Help with points...

Dylanlewis2000

Registered
17 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All

I have recenly cleaned and polished my old points. Upon discovery of these i was planning on purchasing new electric points, however i have decided to try and salvage what i have. I purchased two Peko point motors and am after advice as to how to wire these up.

I have my power supply, and point motor and special rocker type switch which im assured is what i need to reverse a switch...

The switch has 3 1 2 on the terminals underneath, so HELP please.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Are these Peco or Piko point motors?

Peco will go rusty if used outdoors. I've never seen them used on G scale points anyhow.

I guess that the new Piko ones are similar to LGB and need an AC supply with 2 diodes on the switch?

If so I have used these from Gaugemaster. Come with the diodes and a wiring diagram.

Simples....

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GM511&style=main&strType=g

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
I guess that the new Piko ones are similar to LGB and need an AC supply with 2 diodes on the switch?

If so I have used these from Gaugemaster. Come with the diodes and a wiring diagram.

Simples....

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GM511&style=main&strType=g

If an ac supply isn't available LGB type point motors may be operated on DC using a double pole version of the switch.
Both the single pole AC version with diodes and the DC double pole version (no diodes needed) wiring diagrams are below.

aa5fb70a2b95489ab6b54deb16981fbe.jpg

Personally I think AC operation is more convenient if you have several sets of points as you can common the unswitched wire to all of the point motors.

Dylanlewis2000

Registered
17 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I really dont have a clue what you both are on about sorry. I have looked at the link, but cant make head nor tails out of it...

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Dylanlewis2000 said:
I really dont have a clue what you both are on about sorry. I have looked at the link, but cant make head nor tails out of it...

Hi Dylan, can I suggest that you post some pictures of your Point Motor, Switch and Point. We then may be able to help you in collaboration with the said pictures. This I am sure should be a big help to you.
JonD

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
This diagram may help . Remember that the switch must be only momentary contact. If not you will very quickly destroy the point motor.
9df1d933721846228d7627e7e8b345c9.jpg

Dylanlewis2000

Registered
17 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,

Thanks for the diagram, i think the chimp in maplins has sold me the wrong switch as mine only had three prongs comming off it!

I will get a photo up here soon!

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Dylanlewis2000 said:
i think the chimp in maplins has sold me the wrong switch as mine only had three prongs comming off it!

Sounds like a SPDT switch - Single Pole Double Throw. As long as it's a momentary contact version (eg. if it's a toggle switch does it spring back to centre?), it could still be useful along with a couple of diodes and an AC supply, as per Neil's first diagram a few posts back ("From 18v AC supply")

Have we established whether the power supply you intend to use outputs AC or DC ? Once we know this and also more details about the switch, the point motor etc. then I'm sure there are plenty of folk who can advise you how to proceed. Photos of the bits will help identification, as JonD has said.

Dylanlewis2000

Registered
17 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Its a DC power supply, going to pop down maplins in a min

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Dylanlewis2000 said:
Its a DC power supply, going to pop down maplins in a min

I hope they sell you a Maplin's code FH07H switch then as you will need an (on)off(on) double pole switch. [H2][/H2] [H2][/H2]

Dylanlewis2000

Registered
17 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Forgot to take my phone so i couldnt check the thread... they didnt have a clue what i was on about and told me that their switch expert wasnt in store tonight.... hummz