Hogwarts Castle

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Somehow I got talked into buying this yesterday. Its not anywhere near a scale model, its battery powered and has a remote control. It also has some sound.

It works although the range of the remote control needs to be more.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The loco isn't too bad but the coaches are an abomination.

Pauly

Registered
26 Oct 2009
The Midlands
Best answers
god! its a castle on steroids!

Netty

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Leyland, Lancashire
Best answers
Hello Chris, where did you get it? Do you know if it will do R1s? and any chance of a few more piccys. Thanks.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
The coaches apart, the engine dosen't look too bad and I'm interest to hear if it will negotiate R1's

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I got it from Tennents Trains at Halesowen - £140. It comes with a plastic track oval which is just over 4 foot across - I guess that would be the equivilent of R1. It will pull the two coaches up my 1 in 20 incline. The speed control has three speeds and gives a delayed start up and slow down.

The pity about this is that they have made the loco and tender too short. The loco is about the right length for a Churchward 2-6-0. I might build a new chassis some day but having seen the price of gauge one wheels not for a while.

Although the coach bogies aren't great in detail I plan to use them as a base for scratch building a couple of British outline mainline coaches over the winter. Don't think the coach bodies can be used for much.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I've posted a short video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4l9jEvrFK8

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Although all the best locos were painted maroon (Duchesses and Westerns) I expect this loco to turn green over the winter

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Is it me, or do those coaches look as if they are copied from 1950's tri-ang ones?????

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
The loco certainly isn't a Castle,it's supposed to be a Hall.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'm afraid the 1950s Tri-ang ones were far better

Gareth

Railways,Transport, Wildlife ,History
28 Oct 2009
N West Wales
Best answers
Country flag
How about making it a Manor or grange ! have a look at GRS they do a set of manor wheels for g64 which G scale axles and their motor gearbox combo might something half decent and green of course Am thinking of getting one myself !

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
Chris, is it a Lionel radio control set? Alyn

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Gareth - 8/11/2009 6:57 PM

How about making it a Manor or grange ! have a look at GRS they do a set of manor wheels for g64 which G scale axles and their motor gearbox combo might something half decent and green of course Am thinking of getting one myself !

Might as well go the whole hog(wart) and get the Manor kit too.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
What I like about this loco having seen the Vid is that the wheels and motion look very much like the real thing. I would be tempted to convert it to a 2-6-0 on the lines of the one at the West Somerset. Also you could perhaps but in an electric hand controller that was in the cab as a regulator. A reverser could be done by a proper skrew jobby mving a DPDT. With a better battery setup in the tender and repaint to GWR or BR Green you would have a nice loco. The sound is not too bad either. Thanks for popsting the vid.
JonD

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Back in the summer when i went to Hamleys in London i came across a very nice model of Hogwarts Castle all metal made by Noble collections for under £100 looked like it was O gauge. :D

Gareth

Railways,Transport, Wildlife ,History
28 Oct 2009
N West Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Chris how does it compare in size to LGB locos and other G scale rolling stock ?