dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Tricky to know the right place to post this. I thought that as quite a few out there are interested in the Harz some interest might be generated by knowledge of these Tomes. I have bought them on varying Trips to Germany, but the latest was obtained from Ebay.DE. So if interested one can get them without that long journey.
image.jpeg
There may be more of these Specials available, these just happen to be the ones I found. All are full of iconic Pictures and information about the Harz. Just a few notes of what each one has within it pages, all of course German Text.

1 Schmalspur-paradies Harz. Top Left. Published 3/2005.
This one keeps itself to the Metre Gauge Lines of the Harz including the SudHarz Eisenbahn. Many nice old pics as well as a good current crop. Also pics of an interesting Wood Bodied Railcar on Tests before export to Brazil. For good general coverage of the lines this is a hard one to beat.

2 Die Eisenbahn im Harz. Top Right. Published 1/94.
This tome is a general look at the Railways of the Harz Area including Standard Gauge Lines so is perhaps a little less use to the Modeller. However an interesting Picture of a 99-5901 on its side after an incident near Alexisbad, also some older pics and some of the Rubelandbahn. A definate must to do behind Steam if you ever get the chance.

3 Model & Vorbild Harzreise mit der Dampfeisenbahn. Bottom Left. Published 13/2012.
My most recent purchase from Ebay. I noticed this in No.4 and was looking for it in Gemany this Year, only to realise that it was 4 Years out of Date! Complete with a DVD this was well worth the effort to obtain. Containing many old Photographs I have not seen elswhere and a listing of Post Train workings made this well worthwhile to me. Some superb Models of the Brocken Line are also present. The DVD is available as a separate item so it may already be in your collection.

4 Harzer Schmalspur-Spezialitaten Bottom Right. Published this Year I think, no date found.
This was the best find that I have made of all these Works. It gives good information about Goods Working on the SelketalBahn, just my thing as I use Car Cards in my Operations. I am using Google Translate to understand all the Freight Train Captions and already have learned a good deal on how to get my line working with the correct Trains/Wagon Loadings. Also some interesting pages on Ore Loading Sites on the HSB with Track Diagrams included. Details of the Stahlwagen Coach a suitable candidate for a Newquid Bash. Goods workings in Wernigerode with Rollblocks. Various Timetable Reprints and finally a piece on a 750/760 mm Gauge mostly Mineral Railway near Lauterberg. A packed Tome that I would not have missed for the world.

Hope this little review helps with your Harz Modelling needs for information and where to get it. There are of course Books and I may do a short list of these at some time.
JonD

Reactions: 1 users

Lobethalbahn2

Registered
21 Dec 2009
Canberra
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for posting these reviews Jon, especially the "Harzer Schmalspur-Spezialitaten". I've been debating whether to get it, but I will probably go ahead now.

Many of these titles are now available to purchase as pdf-ebook format (especially useful for the out of print ones) from the publisher Verlagsgruppe Bahn through their online shop:

https://shop.vgbahn.info/vgbahn

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I can recommend the Eisenbahn Journal.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Found another one today in my Railway Workshop. Completely forgot about it as I filed it with Model Reference Mags etc.
image.jpeg
This is a really super Production by the same crowd that used to publish the late and by me sadly lamented Mittel-Puffer Magazine. The contents of this one are some very interesting Building Drawings of both Brocken and Sekeltalbahn with some Signalling Block Logic Tables very unusual. A fair bit of content for the Sud Harz Line including some Building Drawings. An unusual shot of Steinenern Renne with Track Diagram showing a Siding that went under the very Sharpe Curve hear to a Stone Loading point that was served by a Narrower Gauge Railway. Good article and Drawings of the 2-4-0-0-4-2 Mallet that I am looking to build. Imagine the 2-6-2t on Steroids. Drawing of the old Signal Cabin? at Alexisbad that is now preserved at Gernrode. Drawing of a Sudharz Railcar T02. Plus some more content on other Stone Loading Points. A really useful packed production that may prove a little tricky to get hold of being Published 1/2005.
JonD

Reactions: 1 users

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
The two Harzer Schmalspur-Spezialitaten books are fantastic for detail and lets hope more are done :)
The Roper book is another of my favourites for info, though the pics are all black and white, turns up on german ebay a lot for around £12-£15
IMG_4266.JPG

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The two Harzer Schmalspur-Spezialitaten books are fantastic for detail and lets hope more are done :)
The Roper book is another of my favourites for info, though the pics are all black and white, turns up on german ebay a lot for around £12-£15
View attachment 216820
I had the original East German cooy of this one with Nasty Paper and awful quality pictures. Some Years back now I found this version in a Bookstall at Hamburg Hbf, grabbed it and passed the old one over to a friend who was just starting his LGB Garden Railway. East German based of course. Great infirmative Book for Harz NG fans.
JonD

Trainman58

When I grow up I want to be Compo- minus the feret
23 Nov 2013
Auckland,NZ
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Found another one today in my Railway Workshop. Completely forgot about it as I filed it with Model Reference Mags etc.
View attachment 216817
This is a really super Production by the same crowd that used to publish the late and by me sadly lamented Mittel-Puffer Magazine. The contents of this one are some very interesting Building Drawings of both Brocken and Sekeltalbahn with some Signalling Block Logic Tables very unusual. A fair bit of content for the Sud Harz Line including some Building Drawings. An unusual shot of Steinenern Renne with Track Diagram showing a Siding that went under the very Sharpe Curve hear to a Stone Loading point that was served by a Narrower Gauge Railway. Good article and Drawings of the 2-4-0-0-4-2 Mallet that I am looking to build. Imagine the 2-6-2t on Steroids. Drawing of the old Signal Cabin? at Alexisbad that is now preserved at Gernrode. Drawing of a Sudharz Railcar T02. Plus some more content on other Stone Loading Points. A really useful packed production that may prove a little tricky to get hold of being Published 1/2005.
JonD
Version 2 is out on the market now. Just got two from Amazon. Very nice too.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Picked up a new book on the HSB, Zug in die Wolken, Olaf Haensch

FullSizeRender.jpg

Lots of super winter shots, Some more arty but interesting shots

FullSizeRender.jpg

Lots more good conventional pictures but also a good selection of interesting new angles. What sets this book apart from the others I have are plenty of aerial shots brilliant for modelling.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Around €39, not cheap, but for the money a great book if you're a Harz enthusiast. I got it from Germany on eBay in 4 days well wrapped.
Very pleased with it.
(New photos uploaded after Photobucket destroyed links to original images)

Last edited:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Love the aerial shots

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the heads-up on the book, Paul - looks very good from your pics, I've just grabbed myself a copy via Amazon! :)

Jon.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think you'll be impressed :) oh and there's an arty, very German 'arty', Witches pic on page 166 :0)

Would that be 'arty' like pages 150-151 of Dampflok Paradies Harz by any chance?
:eek::tmi:;)

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes but further away and only the one, well two depending whether it's the image or . .
Looks interesting Paul, any pics of the Sekeltalbahn in it?
JonD

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
I bought "Von der GHE HSB" which is a 2 volume history of the HSB from their shop in Nordhausen for a remarkable Eur19.95. It is available from their webshop at the same price. Here is the link to the shop.:

http://shop.hsb-wr.de/drucksachen/von-der-ghe-zur-hsb

51OKabJHx+L._AC_US160_.jpg

The first volume deals with the Selketalbahn.

Martin

It is also available from Amazon.de at Eur69

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Would that be 'arty' like pages 150-151 of Dampflok Paradies Harz by any chance?
:eek::tmi:;)

Hence the old saying "cold as a witch's t*t".....?
Or is it far enough away that you can't tell how cold she is? :rofl:

Jon.

Lobethalbahn2

Registered
21 Dec 2009
Canberra
Best answers
Country flag
image.jpeg image.jpeg Another very good publisher on German narrow gauge (and minor standard gauge lines) is Verlag Kenning.

http://www.verlag-kenning.de

I've bought a range of their books through Amazon over the last year. The landscape format green covered books are a little less text heavy than the blue covered variety. However, both have fantastic photos, loco and rolling stock drawings, plus track diagrams of stations and industrial sidings.

The other book (2nd image, top right) on the Sachsen VIK class is from Eisenbahn Kurier Verlag. I've also just downloaded the ebook version of the recent EJ book on the Harzquerbahn (as originally posted here by Jon D) which has a wealth of detail on operations, particularly industries.

Last edited:

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Looks interesting Paul, any pics of the Sekeltalbahn in it?
JonD

Yes it's a fairly even spread over the whole system organised in chapters :)
Go on you know you want to . .

IMG_5128.JPG IMG_5127.JPG IMG_5126.JPG

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes it's a fairly even spread over the whole system organised in chapters :)
Go on you know you want to . .

View attachment 218234 View attachment 218233 View attachment 218232
Bad boy tantalising me, not supposed to be buying any more books. Not due to swmbo none present at the moment. Just lack of space on the bookshelves. Perhaps if I junk a load of my old books I may fit some in. More mags could also be razored. There you see I am justifying getting it already!
JonD