Hi, help electric aster G-1 SP GS-4

E

EStein

Registered
17 Nov 2020
Wilmington, North Carolina
Hi, inherited train from father. Has no controller or charger. I see items on airwire900, but have no idea what I need to get it going. Or should I replace things?
I also wonder if there is a way to make stationary display that enables train to run but not move.
Thank you for any help, as I am new to the hobby.

Attachments

• 20201116_220414.jpg
    20201116_220414.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201116_220428.jpg
    20201116_220428.jpg
    494 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201116_220446.jpg
    20201116_220446.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201116_220553.jpg
    20201116_220553.jpg
    668.1 KB · Views: 0
P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Welcome to the forum EStein. Whilst I can't help you with the control part of your problem, there are rolling roads available to enable you to have your loco on display and moving. But a layout is much more fun!

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Hi, inherited train from father. Has no controller or charger. I see items on airwire900, but have no idea what I need to get it going. Or should I replace things?
I also wonder if there is a way to make stationary display that enables train to run but not move.
Thank you for any help, as I am new to the hobby.
Welcome to the forum, as Airwire is still available a contact with them should be able to source a new Controller. However if the estate has not been fully cleared it may be that if you know what to look for the controller could be found. Here is a link to the firm for you.

Fred2179G

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Has no controller or charger.
Welcome. A friend of mine just bought one of those in an estate sale. Unfortunately it wasn't well packed so the front is bent. Sigh. They are quite valuable, and coaches are available in 1/32nd from Accucraft.

Yours looks like quite a professional installation (Airwire supplies the pieces but doesn't put it together for you.) Maybe you can figure out who did the installation?
The CVP website will give you photos of the controller - hopefully, as JonD said, you can find it in the estate. If not you can buy one. Make sure you get the complicated one that can program the remote receiver (that board in your loco.) CVP may also be able to find you a professional installer who can interpret what you have and get it going.

[Just did a google search and found my old pal Geoff is a registered dealer, and I know he does a fantastic job.
Phone: 609.915.7112 www.oldirondesigns.com info@oldirondesigns.com]

It wasn't clear how the battery and tender go together, (lots of good padding by the look of it,) but there is a charging jack (bottom left.) You need to figure out what kind of batteries you have - there should be a manufacturers label on that yellow pack somewhere? As I see you are in NC, a good source of chargers (if you can't find your Dad's) would be Tenergy - I have both their NiCad and LiIon chargers.
The board on the left is a sound card, and there should be a speaker somewhere, presumably the other side of the board.

If you just want to put it on a shelf and see the wheels go around, you don't need all those electronics. You can buy rollers that it can sit on (or a professional 'Rolling Road" as mentioned,) and feed it 12-24V DC power through external wires or the rollers.

Reactions: 1 user
Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Don't be in a hurry to bypass the electronics, I suspect that second board is a sound system, and the Airwire remote would allow you to blow the whistle and bell remotely.

Where in the USA are you? You don't want to ship that anywhere, too much danger of damage, but there are tons of people who use Airwire and I think that is a Phoenix sound board, which is also common.

I think we can find someone local to help you out, and all you need is the transmitter, or have you found it?

It might look like this:
1606066143083.jpeg
or this

Greg

Fred2179G

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
? 2 minutes ago this was 2 pages of responses. ? Did it get "moderated" ?

E

EStein

Registered
17 Nov 2020
Found help, ordered AIR T5000 and battery. Dealer said board should be okay, and sound card is the newest they make. I will receive items this coming week and see if it works.
Also refurbishing the cars and adding lights inside. Cars were stored to long. Paint is okay but decal lines are failing.
Cleaning all has been a chore.
Thank you all for the help, will do followup post when all is done.

maxi-model

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
E

EStein

Registered
17 Nov 2020
Please post pictures of the loco and its rake of cars. I used to have a USAT Daylight 6 car set and their EMD F3 ABA set. But I ended up going the Fn3 D&RGW route.

Microscale Decals: Microscale System Pack - 11 1oz bottles - -- NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING -- Try using Microscale Microset and Microsol to reattach and settle the lining decals if they are of the waterslide type. Max
Thank you for the info on decals. I'll take some pictures soon. Haven't cleaned the engine yet, been to occupied with the cars. But next week I'll have a new board in it and engine and tender will be clean.