Have you ever regretted selling a train?

The Devonian

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
One thing I have realized that as you progress in the hobby your aspirations, knowledge and of course likes, alter over a period of time.
I have sold on some of my Bachmann 1:22.5 stock: Billboards, in the main, which disappeared before WW2 (oh! yes they look pretty, that's why I bought a couple :D), but my railroading time frame is 1950 - 1970. Some 1:29 boxcars went to make way for road names I preferred and I felt that I only needed one set of J&S passenger cars. A bobber caboose or two went as they were surplus. No regrets whatsoever, but I was certain in my mind before I parted with them. Most have gone to folks starting up in the hobby at, although I say it myself, at low prices. (I'm not in it for the money:D).
Not all unwanted items have been sold. Some things such as 1:22.5 ng tank cars, which look and are, out of scale with 1:29 have been converted into flat cars or had caboose bodies mounted upon them. Open gondolas made to look more in keeping with my time scale have had the trussing removed.

D

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Well nice to see I'm not alone out there in changing the way I buy models.

Most of my US stuff either lives in boxe or on shelves, I much prefer to run my painted and kitbashed stuff.

I have not decided the ins and outs of what will be sold how or when but needles to say I'll let all those on the forum know.

Thanks for all the input.

Dave

New Haven Neil 2

New Haven Neil 2

Registered
24 May 2011
Isle of Man
Sell? I'm with Edward!

Dtsteam

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
I much prefer a swap deal if I can get one. It can take a while, but somehow an exchange of boxes isn't as painful as an all cash sale.
I have regretted selling some stuff, and that has helped me to be more considered in my purchases.

R

Rob s

trains, R/C models, 4x4 off roading, motor sport
24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Like most have not regreted selling any
as all the money has been re invested.

Mind i have regreted buying a couple :rofl::rofl::rofl:

funandtrains

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
I've regretted selling a few but regretted buying more!:rofl:

Many in the past were bought on a wim because I saw them at a good price and had the cash to spend. Since over the past 3-4 years my outgoings have significantly increased and my income dropped if I want a new model I've had to decide what to sell to pay for it. It has forced me decide what I like most and sell what does not fit in. If an unexpected big bill has come in I've also had to choose an item or two to sell which sometimes I've replaced later. Since the economy does not seem to be improving much although, fingers crossed, I have a reasonable job at the moment I should really force myself to decide what to let go now rather than having to find something that will sell quickly in a panic when I need the money, especially as listening to many of you describe your collections it make me think I may of gone a bit over the top (well at least that is what SWMBO keeps telling me!:rofl:)

Over the past 10 years I've been buying G scale the prices of different brands has fluctuated with LGB being much cheaper for a while and then Accucraft being more affordable for a while. Now most brands seem to be expensive so most purchases have to be considered.

Unlike many people who have posted here I have concentrated on US models in particular those from the South-West such as Rio Grande, Southern Pacific and C&S plus logging lines. I still have some European stock because there are locos I love and have rolling stock to match. I've tried to resist the temptation to buy Swiss N.G. or Euro Standard Gauge but it is difficukt with Piko, Trainline and others making more better priced, good looking models!

G

GlenF

G Scale, LGB, British 16mm, Live steam and electri
24 Oct 2009
Michigan, USA
www.flickr.com
Regret selling stuff? All the time!

I started out with US outline equipment and built up a sizeable collection but later sold it all when I discovered LGB. Some time later I became fascinated by live steam and all the LGB was sold. I later regretted both decisions so the American and LGB collection was slowly built back up again.....once I had resold some of the steamers.

But that's typical me, I tend to go through hot and cold phases. For example I'll spend a few weeks focusing on my US outline trains and nothing else. And then I'll lose interest and spend the next few weeks purely with my LGB equipment. And then I might go through a live steam phase and all the electric trains are boxed away and forgotten. I even go through phases when I lose interest in G-scale altogether! But I always come back to it eventually.

I've got 3 live steamers sitting in a cupboard that haven't been touched (literally) for over a year. They really need to go.

To be honest, if I was starting again from nothing I'd probably go off on a completely new tangent and focus entirely on British outline narrow gauge. I love what Mel has done with the WGLR. In fact I'm currently thinking of selling some US trains and using the proceeds to buy some loco kits from GRS. Will I become completely fascinated by British outline and end up selling the rest of my US and LGB trains to finance it?.....maybe......will I later regret it?......almost certainly. But who knows, maybe British narrow gauge is the thing I've been searching for all these years.....or else I'm completely mad!!

I do envy you guys who can focus on one style and stick with it.

Glen

funandtrains

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
If I had the money and space to store it I would buy every thing available and danger with G scale is that because there are only a few suppliers it seems more feasible than other scales when in reality you would have to be a multi-millionare to afford it and have a wharehouse to store it.

PaulRhB

PaulRhB

Registered
One thing that helps with selling stuff on is selling it on here and knowing it's gone to a good home. I've got several locos bought from others here too so some of it goes round in circles :) I kept a list of all the locos I've had and sold on and over half went to members, some have moved again since so its like real railways moving stock around as demands change.
There are a few locos that will remain even if themes change just because I like them. The Bachmann Eureka survived the US narrow gauge cull because I couldn't get it in On30 so couldn't part with it. I could only bear to part with my Santa fe F units and BNSF units once I'd got the same models in HO.

stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
this is interesting reading of others who also have phases of interest

i tend to use trains as an 'internal' entertainment-ie i become engrossed-most often building or painting, or working up new things to add to the layout-its focused and in that way mentally relaxing as diversion /total immersion-not unlile reading, but far more creative

i find simply i love trains of all types-and i love to run the live steam too -they all come and go with inspirations-

i do find, and what i like about the hobby, is that unlike horses ( a former passion left behind a decade ago, with law practice demands increasing as well as family and an allergic son)
-which if you put aside get out of shape, and still eat and need vets

-you can put trains aside entirely without continuing costs
and i will also do this when work, mountaineering, or other 'non-internal' interests that also seem to tap into another side of me, push trains aside for months -and i think this, for me, is very healthy-mentally and literally, as i will likely be doing more sport or running or physical stuff

Reactions: Hutch
C

ceejaydee

Big Trains
29 Nov 2009
Far East of Bedfordshire
I have bought and sold many railway items over the years as interests changed however there were always a few items that I never considered selling - Mamod starter set (circa 1985), LGB Stainz starter set, Hornby Hymek, Hornby Albert Hall.

I do regret selling the majority of my childhood Hornby collection when I moved into TT/3mm scale in the mid 1980s.
Upon reflection much had been 'improved' or weathered so would of had little monetary value but having your original railway equipment is worth more than that and all of it was given to me as presents or bought with birthday money etc so there is still an element of regret remaining.
However I have over the past two or three years been replacing much of what I had as a boy along with many items I desired from those 1970s and 80s Hornby catalogues from toy fairs, ebay and the second hand sections in model shops.
With the expectations of modern OO being streets ahead of the 70s and 80s offerings I have built up a nice collection of mostly boxed items for not a great deal of money - I get a real sense of satisfaction to be able to pick up mint boxed Triang or Triang-Hornby wagons for as little as £2.

I sold lots of surplus OO and all my N gauge in 2010 to fund an entry into Gauge One and whilst I don't regret selling the surplus stock - much of which I hadn't even used I'm not sure that G1 was the right choice.

I now have a similar decision to make with my HOe collection (Ho NG, not gardening tools or ladies of dubious reputation ;) ) I have built up a reasonable collection of items over the past five or so years again mostly as new second hand along with a good deal of bargain new items but I have only test run some of it and have never owned an HOe layout. I did build a OO9 layout back in the late 80s which I sold to a friend as I couldn't really get on with building small stock but if I take the approach to only run my HOe collection rather than attempting to build stock then I could have some fun...

As a slight aside I did regret selling my Action Man collection in the very early 80s but as I'm now waist deep in them I think I will be thinning my 1/6th scale figure collection before any more railway equipment is sold.

Apologies for drifting as always....... ;)

garrymartin

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
I've only sold 2 loco's, I see their pictures every now and again when their current owner posts one on here or in the G Scale mag. The money was reinvested in the railway.
Touch Wood :banghead: that I am never in a situation where I have to sell any.
edited cos I cant use this bloody laptop:wits:

O

oldoak

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Dorset & Canberra
I do regret selling the majority of my childhood Hornby collection

However I have over the past two or three years been replacing much of what I had as a boy along with many items I desired from those 1970s and 80s Hornby catalogues from toy fairs, ebay and the second hand sections in model shops.
With the expectations of modern OO being streets ahead of the 70s and 80s offerings I have built up a nice collection of mostly boxed items for not a great deal of money - I get a real sense of satisfaction to be able to pick up mint boxed Triang or Triang-Hornby wagons for as little as £2.
Chris
This is a bit of a curly one for me as well.
When I was a kid I was bought a British Tri-ang OO set. To which was added at appropriate birthdays, The Royal Mail, bag pick-up & drop set & the automatic ore wagon drop set.
A few years later my brother was bought a set in US outline, to avoid arguments????? All went well until he decided to sell his US stuff!
Some how mine went as well. I loved the ore set & spied one only last week at a Car Boot sale, I was very very tempted.
One of my favourite LGB items is the ore wagon and I have longed for them to bring out an automatic discharge setup like the OO one. But they never did.

After my second daughter was bourn I gave up hope for a boy and bought a big red LGB ore wagon, & a loco to pull it.
One of the influence?s was that because they were so expensive I would only get one or two items a year, rather than spend lots & lots on £3 or £4 items and this proved to be the case.
So because they are nearly all the result of a special occasion (my third daughter bit the door hinge of her celebratory carriage the day I brought it home) I would find it very difficult to sell any.

I do agree about the old "OO" quality, and that has taken some of the nostalgia out of some of my car boot discoveries.

M

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
Having spent a couple nights 'sleeping on it', I've decided to share this story. This is the only sale that I've 'regretted'.
As you've all seen, MOST of my locos, and things aren't 'straight out of the box'. They've been bashed or bodged together from bits of nothing.

A couple years ago, I was in a bit of a bind and decided I had to sell a couple locos. I offered them at what I really thought was a fair price. A guy emails me, saying he REALLY, REALLY wanted both of them, but he only had about 2/3 of what I was asking....

Imagine my surprise a week later to see bits and chunks both locos being sold on ebay.

Seems he wanted the one for some parts that were no longer available. and the other just for the driveline...........

Yes, I realize they were now HIS to do with as he wished..... but had I known he was going to promptly undo all MY efforts, he'd have damned well payed full asking asking price!

Richie

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Have only sold three G scale Loco's and a few freight cars which i don't have any regrets as the funds went towards my Live Steam C-16 :clap:

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Like others here, I've sold on a few things that were bought in haste and then didn't really fit; I suppose the biggest thing was my entire first-time-round lot of LGB that I bought around 1988-1992 - not a very extensive collection: a Stainz, a U class, a very basic orange KoF, plus a handful of rolling stock and a moderate amount of track (never got round to laying it outside). Decided that I'd never get the chance to use it, sold it all in one lot to a dealer (yes, I could have got more, but it was hassle-free at the time). Regretted it on and off for the next ten years, then decided to re-take the plunge in 2003, starting again with a Digital Starter Set with MTS2. The rest, as they say, is history (or geography, which is what I'll be if SWMBO ever adds up the cost....) ;)

Jon.

beavercreek

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
East Anglia
www.facebook.com
regretted buying...yes
regretted selling...no...........not yet!

F

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
My most enjoyable days are when I give something to a friend, or someone who is more needy than I am.
Yes, some may need the cash to survive, but the pleasure of giving sure is an experience, that money can't purchase. Try it some time; you just might like it, and make a new friend at the same time. I assure you, that it is worth it...

ebay mike

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Short answer - yes. Long answer - yeeeeeeeeeeessssssss.