Have I hurt her?

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Well I have enjoyed steam ownership for 6 weeks with a Lady Anne, it's great! However I allowed the wife to call me in for dinner midway through my preparation and returned to fire her up with only the remainder of last sessions water.... I know terrible, but please don't report me to the Royal Society for the Protection of Cute Little Steam Engines! I soon ground to a halt and when I went to have a look there was a very hot smell, not like the usual steamy oily one. I realised what had happen and, heart sinking, I turned off the gas and let it cool down. After it had got stonecold I steamed up again and it behaved as per normal.

Would be evident if I have damaged it? What do I look out for? Steam leaking from somewhere? Thanks in advance.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
You won't have damaged her in the least little bit! the harm comes when you try to fill an empty hot boiler, as you let her cool 1st it won't be a problem.

steveciambrone

trains, boats, planes
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Done that before, all my steamers are still running.

Steve

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
CoggesRailway - 3/11/2009 1:09 AM

Well I have enjoyed steam ownership for 6 weeks with a Lady Anne, it's great! However I allowed the wife to call me in for dinner midway through my preparation and returned to fire her up with only the remainder of last sessions water.... I know terrible, but please don't report me to the Royal Society for the Protection of Cute Little Steam Engines! I soon ground to a halt and when I went to have a look there was a very hot smell, not like the usual steamy oily one. I realised what had happen and, heart sinking, I turned off the gas and let it cool down. After it had got stonecold I steamed up again and it behaved as per normal.

Would be evident if I have damaged it? What do I look out for? Steam leaking from somewhere? Thanks in advance.

Nearly, if not everyone, has done this at some point – if they have been running live steam for any length of time at all that is! In fact you did not panic and you did *exactly* the right thing and all will be absolutely fine. These little steam engines are pretty tough and the boilers are hugely over-engineered. While you can obviously run your locomotive safely at the moment, as you gain more experience with your loco you will find that you gain a pretty good idea of the state of the water in the boiler just by how the locomotive is behaving. Don't force the knowledge – it will come naturally and you will start to become more adventurous – perhaps adding a water fill system etc. In fact it is all a bit like learning to drive. At first you are knackered 'cos you are concentrating so hard, but as you become at home in the live steam environment you will be more and more relaxed about it. Enjoy your loco – it is in safe hands...

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
minimans - 3/11/2009 1:22 AM

You won't have damaged her in the least little bit! the harm comes when you try to fill an empty hot boiler, as you let her cool 1st it won't be a problem.

100% correct - for anyone reading, can I just re-inforce what Paul said, you MUST allow things to cool down completely before you add any water - otherwise it WILL end in tears.......as in at least a collapsed firetube, and possibly an explosion.

That 'hot' smell is the signal to shut the fire off immediately!

Neil.

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
I did it to Tag's Edrig, that survived!