some models that are close like 1:22.5 and 1:24 are often mixed on peoples layouts.

Gauge 1 Standard Gauge. 1:32
Standard Gauge. 1:29
G Scale. European Narrow Gauge. 1:22.5
1/2" Scale USA Narrow Gauge. 1:24
F Scale. USA Narrow Gauge. 1:20.3
16mm UK Narrow Gauge. 1:19
7/8" Narrow Gauge. 1:13.7

Just some constructive thoughts, not so much a criticism. Interesting survey result none the less. Thank you. :)

Last edited:
Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
F scale is 1:20.3. The 'F' being for Fifteen millimetre to the inch like all the Bachmann large scale 'Spectrum' loggers, 4-4-0, 2-6-0 and 2-8-0's which run on 3ft prototype narrow gauge therefore designated Fn3.
Bachmann have 1:20.3 on the box of their 'Fn3' Spectrum range but are often, for marketing purposes just called 'G Scale' which makes it confusing for many casual enthusiasts. It is a relatively new scale, Bachmann making it very popular now or should I say did so.

The 'G Scale' term should really be just for referring to 1:22.5 scale but is a common catch all term for anything running on 45mm track. We will never change that. An LGB legacy term for Gross or Garten. The BIG train.
Another ambiguity is 1:29 and 1:24 scale trains. 'A scale' and 'H scale' have been suggested but rarely used. A for Aristocraft who started 1:29 and H for Half inch scale but these terms have not caught on.

Perhaps for the sake of simplicity and keeping relative to retailers/consumers needs you could group some scales used for 45mm gauge model track. Some scales that are close are often mixed on peoples layouts.

Standard Gauge. 1:32, 1:29 (these could be separate)
G Scale. European and USA Narrow Gauge. 1:22.5, 1:24
F Scale. USA Narrow Gauge. 1:20.3
16mm UK Narrow Gauge. 1:19
7/8ths Narrow Gauge. 1:13.7

Jut some constructive thoughts, not so much a criticism. Interesting survey result none the less. Thank you. :)
Yep, the USA uses a different nomenclature for narrow gauge.

So USA F scale is 15mm:1ft (and there is a US market for F scale standard gauge)
n - signifiies narrow gauge
3 - signifies the gauge modelled i.e. 3ft.

So, if you modelled the Maine 2-footers in F scale it would be Fn2

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010

So USA F scale is 15mm:1ft (and there is a US market for F scale standard gauge)

Yep and 32mm gauge track would be fairly close for Fn2 as it is for 16mm scale (1:19).
16mm scale on 45mm gauge track is a convenient anomaly.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK

So Irish 3ft Narrow Gauge on 45mm track at 15mm to the foot would be Fn3. Simples and what a perfect scale!

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
In the same naming convention are the scale/gauges of On3 and On30. O scale 3ft narrow gauge and O scale 30 inch narrow gauge. Oddly, Bachmann used On30 for their range of USA 3ft narrow gauge models because it could then run on 16.5mm gauge track (HO track).

The objective of the survey was for assisting retailers needs so perhaps it serves it's purpose but when enthusiasts are selecting G scale for anything from 1:29 models to 1:20.3 models, the final results may become unreliable.
This is why the results reflect a larger proportion of users of G scale in the USA than Europe from which G scale 1:22.5 on 45mm gauge track originated.
This is also why the results have zero percent of users of Fn3 in Australasia but there are plenty because of Bachmann's offerings.
What an Fn3 user requires in the market place is very different to what an 1:29 user requires which is my main point here. Both scales are very popular.
There was not an extensive amount of participants in the survey which doesn't help matters. Most of them were from here, G Scale Central. :)

Last edited:
stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
A B E G L W
life is a banquet....