How do you achieve this kind of effect?

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Apologies to Railwayman198- I have been enjoying his site on the Dunn's Valley Railway- absolutely super I must say. I have borrowed a photo. I have this little loco and it is so clean it's very toy like and plastic-y.

How was this done- either by Railway198 or any other of you weathering pros!?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
It looks like it has been airbrushed with a thin mix of paint and thinners....

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
There are a few on here that are into the "black art" of weathering, I'm sure they will pass on tips in due course, I can't bring myself to do it to mine tho

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Supagav is the man you what :callme: his weathering is first class i know he had a step by step guide to weathering on GSM :clap: i think you might find a thread on here too :thinking:Take a look under ATSF 50ft boxcar in the weathering forum

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
From what i remember he used some graphite/oil/paste (or similar) that he painted on, then polished off, for that effect.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
All beautiful locos. off to find that thread on the boxcar. Ian S - it looks real, so full of character. brilliant.

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
<p><font size="3">Hi Ian, </font></p><p><font size="3">That is the one in this section on 'ATSF Boxcar'</font></p><p><font size="3" /></p><p><font size="3">Yours Peter R</font></p>

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, only just seen this thread.

I've experimented with various methods of weathering, some more successful than others. This particular loco was weathered with graphite paste. It's sold in tubes and used for cast iron fireplaces. Just brush it on then wipe most of it off with a soft cloth. It's very good for getting a nice steel look to the valve gear. The downside is that some residue can come off on your fingers. To reduce this I give the body a dusting with weathering powders. This helps set the graphite paste and gives some nice variations in shade. I used the same method on one of the Forneys on my website.

If you decide that it looks too weathered for your taste you can always remove the paste by washing it with white spirit. Small amounts will remain around rivet heads and such and it will look like a clean but used loco. You can do this at any time as the paste never fully dries as paint would. It's an almost totally reversible process so it's worth a try.

CoggesRailway - 15/11/2009 10:53 PM

All beautiful locos. off to find that thread on the boxcar. Ian S - it looks real, so full of character. brilliant.

Thanks - glad you like it :party:

Its weathered using 4 methods

1 Airbrush - Sandy colour around the lower part of the loco too look like "road dust"

2 Very watered down acrylic white for the water stains (hand painted with a brush) and dry brushed on to other areas

3 Rusting achieved by using "Real rust" or other similar product - again hand painted.

4 Final spray all over with "Testors Dullcote" to take off the shininess and seal everything in.

This is the only engine I've weathered and enjoyed doing it - I couldn't / wouldn't weather some of my more expensive loco's - This was an exercise in trying weathering as the only thing I've weathered previously were some HLW tippler wagons (which are mainly rust anyway! :rofl: )

My advice - Try it - you might like it ;)

ATB

Ian S