I did it all wrong! Can someone help me salvage this mess?

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
I was being slightly tongue in cheek - can't help myself at times.

I am referred to by various contractions of my user name - there's history with the real name, as I was named Michael Ian, then my parents decided that they wanted to call me Ian. Explaining all that at school to every teacher, every year at the beginning of term left me scarred for life :D:D:D:D:D so I personally don't give a Castlemaine XXXX about what people call me :mask::mask::mask::mask::mask:

.......... and after 48 years in the construction industry, they've called me quite a few names ........... :smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke:
Don't worry, Rhino/Ian, I realised your comment was tongue-in-cheek - I just wanted to explain because I didn't want the original poster to have mistakenly thought I was offended by his choice of username!

I know just what you mean about name confusion, my late Dad was only ever known by his middle name - I don't think I ever heard ANYONE use his first name..... ;)

Jon.

Gizzy

Gizzy

Railways, Aviation, Caravanning....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Don't worry, Rhino/Ian, I realised your comment was tongue-in-cheek - I just wanted to explain because I didn't want the original poster to have mistakenly thought I was offended by his choice of username!

I know just what you mean about name confusion, my late Dad was only ever known by his middle name - I don't think I ever heard ANYONE use his first name..... ;)

Jon.
Even my late father used to call me by my nickname/username....

MTheStrong

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich

Jon.
Hi Jon,

Not wishing to upstage you, I am known by my third name. My Grandfather, father and myself all have the same initials, GIM. So my Grandfather was known by his first name, my father by the second and myself by the third. I sympathise with Rhino/Ian because I have faced the same problem.

Regards

George, Ian or Martin - take your pick!

Last edited:
P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Hi Jon,

Not wishing to upstage you, I am known by my third name. My Grandfather, father and myself all have the same initials, GIM. So my Grandfather was known by his first name, my father by the second and myself by the third. I sympathise with Rhino/Ian because I have faced the same problem.

Regards

George, Ian or Martin - take you pick!
I can sympathise with you. I, too, go by my third name but on the NHS, for example, people always use my first name. I ended up with with the G of H.J.G. because my grandfather, Herbert, was still alive, my father, John, was still alive but my cousin, Gordon, was dead having been killed early in the war when his ship was torpedoed.

When I retired, I began to rebel and start using my used name, Gordon, even where a form asks for first name or all names. There should be a box on documentation for "used name". There is on my GP's system, but this morning when he called me in he forgot and so I was "Herbert Whitehead". Leaving, it was, "Good to see you Herbert, oops, sorry, Gordon".

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Well, at least our friend will know that he's joined the right nut house :emo::emo::emo::emo:

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
..............But if your DCC Central Station is powered by a DC Transformer then you're all set to use a shuttle unit. I'm not aware of any that can be used on a Digital layout..........
I believe that Tam Valley Depot make a shuttle unit suitable for DCC layouts.....

Jon.

korm kormsen

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Well, at least our friend will know that he's joined the right nut house :emo::emo::emo::emo:
i would like to add, that he is welcome to let us call him "idiot" (train would be too inspecific)

Trainidiot,
don't bother. that gentleman, who first reclamed your missing real-name, himself sailed in the various forums under a self given nickname for about two decades.
only recently he became a real-name addict.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Hi Jon,

Regards

George, Ian or Martin - take you pick!
And there was me thinking your middle name was "the".

F

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
If you were referring to me...
I had "Fr.Fred" presented to me, as a nick-name by my friends, but I ALWAYS made it clear that my name is FRED MILLS.
...so please DO NOT spread false information.
I had the picture of a robed monk presented to me by a long deceased LSC member, but under the picture, is always my full name.
I seldom sign out as Fr.Fred, except in jest.
I promote the use of REAL NAMES, in hope of re-establishing some pride, in one's self...sadly lacking in today's world due to paranoid fear of security problems, or just plain childish stupidity.
We have modern technology to help improve communication, then erode it by lack of self respect, and lack of respect for those we want to communicate with.
Now you can see where I come by the name "Fr.Fred"....
...end of the lesson/sermon, for this morning, evening...!!:tmi:
Fred Mills

Last edited:
trammayo

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
If you were referring to me...
I had "Fr.Fred" presented to me, as a nick-name by my friends, but I ALWAYS made it clear that my name is FRED MILLS.
...so please DO NOT spread false information.
I had the picture of a robed monk presented to me by a long deceased LSC member, but under the picture, is always my full name.
I seldom sign out as Fr.Fred, except in jest.
I promote the use of REAL NAMES, in hope of re-establishing some pride, in one's self...sadly lacking in today's world due to paranoid fear of security problems, or just plain childish stupidity.
We have modern technology to help improve communication, then erode it by lack of self respect, and lack of respect for those we want to communicate with.
Now you can see where I come by the name "Fr.Fred"....
...end of the lesson/sermon, for this morning, evening...!!:tmi:
Fred Mills
You didn't get it because you were dispensing Homolies then?

I think that people have a right to choose a nickname or alter ego - after all, there are loads of people with same names around the world - as it gives an identity to that person. You have to create a unique ID for accessing Web sites! I suppose you could be Tom Mix No.1 - et sequa - if that was your real name!

Mine is based on fact - 1. I like Trams (Streetcars), and 2. because I live in Co. Mayo. Simples.

Gavin Sowry

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
:D:D:D:D:D so I personally don't give a Castlemaine XXXX ....:smoke:
I don't give anyone a Castlemaine XXXX, nice drop, but I found it gave me a headache. Actually hard to get here now.

korm kormsen

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
since our new member, the original poster of this thread, did not participate in the last 26 posts, we can assume, that we have driven him away.

i suggest, that we now drift to lamenting, why there are not enough new members nterested in G-scaling...

maxi-model

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
I have in indoor part of my line. It's sandwiched between the sofa and a back wall in the living room. Yes, that is a cat door at the end that gives it access to the garden part of the layout. It can be operated independently, a couple of croc clips from the Train Engineer controller and I have simple up and down test track. Or you can run live steam like these or battery. A reverse module could be fitted if desired. Plan ahead - You can have your indoor line and then be ready for the leap back outdoors :think:

111519_b0a3a81279e1dad85416ffe8e984f016.jpg

111520_07c233b3a04d7d1c4e662777b4d0a064.jpg

British out line buildings with US logging stock, incongruous I know but you get the idea

111521_719f7eb2481893f28f9b507d0fc7858a.jpg

GAP

GAP

G Scale trains, Lawn Bowls.
14 Jun 2011
Bomaderry, New South Wales, Australia
I don't give anyone a Castlemaine XXXX, nice drop, but I found it gave me a headache. Actually hard to get here now.
Try looking for "XXXX Gold" its mid strength and not really headache inducing. At one time had 50% of package beer sales in its native Queensland.

Last edited:
F

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Korm;
If they can't stand the pressure, I guess we loose them.
I'm always getting abused by you guys, but you seldom if ever cut the skin.!!
Too many thinned skinned young, and old farts, soon create an atmosphere that few would want to be part of... Life is like that. That's why there are so many rushing around looking for friends, finding none, or avoiding friendships all together.
Life always has its abrasions, even from best friends, but we all learn to get along, with forgiveness and good humour...along with a good layer of THICK SKIN. We all are winners, and there are no losers, unless we take offence to often questionable suggestions from everyone...
Smile...I'm not your enemy...and you aren't mine !!
Fred Mills

GAP

GAP

G Scale trains, Lawn Bowls.
14 Jun 2011
Bomaderry, New South Wales, Australia
To the Original Poster by whatever name you are now using (hopefully you are still lurking around).

For an indoor layout with reverser I would consider a tram theme or a double ended loco on a shunting shelf type layout for some operating action.

There are also "shunting puzzle layouts" that could be researched and from what I have seen are a lot of fun.

Have a look at this site under "planks" which are described as "A very popular layout type for those space-starved members" just scale them up to suit your equipment.

Platform1mrc.com