Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
yes, you have, i think a lots to do with getting the veiwing angle correct,.ie, at eye high if you were stood there in/as a model..:clap:

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
i find a lot of it has to do with the framing of a picture i have taken the lib of quickly croping your photo see if you think its any better
Tony

2010_0327amtr__.jpg
"

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Still like the second one best if the big brush wasnt there the perfectomungo!!

flyingsignalman

Narrow Gauge railways, Garden railways, Signalling
24 Oct 2009
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
The second photo is best; the first is only let down by the british style semaphores.

5H17

Railways and Diesel preservation, American cars
25 Mar 2010
Sutton Coldfield
www.fourfooteightandahalf.com
Best answers
Loving the third photo. Shallow depth of field, to good effect.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
I always think the best way is to make sure that nothing in the background is visible or looks out of scale also that the clutter and trash of real life always makes a picture swwm real to me, the ultra clean and shiny landscapes we all seem to take are not very realistic!!
cfba8e81c8bf460f8710a5cb2aa5ea95.jpg
3e39e8dd5e03499e998c9f830e00091d.jpg

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
55.5 said:
In my 70+ years I have certainly wasted more money on cameras than I have on trains.

:love: Not by going by your avatar.... I've got one of those LGB O&K's, certainly not a waste of money. I got a straight funnel for mine....the 'invoice' was was in seven languages, English being last, but as I went down the list, there was this recurring theme, I could understand most of the languages, especially as the word was FREE .:clap:

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
My two pet hates in photographs of model railways are shiny people and animals and buildings that sit on the ground instead of in it. It is not easy to change the last one with structures that are placed on the layout and then taken off again for storage or transportation. Picture one is my favourite.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
So do I, it's a great piccy

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I think both of Minimans' pics are excellent, but I especially like the second shot from under the station canopy - wonderfully atmospheric and gives the feel of a grubby, run down small station. Even the grass and other foliage in both pics doesn't look greatly out of scale, which is so often the giveaway with garden photos.
Your pics are great too, Roly, I love the second one; as others have said, my best suggestion would be to keep as much "real world" full size stuff out of the background of the shot as possible, and watch for extraneous things like that broom! If you're REALLY striving for realism (to the extent of convincing the viewer, at least at first glance, that they are looking at a 1:1 scale train) then it might be best to avoid taking the shot on stretches of line where things like LGB point motors are visible; on the other hand if you just want the pics to be a "realistic-looking garden model railway" that really doesn't matter.

My yardstick (do the Europeans have a metrestick...?) for "realism" in photos would be whether the casual viewer is fooled, even for a few seconds, into thinking that they are looking at the "real thing". To me it doesn't matter if a few more moments of careful study will prove that they aren't, it's that first impression that matters. Model Railroader (the US indoor-scales mag) has a wonderful section in the back of each issue of "trackside photos" - and even though I KNOW they are all models, quite often I have to look at some of them for several minutes before I can spot anything that convinces me 100% that I'm not viewing a 1:1 scene!

Jon.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
8| To get a realistic shot, use a real background.

Tree001.jpg

This is actually a Gn15 layout. Some of those dark green trees are real, some, models. No photoshop used here (don't know how to do that stuff).

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
From a purely personal point of view, I find that the two big givaways in a good shot are, as mentioned already, wheels (and flanges), and more so, over-scale rail. Minimans (no critisism intended and only for illustration), gets away with that more in the second pic than the first. The atmoshere in the second shot is top-notch.