How to Disguise old fence on garden railway

• Thread starter granddad gnome
  • Start date
granddad gnome

granddad gnome

Registered
24 Oct 2009
TUXFORD - NOTTINGHAMSHIRE - ENGLAND.
would like to create back drop to hide old fence, any ideas and suggestions please IMG_1443.JPG

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
This is a Grassy Type of product that I got from BnQ in the Gardening Section. Another option may be Fake Grass that you can also get from BnQ and other retailers. Also look at GE_Riks Blog where he used Military Vehicle Camouflage netting.
A0F8C9BE-4632-4BC3-823E-F459F2F72EEA.jpeg

Gizzy

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Painting the fencing and posts green may help?

You've used a half relief building to hide the concrete gravel boards which is good! You could make some modern warehouse type buildings from that corrugated plastic sheet that is used for house 'For Sale' signs? Cheeseminer did this on his railway.

Your railway is looking great by the way and much different to when I last saw it with BigJack a few years ago. Are you still in the same house/village in Notts....

mike

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Rick from blackpool, used a great idea, he got a shop banner printed, the type you see out side with holes on the edges, to fix it in place, but with countryside printed on it...

GAP

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
I am going to screw some fibre cement board (Hardiebacker?) to the fence behind my line and paint something similar to this using house paint.

korm kormsen

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Gavin Sowry

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
DSCF0175.JPG

We have a product sold in our hardware stores called Brusticks. Can be used as a decorative wind break (in areas that don't get gales like us. I staple this stuff to the fence to give it a more rustic look).
Not a fan of paint.... it fades, and honestly, looks amateurish (unless your first name is Vincent, or Pueblo).

Gavin Sowry

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
The fencing or the children?

They didn't hear that. That photo is quite old.... the younger one is off next week culling deer and other pests. :devil:

Gizzy

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
View attachment 274557

We have a product sold in our hardware stores called Brusticks. Can be used as a decorative wind break (in areas that don't get gales like us. I staple this stuff to the fence to give it a more rustic look).
You can get a similar product here in the UK too.

I used it to hide the neighbour's ugly wiggly tin fence at my last house.

It seems to last a long while too....

Northsider

Northsider

Registered
3 May 2012
The Amazon distribution centre on the M1 is painted in progressively paler blue stripes: it helps that blend in, but I'm not sure how it would look in the garden/at our scale...
1602068623130.png

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
The Amazon distribution centre on the M1 is painted in progressively paler blue stripes: it helps that blend in, but I'm not sure how it would look in the garden/at our scale...
View attachment 274578
Slightly off-piste, but they've done a lot of that around Milton Keynes and that area - it certainly works in 1:1 scale, particularly from a distance.

Some of the gardening programmes have used colour on fences for different effects - sometimes a bold contrast can be more effective than trying to conceal it :think::think:

kedwards

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways
I’m sorry but I can’t offer any constructive advice on disguising your fence. However I’m so pleased to see this discussion topic on the forum as my pet hate is seeing garden fences boldly displayed in photos and videos. I have planned the course my new railway to keep it well away from fences which I’ve painted dark brown so that they blend into the background. I know that we don’t all have the luxury of doing this and often a railway does have to be close up to a fence but a huge thumbs up to you for tackling the issue head on and attempting to hide your fence.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
You could paint it a uniform blue, and Chroma-Key in a different background in Post Production? :think::nerd:

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
View attachment 274578
The large dairy on the A41 outside Aylesbury has a similar scheme but in greeny browns, very effective, and all but makes it invisible from Wendover Woods