Help required to make it work

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
I haven't run this for a long time so have probably forgotten something that should be done. The handset lights up when switched on and the battery in the motor unit has been charging for a few hours. I cannot see an on/off switch on the motor, do I have to do some sort of pairing?

IMG_1295.jpg

Paul

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
I haven't run this for a long time so have probably forgotten something that should be done. The handset lights up when switched on and the battery in the motor unit has been charging for a few hours. I cannot see an on/off switch on the motor, do I have to do some sort of pairing?

View attachment 284594

Paul
Normally when you plug the batteries in if the handset is turned on the motor will buzz. There is no switch in the motor part just putting the battery in turns the system on which is why it is most important to pull the battery out after use. Could the batteries be trashed?

The grey one with the screw is the one that takes normal AA’s (note only 2 contacts). The screw allows them to be fitted, have you tried to recharge the grey one as that will not work.

Finally the bettrey pack does require a good firm push into place and will click in.

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Oh dear, I had forgotten that the grey one was for AA batteries! The black one is being charged and 4 rechargeable AAs are also being charged.

In the meantime I thought I would test the motor and put power to the two exposed metal bits underneath but no joy so maybe there is a different problem.

IMG_1296.jpg

Paul

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Also check that the motor unit has a crystal plugged in? - A 'brown' one, the same as the transmitter..

PhilP

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Oh dear, I had forgotten that the grey one was for AA batteries! The black one is being charged and 4 rechargeable AAs are also being charged.

In the meantime I thought I would test the motor and put power to the two exposed metal bits underneath but no joy so maybe there is a different problem.

View attachment 284599

Paul
Tried that just now with mine did not do anything either. Nor with the RC turned on. Think a live battery must throw some kind of relay. All was ok with a set if good batteries and the rc turned on.

Reactions: 1 user

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Thank you for the responses. It's all put away for now but will have another go in a couple of days or so.

Walter, your website looks very informative and has given me some new things to try. Your offer of a call is generous however being deaf it might prove awkward! If after trying the suggestions I still have a problem I will email you if I may.

Thanks again

Paul