- 6 Apr 2017
Yes the P38 is a standard Car Body Filler, and no the Car Factor in the Nits closed some 3-4 Years ago so nothing of that ilk now sadly.Great build and really taking shape now,I have followed this one,as for P38,I am assuming that its the car filler so would there not be a car factors near you as you had problems getting some,just a thought.
I normally go to Cambridge for the Halfords which I can get to by Bus and Walking. The Biggleswade one is I believe at an out of Town Mall some way from the centre of Town but probably not much more of a Walk than Cambridge. I never Drive unless I really need to, preferring Public Transport where possible. Just not wanting to go to Cambridge pr Biggleswade as Barney has been having the trots and do not want to leave him too long hence the Net order.There's a Halfords at Biggleswade
Those bits either side of the axle boxes look suspiciously like the screw top of a spark plugBeen busy working on the Axle Boxes having finally cast all 8. 1st Up was to trial fit one. It was drilled for the Bogie Extended Axles in the Lathe - more of that in a minute. But here is the first trial fit and the rest of the Resin ones awaiting clean up.
View attachment 257934
Drilling these for the Axles had to be done in the Lathe to get a good Centre. 1st stage is to use a Centre Drill, these give a reliable Centre more so than a Flexible Drill would.
View attachment 257935
Having got the Centre started then it was time for the Drill. 3mm Approx. You can see the Point Marker that I used to ensure not over drilling out the other side, Undesirable.
.View attachment 257936
The final stage is to finish off the depth so that the Drill is just starting to Dimple out the undesirable end. I do this by hand with the piece in my hand and the Drill still in the Holder. As the piece is Soft the tactic works just fine.
View attachment 257937
The Boxes had some grease put in the Hole and glued in place with Hafix, a quick test on Power proved that nothing was gummed up. The grease should ensure that. Finally a couple of pics with all the ends in place. Behind the pic can be seen the other things I have been casting, Barrels and Ally Ingots for loads. The Barrell Master has reached the end of its days after probably 25-30 uses.
View attachment 257938
View attachment 257939
This afternoon on a nice day I took the opportunity to spray up the Bogies, so now they re all nice and Black waiting for the arrival of some Plastic Glue so that I can get on with the bodywork.
I use Lego with liquid silicon and while you get a very fine detailed rendition of the Lego wall it never gets further than the studs if you press them fully home. It also allows me thinner mould walls, to make extricating certain parts easier, as I can support them during moulding with Lego walls. I have a ‘mould table’ on a plate covered in 2x2 flat tiles that I add plain walls to, (not interlocked at the corners), to support the mould.I use Lego to contain the Master Silgum. If I were using a Liquid Variety I would seal up the Lego Blocks inner edges with Copydex as it searches out all the nooks and crannies whilst drying.