Hibernation

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
55.5 ,

Not that i have been in the game for long but i have left electric points signals ect out for the past 2 years with no problems ( Ok TE yes i have a big problem with )i do try to run stuff every night even when late home from work. I guess if your not going to run in the winter it makes sence .

Bit like a car if you where going to leave it for six months with out use you may cover it , but if you use it all year round you dont bother

Radish Bahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Meaford, Canada
Best answers
<p>The LGB stuff is pretty rugged. I have left switch motors, supplemental switches, track contacts and insulating rails outdoors for more than 10 years of Canadian winters with no problems. Removing switch motors now would be a good idea because you will have all winter to give them a good cleaning and remove all of the grit, bugs, etc. that finds it's way inside. I never got that organized and realistically I wouldn't have got around to it until I needed them in the spring anyways.
</p><p>My layout was well drained but if you have areas where water might pool and freeze it would be adviseable to remove the electrical devices from those areas. Before removing the wiring from the terminals fold a piece of painters tape or duct tape around the wires to hold them in alignment. That way it will be easy to reconnect them in the spring.</p><p>Don't bother removing any track. It's tough as nails.
</p>

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
:timeout: why? why bring stuff in,, its ment to woork out doors...the mts switch drives stuck in a rain proof boxs, as lgb surgest, been no problem, point motors are out in all weathers, if its indoors, me railway wouldnt work, i like to run all year :)

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
If you bring them in , how can you run trains. :sick:
Just keep using them. :D

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
<p>
stockers - 6/11/2009 10:02 PM If you bring them in , how can you run trains. :sick: Just keep using them. :D
</p><p>Sound like a good idea to me maybe thats why they call it gaden railway :D </p>

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Steve - 6/11/2009 10:06 PM

<p>
stockers - 6/11/2009 10:02 PM If you bring them in , how can you run trains. :sick: Just keep using them. :D
</p><p>Sound like a good idea to me maybe thats why they call it gaden railway :D </p>

On form tonight Aleksander! :clap:

Radish Bahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Meaford, Canada
Best answers
<p>I really like the idea of running trains year round but usually admit defeat some time around half-past December</p>

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Ok, so we don't routinely have 6 foot snow drifts in these warm southern climes, but.....

It was for the very reason mentioned by 55.5 that I have manual points, only 3 waterproof (to IP65) isolating switches sheltering under the water tower, and a mains controller that I take out to play when I run trains.

The Wild West Sussex Railroad relies on the KISS principle - and the little gubbins that there is, stays out all year round :*

:clap: :clap:

Yeah I agree leave it out. I just spent best part of an hour with the leaf blower outside in the hope I can run a train or two this afternoon. :D . The only things which come in are stock and locos.

I suppose mine is a bit more straightforward because I don't have track power but I have some as yet unwired electric points which always stay out too. Don't ask me if the still work though...

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
55.5 - 7/11/2009 1:27 PM

I still run trains though, have a large single loop about 9 feet from the floor in our shop so in the Winter I connect my MTS gear to that in order to run 2 or 3 trains at the same time. We also do a Christmas Train for the kids (all ages!) :)

In that case we will let you off. :rofl: :D

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
it gets up to me chin here ,,when it snows :timeout:

steinman