Harz Type Battery Railcar with some Playmobil abuse to create a New Battery Operated almost like.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, the literature does show how how to activate the bells and whistles using reed switches and magnets, or you can set the MLS to auto mode.
Well spotted Jimmy, as I have never used Track Power for MLS Cards I have never boned up on it.

Progress with the Spray up has been somewhat protracted with lots of filling, cleaning up spraying and so on. However I have reached a pretty well ‘near enough’ stage with just a few over-sprays to sort out then I can attend to some of the finer points in the Paint Job like where to put some of the Black Lining as can be seen with the source inspiration Car.

Below can be seen the Railcar with Masking Tape applied so that the 2 colour Body Spray can be applied, once the Body has had that initial first Coat of Creme the Masking is applied for another Coat of Creme to the unmasked part this effectively prevents over spray. However here on this Project that did not work entirely as planned due to a groove on the Model. But that system works for a Flat Body extremely well, info about this sourced from the Forum.
B80876B4-432B-4B50-916C-19FD6AC9D3E4.jpeg
Below a Spray of Red Undercoat is applied before the Red.
1698EC11-8CB0-4CC9-8CC6-92452B3B1A7E.jpeg
finally the Red is next to go on.
8DAA617C-7C76-4D3F-A84E-8E3E61AF3806.jpeg
Below you can see the final effect of the two Colours, some odd blemishes to sort out but I like the overall effect. On the Source Cars in the first Pictures you can see Black below and Black Lining. The below Black will be the varying Battery Boxes etc and the Lining will be applied using some thin Automotive stuff that I have.
698ECC48-F220-411E-A522-8B8C49ED2750.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Another couple of must do jobs carried out today.
1st was a Rest Run to see if the Chassis will negotiate LGB R1 Curves, passed that ok just hoping the when the body is on the Couplings will not snag the Front Faring. Also whilst on about Couplings, the Lashy setup that I used to secure them to the Bogies with 12ba Nuts and Bolts was really showing it’s ineadequacy. So a little more Metal Bashing and some 10ba Nuts and Bolts has produced a more secure arrangement. Just a quick blast of Rattle Can Matt Black will finish these off.
E35125DC-D0DE-43DA-860C-07C4833B655D.jpeg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Further to the MLS Sound Card, it can enacting Sounds sans any other connection. Just reading the MLS add in the recent Garden Rail of course Sounds can be triggered from the TV Remote also used for Programming. Knew that, forgot that! Probably should also say they are compatible with DCC, not sure how though.

Hm DCC in a Battery thread is that allowed? In my world why not!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I know that the MLS Cards can be used on Track Power, not quite sure how the Bell or Whistle can be activated? Perhaps by Track Mounted Magnet and Reed Switch on the Loco? Perhaps someone who knows more could comment?
You can buy a standard Sony TV remote controller, and all of the features on the MLS sound cards can be activated by means of an infra-red receiver pre-wired to each sound card. This works whether track powered or battery powered.

On my Connie, with a MLS steam sound card, I have the infra-red receiver mounted on the tender front, and for running purposes, I take off the removable dummy timber plate for direct line of sight contact.

On big Bertha (a Bachmann 45 tonner) with a MLS diesel sound card, I have the infra-red receiever mounted in mastic in one of the exhausts atop the bonnet - it's barely visible.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
You can buy a standard Sony TV remote controller, and all of the features on the MLS sound cards can be activated by means of an infra-red receiver pre-wired to each sound card. This works whether track powered or battery powered.

On my Connie, with a MLS steam sound card, I have the infra-red receiver mounted on the tender front, and for running purposes, I take off the removable dummy timber plate for direct line of sight contact.

On big Bertha (a Bachmann 45 tonner) with a MLS diesel sound card, I have the infra-red receiever mounted in mastic in one of the exhausts atop the bonnet - it's barely visible.
Hm interesting, I once bought one of those remote Universal handsets. Had to be programmed by an extremely tedious means to get it to work with ‘any TV/Vid/DVD’ etc. That was if you could find out what ‘Band’ or whatever the word is that the receiving device required.Must try out the odd remotes that I have kicking around.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Bought my handset from the MLS retailer £10:00, already set-up, and works very well.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Hm interesting, I once bought one of those remote Universal handsets. Had to be programmed by an extremely tedious means to get it to work with ‘any TV/Vid/DVD’ etc. That was if you could find out what ‘Band’ or whatever the word is that the receiving device required.Must try out the odd remotes that I have kicking around.
Yeah, it had to be the Sony one in Peter Spoerer days - I see that Richard (Fosworks) sells a universal one (you probably can't get the basic Sony one anymore) but I suspect that he will pre-set them before selling them.

They work well, and I have always been able to control all features on both soundcards with the one remote controller - as it's infra-red, the range is fairly short (as in, how big is your lounge ? :D:D ) but it works well :clap::clap:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, it had to be the Sony one in Peter Spoerer days - I see that Richard (Fosworks) sells a universal one (you probably can't get the basic Sony one anymore) but I suspect that he will pre-set them before selling them.

They work well, and I have always been able to control all features on both soundcards with the one remote controller - as it's infra-red, the range is fairly short (as in, how big is your lounge ? :D:D ) but it works well :clap::clap:
I have an original Spoerer one but got a new one from Fosworks recently as the old one was a little bit Flakey on updating the varying functions.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Still tweaking with Paint and catching up on bits that have been left out. But as well as that I have been looking at Internal Seating. The original PM Coaches have 4 very comfortable seats each side of the door with a table. Thus a capacity of just 8, inadequate for a Harz DMU. So I have been looking at my Bits Box which has some left overs from the Ruschbahn plus possibly some bits that I have added. It certainly helps to have similar bits all in one old Take - Out Carton.
must be something cobalable from this little lot.
A07B1736-74A7-40DA-8D6E-AEC30FD33694.jpeg
Cutting off excess Plastic gave me these 2 configurations, ideal and a seating Capacity (assuming rows of 4, been taking too many clues from Modern UK Capacities) of 20 each end for a Total of 40.
7BAAC362-DC61-42E8-A435-B26E388E3866.jpeg
46E4C4F3-C368-457F-B1DC-8BCA8A73069F.jpeg
Please do not ask where these all came from, the Brown may well be LGB, Green and Grey x Bachmann USA Coaches? First though I needed to do some fill for where I had chopped out bits that held the PM Seats and Tables in place. A couple of bits of 10 thou Plasticard well sanded for a rough floor look filled that Bill.
4439B8FF-B96A-4E82-B066-C2C347CC5E34.jpeg
The seats were then UHU Powered in place with a small block of Wood used to ensure neat fitting.
E303CC05-3240-4963-8126-3E125CFDFB7D.jpeg
Sit up and beg is a good description for users of these seats (used to be used for the stock used on GN Steam Trains out of Moorgate as in “sit up and beg for better seats”).

Next up was the realisation of a monumental kick up (to quote Hello Hello) where I sprayed the Door Red to Window level, hm. May work for Disability Sighted Access, but I am not too sure that sort of thing has hit the Harz as yet so more Masking and Spraying required. Also sprayed up the Control Panel Matt Rattle Can Grey befor putting back the carefully removed sign on the original PM ones. I will probably be adding some extra detail to the varying Buttons etc perhaps also some changes to the Thrash Handles.

F268BF0B-2C0B-449C-A54D-056E518CA529.jpeg
Finally a shot of some of the odds and bods having more Spray treatment. The bits on the Turntable in Black are the varying bits that hold the doors in the Unit. Need to think about a Colour for the Drivers Seats, think that possibly Brown to represent Leather Upholstery May be acceptable. After all our important Drivers must be looked after.
2C9EF552-8DE1-422C-8B3D-2CBDAD71A0D5.jpeg

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
The finished seats look just the thing - looks just like fabric covering.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good, Jon :clap: :clap:

Paulus

Registered
13 Jan 2012
Best answers
Great to follow this build. You come up with some great ideas using the Playmobil trains, construction of the bogies and using bits and pieces from everywhere etc. Very inventive! I am enjoying this! :)

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Been working on the Passengers and Under-chassis details. This is the selection of Passengers that will be inserted into the Railcar. I need to hide the 2 bolts that hold the Bogies in place in the entrance walkways so have come up with a couple of ruses. One end will be the Lady (coloured Brown) sat with her suitcase, I have drilled a hole and widened it out so that the Nut and Bolt will be lost. Inside the hole will be lots of Bluetack to keep her in place. The other end I lucked out Big Time with a Suitcase that has an opening lid. This will disguise the Nut and Bolt with a Lady stood by waiting for her next stop. Other Passengers will be seated. Not sure what variety of Dog that is, but he will probably painted Creme like Barney.
37EC7C5F-5EB2-42E2-9860-D9A9BC130231.jpeg
2 Train-crew will be present sat in the Cabs. One a seated US Figure has had his Cowboy Hat cut to more resemble a German Cap. The other was that leaning LGB guy that pops up in so many LGB Locomotives. I really hate his stance and some of my others have had all sorts of abuse to them to ensure that leaning forward look has been lost. This guy was not excused such abuse and has been cut, filed, filled and generally abused to be turned into a seated Driver. The first Group Picture shows his varying amputations.
C312E348-CC51-4A39-8C36-98FB08FDCB35.jpeg
This Picture shows how Nails have been used to hold him back together again. No Kings Horses or Men required for this Operation, just a thin pin and small drilled holes with Glue. The Next Stage with Filler will make all secure.
CC0E4F47-AFE5-4EA5-BA1E-7313A3E0FFCA.jpeg
This last Pic shows him prior to application of Paint.
1D94F567-7DDA-45E2-945C-815BE09F786E.jpeg
Finally a couple of Pics of the details of varying Equipment the Boxes that live below. These are scraps of Plasticard Screwed to the inner Ally Angle with 12ba NutsnBolts. Detail is Plasticard Doors, Hinges and Handles from off cuts. Also how I constructed the Fuel Tank, here I used an old Print Paper Till Roll piece of Plastic with some end Plasticard glued on and sanded Round. Some Brass Tube and Brass End soldered up and field to shape acts as a filler with some Strapping to hold in place from small section N/S Strip soldered to a flat which is held in place with 10ba NutsnBolts.
2E9BB5DB-E199-4908-93A0-A794717A6065.jpeg
0AFB03E8-FAAA-4F7D-B6D8-E17CFDC35AE5.jpeg

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Going to be quite a busy train.

The opening suitcase looks like a Playmobil one.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Going to be quite a busy train.

The opening suitcase looks like a Playmobil one.
I think you could well be right, I have had varying bits of PM surface from varying Boxes. In which ‘Case’ it fits right in with this project!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I think you could well be right, I have had varying bits of PM surface from varying Boxes. In which ‘Case’ it fits right in with this project!
Suits it to a TV

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks to David’s build thread on his varying Coaches I have been able to id the former Brown seats in Post 71. They are clearly from an LGB Toy Train Coach, these likely came from the Ruschbahn collection of bits left in a box as he also did a Bogie Toy Train Coach conversion. Boy was it a heavy beast.