Help to identify and wiring connection

Vn-Train

Vn-Train

Registered
6 Nov 2019
California
First of all i want to say Hi to ppl on this forum. Very nice setup. Anyway i just got a LGB Colorado&Southern automotive and tender used from a guy in my neighborhood. There are some wires hang at the back of the loco that isn't connected to anything. Do you guy have any suggestion and how to connect it.

Attachments

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Welcome, I've no idea what the wires are for, but I'd be very very careful about where you put them! Can you see where they start from?

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Registered
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Welcome. Does the tender have a motor? If I would guess they are cables for power to the motor from the loco main board, from the wheels of the tender picking up current to pass to the loco main board, (they would be in the 4 wire cable) and lighting from the loco main board to the tender. But it is a guess.

Vn-Train

Vn-Train

Registered
6 Nov 2019
California
Ok.at the back of the loco, there are 2 black flat cabled, each of this black cable has 3 wire each and soldered to red wires. One cable has 3 red wires and the other had 2 red wires .
On the Tender, it look like no motor on the tender maybe there is sound board on it. Plus there is a 9v battery on 1>top of tender. At the back of tender, there is 6 pins male connection. One red wire connect to a small board under tender. The loco belonged to the seller passed away dad.

Attachments

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Has somebody tried to add connections down the train - either for coach lighting or for battery control tot he loco?

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
My guess:
The original LGB connector (which would have been on the black wires from the loco) has been pulled, and come away.. This would have mated with the connector on the tender.
Wiring would probably have been track-power from tender, rear light on tender, loudspeaker..

What numbers, and stickers are there on the bottom of the loco and tender please? - This will give us the model, an idea of vintage, and what was there originally.

PhilP.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Looking at the Tender there are 6 pins so a 6 pin Plug would have originally been involved as on my Europeanised for me Pennsy LGB 29192. This was a DCC Sound one I think. Here you can see the 6 pin Plug. Sorry for the dark pics, still not much light around!
136427_1ec2ea17bcc8896eaf5a42a97f0496c0.jpeg

On the rear (just above the screw) can be seen this little outlet plug for Lighting, sometimes erroneously used for additional Pickups.
136428_03b5a6458688a4279efe9dd2b6e50b6d.jpeg

My Loco has Tender Track Pickups and a Speaker inside. Thus the 6 pins would I imagine be:-
Track Pickup
Speaker
Lights

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
All this presupposes the loco has not been converted to battery, and/or has the original sound unit replaced.. :think:

It looks to me, like the connector came away, and someone was trying to identify 'what went where'?
OR,
The original electronics was being (or partially being) replaced by a different decoder (or sound decoder).

Personally, I would open the loco up, to see what I had..
However, you *might* (own risk) want to insulate those bare ends, then tentatively try the loco (only) on the track?? - The way some of the black wires seem to be joined together with the red wires, worries me a little..

Paul2727

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
England
First of all i want to say Hi to ppl on this forum. Very nice setup. Anyway i just got a LGB Colorado&Southern automotive and tender used from a guy in my neighbourhood. There are some wires hang at the back of the loco that isn't connected to anything. Do you guy have any suggestion and how to connect it.
These links may be of some help:
Exploded diagram for LGB 2019S (Mogul.)

6 pin flat micro connectors / lead

It would appear that the 9 v battery is the power source for a sound card, with a connection to the motor through the (Missing.) 6 pin connector to synchronise the 'chuff'.

It appears that both tender bogies have pick ups which feed back to the motor through the (Missing.) 6 pin connector.

I'd be tempted to remove the 'additional wiring and insulate all the exposed ends to give a clean starting point.
Then open her up to check for any internal modifications or dcc components.
Regards,
Paul

Last edited:
D

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA
When I see the cable with 2 sets of 3 wires, these are 2 for track power, one for rear light (the bulb references one rail in the tender).
The other set of 3 wires is for the rear axle chuff sensor in the engine as the sound board/s are in the tender.
Also the front tender truck has the bell/whistle reed sensors.

When I see three sets of 2 wires I know the engine has all the electronics (on board decoder and SUSI sound board) and the pairs of wires are as follows: track power, light power, speaker wire.

So be care\eful to not mix up LGB Mogul (2-6-0) tenders and engines as the wiring is quite different!!!!

Paul2727

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
England
The 2019S & 2219S are the only LGB moguls that use a 9 v battery. (Mentioned in you original post.)
As Dan says, there are several different version of this loco, wired differently. If your loco does not have either of these two numbers underneath, be very careful. You just may have a mismatched loco and tender. In which case good luck.
Posting a photo of the loco number would really help us to identify which you have and give better advice.
Find below the exploded diagrams for all the Moguls to help you identify which you have.
Regards,
Paul.