I see possibilities :D

DGE-Railroad

Registered
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Specifications
Maximum Power Input Voltage: 24 Volts
Maximum Motor Stall Current: 8 Amps
Maximum Output Current on a Single Output: 1.2 Amps.
Maximum Output Current on all Outputs Combined: 1.2 Amps.

So, assuming the outputs switch to ground, you are good to go.. (more reading on my part to check) - Unless Greg knows the RailPro kit?

PhilP
Thanks Phil. Those look like the specs for the LM-3S G unit thoug. (Ring clearly aren't big on distincitve naming :D )

I'd wondered where you'd found that as I'd searched everywhere for the non-G version and turned up nothing - It seems they've published the G variant and not its smaller sibling. I'll get some clarity from them before committing :)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Told you I was not familiar with the RailPro..
Let us know what they say..

PhilP

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Switched to ground = open collector transistor on the "output". This is the normal type of "output". One reason is you can switch supply voltage or any other voltage sharing a common ground with the decoder. Many DCC decoders supply plus rectified track voltage and 5 volts.

The breakdown voltage on the transistor on the railpro is almost certainly over 5 volts, and over 24 volts (voltage tolerance is cheap)

All that counts is current. (current is what results in heat, and size and cost of "output" transistors)

Surprising amount of current on the "outputs", so if it is true, no problem.

Just switch the "ground" lead of your fogger, and make sure your 5v supply shares a common ground with your decoder.

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

DGE-Railroad

Registered
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Switched to ground = open collector transistor on the "output". This is the normal type of "output". One reason is you can switch supply voltage or any other voltage sharing a common ground with the decoder. Many DCC decoders supply plus rectified track voltage and 5 volts.

The breakdown voltage on the transistor on the railpro is almost certainly over 5 volts, and over 24 volts (voltage tolerance is cheap)

All that counts is current. (current is what results in heat, and size and cost of "output" transistors)

Surprising amount of current on the "outputs", so if it is true, no problem.

Just switch the "ground" lead of your fogger, and make sure your 5v supply shares a common ground with your decoder.

Greg
Thanks very much Greg :)

DGE-Railroad

Registered
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
That's really useful. It's definitely the same board mine uses.

I now shorted the switch as those notes indicated. My fogger now goes on with power and off when removed.
Here was last nights test. I'm still not happy with it yet but it's okay. upward reservoir test

A word of caution - the plate really doesn't like being handled much. The connections to it are pretty delicate. I've had to reattach both of mine already! :)