Hartland "Mack" simple battery power

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
I bought a Hartland ?Mack? loco for only 99 AUD, mainly for my grandson.

091b33034fa7449c9320b8ad1c821d54.jpg

I originally had plans for a major rebuild using the motor block only, but decided that for now, I?d just put in simple battery control. It has just a forward/off/reverse switch on the roof. I have used this system for 2 small diesels for my other grandsons and the locos have proved to be super useful little shunters or push-up engines when the kids aren?t around.

The motor block prises out from a clip (very carefully!), and the cab is held by 2 screws from underneath the motor block (- brilliant design that ? if the screws had been moved 2 mm you could get the cab off without taking the motor block off). There?s a couple of steel weights. The roof of the cab comes off when you push the headlights out!
It?s a bit tricky to figure out how to dismantle it, but when you finally get it apart, these are the bits you have.

c1d070b20e1040f1adbb220bd68e2337.jpg

The motor block is held together with 4 screws. I took it apart to disconnect the motor from the wheel pickups, and soldered 2 wires direct to the motor.
Then I hot glued 5 NiMH cells under the ?skirt? and took the 2 wires up into the cab via the centre hole. I put charging lugs at either end for my standard crocodile charger clips. It runs at about 20-25 kph

dc9508c5a696431baf88dba927c98208.jpg

The horn on the roof pulls out and a DPDT switch fits straight in!

That should have been the end, but I decided I?d put some sound in. Just a simple 555 oscillator running at around 12 Hz doesn?t sound too bad. Had a 40mm speaker I put on the cab floor with the cct under. To get enough volume I had to take the frosted windows out and it looks a whole lot better. Unfortunately, the speaker comes right up to window level and I still have to disguise the wires up to the roof.

A bit of repainting and some decals and here it is?
f91744c311c34e3196c136e36e541cce.jpg

And a 20sec video .....
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/satr/eddie1.wmv

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Simple and effective.

eye-kay

Trams, narrow gauge, and anything else on rails
26 Oct 2009
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
russ said:
I really appreciate the writeup on disassembly and love the video. How long does it run on those batteries? You may have inspired me to get one of these little critters.

I've got one of these and I can confirm that they are really easy to take apart and convert to battery power. The only problem is that they are difficult to get hold of at the moment. I haven't seen any UK retailers selling them recently.

Ian

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Try Sreve Warrington at Back2Bay6, he did have one

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
russ said:
How long does it run on those batteries? You may have inspired me to get one of these little critters.
I'll do some testing today and let you know. I expect 3 or 4 hours

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
russ said:
How long does it run on those batteries?

Today I started with fully charged batteries at 6.60V. Ran for 2 and 3/4 hours. Voltage now 6.37V So still a lot more running to go before it gets down to 6.0.
More running with Grandkids tomorrow will finally flatten them ??

Using 2300 mAh cells from Hobbyking - cost me around 1.20 AUD/cell delivered.