Impromptu Playmobil/Garden railway example layout at Nailsea MRC Show.

Rich Skuse

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Went to Nailsea and District model railway society show on the Saturday 6th of April as a helper for a friend who was exhibiting their freelance built oo models. We noticed there was an empty display space, and talking to the organisers learned it was a no-show due to unfortunate circumstances so offered to set up a simple playmobil garden railway based exhibit on the Sunday. Went down a treat with the kids. Even though it was a bit improvised and what have you it went down well, everyone we spoke to saw the fun in it and I received some nice comments on the 2-4-0 bash loco. It was also a good run-time test on the Li-Po batteries, which revealed the 2200MHA one in the 2-4-0 will run for more or less 6 hours straight on one charge. So that's fantastic. A good weekend was had, sorry for posting it all so late!
IMG_2959.jpg
IMG_2958.jpg
IMG_2957.jpg
IMG_2956.jpg
57633421154__7DBADE16-F11A-4451-8974-BB68DAB0D19A.JPG
IMG_2954.jpg
IMG_2953.jpg
View attachment

Also featured in this video here at 13:30 (not my video I will add), but I'll let you skip through because I don't want the rest of the video 'overlooked' as the quality of the layouts on display was fantastic. The G1 setup was lovely!

Reactions: lgbmad
P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
A great show of initiative there and a neat layout at short notice with a good "wriggle factor" which the general punters like.

Rich Skuse

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
A great show of initiative there and a neat layout at short notice with a good "wriggle factor" which the general punters like.
Yea, we wanted it to weave about a bit to garner interest. We could also reverse the loco direction and then stop and run round, or get another loco on track. At the busy times I pinched my friend's Sunday assistant and we ran 2 trains at once, stopping at the 'station' to allow the other train to clear the loop at the end. Worked really well and he also enjoyed helping run the trains. But then who wouldn't :)

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
I can read the "why playmobil?" paper, but what did the other papers say?

Rich Skuse

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
I can read the "why playmobil?" paper, but what did the other papers say?
I’ll dig them out provided they made it home, they were all quite brief so people didn’t get put off reading essays but there was one detailing the modifications to the locos, why some rolling stock was painted and some wasn’t and one for explaining SHLR, the fictional staple hill light railway. Once I’m a bit further down the line (ha!) i’d Like to document everything on a blog or site, we are still working on back story for some bits, some of it is already there so to speak. :)

• Wow
Reactions: BEV551
Gavin Sowry

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
This sort of thing, I reckon, encourages more people into the hobby, because it is simple, I can do that, and cheap(ish). Think about it.
If I were a newby, and this display was 'all bells and whistles', and you 'must have DCC'cause everyone uses it', it'll cost so many thousand dollars, and so and so is rubbish etc. etc.,
then I'd be walking away.

Proof

DSC_0746 - Copy.JPG

An experienced, well respected modeller in the smaller scales, stopped off here for a chat, and a chat, then another chat..... next month he's around to my place, with train in hand.
It works.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike and playmofire
Rich Skuse

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
This sort of thing, I reckon, encourages more people into the hobby, because it is simple, I can do that, and cheap(ish). Think about it.
If I were a newby, and this display was 'all bells and whistles', and you 'must have DCC'cause everone uses it', it'll cost so many thousand dollars, and so and so is rubbish etc. etc.,
then I'd be walking away.

Proof

View attachment 251318

An experienced, well respected modeller in the smaller scales, stopped off here for a chat, and a chat, then another chat..... next month he's around to my place, with train in hand.
It works.
Totally agree with you. I’ve tried to do everything as cheaply as using playmobil on LGB track will allow, including my control system using cheap RC car and plane parts and I was more than happy to explain how you can do this as cheaply or as extravagantly as budget allows. :) it’s a great thing to do if you’ve got younger kids interested in the hobby too as it’s something that easily grows with them. You can start with hardy playmobil or toy train stuff and built it into whatever you want from there. :)

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
For casual punters lots of movement is the thing, even if it just goes round a small circuit. Highly detailed shunting layouts don't seem to grab the same sort of attention, no matter how well detailed and attractive they are.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Went to Nailsea and District model railway society show on the Saturday 6th of April as a helper for a friend who was exhibiting their freelance built oo models. We noticed there was an empty display space, and talking to the organisers learned it was a no-show due to unfortunate circumstances so offered to set up a simple playmobil garden railway based exhibit on the Sunday. Went down a treat with the kids. Even though it was a bit improvised and what have you it went down well, everyone we spoke to saw the fun in it and I received some nice comments on the 2-4-0 bash loco. It was also a good run-time test on the Li-Po batteries, which revealed the 2200MHA one in the 2-4-0 will run for more or less 6 hours straight on one charge. So that's fantastic. A good weekend was had, sorry for posting it all so late!
View attachment 251275 View attachment 251276 View attachment 251277 View attachment 251278 View attachment 251279 View attachment 251280 View attachment 251281 View attachment 251282

Also featured in this video here at 13:30 (not my video I will add), but I'll let you skip through because I don't want the rest of the video 'overlooked' as the quality of the layouts on display was fantastic. The G1 setup was lovely!

Well done you, looks like just what the Doctor ordered.

JimmyB

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Living just down the road from Nailsea (W-s-M) would have visited the show if I knew it was on, not well advertised.

dutchelm

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Living just down the road from Nailsea (W-s-M) would have visited the show if I knew it was on, not well advertised.
Notified to local free papers, model railway mags, UK Modelshops site. What else is there? If we put up posters the council take them down!

JimmyB

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Notified to local free papers, model railway mags, UK Modelshops site. What else is there? If we put up posters the council take them down!
Not in the Weston Mercury or Midweek, though I will make an effort to look out for next year.

dutchelm

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
A date for your diary.
Nailsea show is booked for 2020 on 28th & 29th March at Nailsea School.

Reactions: JimmyB
stockers

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Not in the Weston Mercury or Midweek, though I will make an effort to look out for next year.
Not on here either!