i need lots of track for my deadrail system

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
Country flag
As Phil said availability can be a major factor, in my situation 6 pairs of LGB bogies will cost $55/pair plus about the same in freight.

A 3D printer for under $300 that I can print the bogies and have the ability to print other pieces is a "no brainer".

I would probably never print track to run on; but for cosmetic purposes it may enter the frame for consideration.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Country flag
I would think the best place for NQ track in the USA is Hammond toys. They are the main importers.

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 Trams, Early Trams, NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Country flag
Why use filament, a friend has recently got himself a resin printer and other than the fact it needs supports which become redundant after printing, the finish is great and quality superb.

David

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Country flag
Also, you might expand your search to the Bachmann plastic track, i have a bunch, gotten free, used for display cabinet track. Unfortunately I don't think the 2 types connect easily.

Greg
The Bachmann connects to code 332 LGB okay, but I don't think it will connect to NQD....

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Country flag
Yep, agree, has weird "joiners" cast into the ends too. Have had all 3 here, threw away all but the Bachmann, that is how I am so experienced on the availability in the USA.

I have display shelves with 2 tracks of plastic where I store my more "photogenic" locos, subject to SWMBO.

Greg

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Country flag
One thing I noticed missing in this thread is any mention of how the required plastic track is to be applied. One thing that intrigued me was the possible issue of any plastic used and its resistance to UV if placed in an outdoor environment. I Googled "Plastic Track UV resistant" and look what popped up at the very top of this search - Plastic Tracks Some interesting comments here.This forum, as ever, a valuable resource. Max

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Country flag
Why use filament, a friend has recently got himself a resin printer and other than the fact it needs supports which become redundant after printing, the finish is great and quality superb.

David
Apart from the cost, resin would be awful for any sort of track. UV exposure will cause it to shrink and become brittle over time and even the "ABS like" resin has very low wear resistance.

As an enthusiastic 3d printer and laser cutter, I would be buying 2nd hand plastic ABS track and not trying to print it as well!!

GAP

Country flag
Would there be any benefit in looking at metal track and forgetting about plastic.
Instead of racing out and buying a large amount plastic track with a limited lifespan outdoors, maybe moving slower and buying cheap metal flex track that will have a longer lifespan and possible some resale value if the urge to have a garden railways fades.
Metal track should work with a "dead rail" system which I interpret to be battery on board controlled by some remote control.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Country flag
Would there be any benefit in looking at metal track and forgetting about plastic.
Instead of racing out and buying a large amount plastic track with a limited lifespan outdoors, maybe moving slower and buying cheap metal flex track that will have a longer lifespan and possible some resale value if the urge to have a garden railways fades.
Metal track should work with a "dead rail" system which I interpret to be battery on board controlled by some remote control.
Good point!

You can get second hand LGB track at £3 a foot in the UK.

You might get R1 curves even cheaper, which you could straighten....

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Country flag

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Country flag
If you want new flexi track that is designed to last a lifetime outdoors, try the Cliff Barker stainless steel rail on baymix ABS sleepers.

Despite the lower profile track - code 200 rather than 332, pretty much anything will run on it without bumping along the sleepers.

It will bend to a really tight radius and being gauge widened, will not bind so easily on the bends.

Less than £11 per yard, so relatively cheap as well.

NorthwestGarrattGuy

Registered
1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Country flag
If you want new flexi track that is designed to last a lifetime outdoors, try the Cliff Barker stainless steel rail on baymix ABS sleepers.

Despite the lower profile track - code 200 rather than 332, pretty much anything will run on it without bumping along the sleepers.

It will bend to a really tight radius and being gauge widened, will not bind so easily on the bends.

Less than £11 per yard, so relatively cheap as well.
what is that converted to USD? is it less then seven bucks?

GAP

Country flag
The
what is that converted to USD? is it less then seven bucks?
These people in the US have aluminiun rail for $3.25/yard plus their ties come in 9 inch lengths therefor 4/yard @ 1.95 = $7.80/yard. They also have 2 yard lengths for $6.25 so slightly cheaper.
Grand total of $11.05/yard which is more that your $7, the UK rail converts to approx $14.97 plus freight would need to be added to both orders.
Headquarters are in Claysville, Pennsylvania.

This is an idea of the expense that you would be up for if you go down the metal track route.

My philosophy since I started has been to go slow and buy something that will last and give good service rather than rush in and be disappointed with the result so personally I would choose the metal route start small and within a budget and add on as funds become available.
Adding on is much more fun as well. :):);)

NorthwestGarrattGuy

Registered
1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Country flag
The

These people in the US have aluminiun rail for $3.25/yard plus their ties come in 9 inch lengths therefor 4/yard @ 1.95 = $7.80/yard. They also have 2 yard lengths for $6.25 so slightly cheaper.
Grand total of $11.05/yard which is more that your $7, the UK rail converts to approx $14.97 plus freight would need to be added to both orders.
Headquarters are in Claysville, Pennsylvania.

This is an idea of the expense that you would be up for if you go down the metal track route.

My philosophy since I started has been to go slow and buy something that will last and give good service rather than rush in and be disappointed with the result so personally I would choose the metal route start small and within a budget and add on as funds become available.
Adding on is much more fun as well. :):);)
ok i just want to build a medium sized layout for less than 600 bucks

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
Country flag
what wife im 15
It starts to make sense now, but maybe, in your introduction, a bit more info about you could have helped. We are there now, so with a little more understanding we may be able to provide guidance. :)