Hartland Locomotive Works HLW are closing down

beavercreek

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
East Anglia
www.facebook.com
From 28th May HLW are closing its train operations.
It still has stock but lines are thin.
HLW was always a pretty well constructed make with a limited number of models, some being cobbled together from the parts bin.
Many of the molds were from the long gone manufacturer 'Delton' (Aristocraft also used some of the same manufacturers molds).
Their products did seem a little overpriced for what they were.

The G scale manufacturers were finding things not so easy and Coronavirus has certainly not helped the situation.

The 'off the shelf' part of the hobby is certainly diminishing, over the last few years, for various reasons... (and it is the same with retailers).
Aristocraft closing down, Bachmann reducing its G scale and Fn3 range considerably, now HLW....
The 1:22.5 to 1:29 scale 'off the shelf' big players are now LGB. Piko, Bachmann (reduced range) and USA Trains

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Another one bites the dust. Not good. :(

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Quite sad though there range was very thin on the ground to get hold of in UK. I know some dealers had bits but the Trams were very USA only so far as I could see.

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Th
Quite sad though there range was very thin on the ground to get hold of in UK. I know some dealers had bits but the Trams were very USA only so far as I could see.
Their range was all 1/24 too which is a legacy from the early days of USA large scale manufacturers like Delton which Hartland had some of their molds along with AristoCraft Classics. 1/24 not so popular now.
I think I purchased the last in stock Paul Bunyin logger that had the brass domes and headlight bezel before they changed to plastic ones to reduce manufacturing costs. A good move on my part.
So now there is no more Doozies to be had new which was an old Delton remake. The Mack shunter was a tough inexpensive, entry level loco. That will be missed too. Some of their stuff was a bit toy like but as good as LGB in quality. 4-4-0's etc. They made trains on the side with their main products being garden watering components if I remember correctly. At a time when the western world is questioning their reliance on Chinese produce being not so wise. :think:

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
I've never used or bought any of their stuff, but it's always a shame to see something like this

Monty

Monty

Registered
16 Apr 2018
Australia
I have a number of their products and they are great to run on occasions where you want ‘something different’ without worrying about scale and the like, the car is a cut down gondola with the odd barrel et al as a load.. it was just a fun thing........
D76B0A2D-10CF-4527-A866-A9D386E9A1C3.jpeg

.....I also have one of their trams which has been converted to R/C and is again, good value.
AC3E0AFB-4FA6-4FDD-BAA3-009FAD94CC54.jpeg

vale HLW....

Gizzy

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
When I first started in G, I brought a few of their short wagon kits, which I still have. One or two were bashed into PW vehicles.

I also have a rake of 6 HLW bogie flat wagons which I was thinking of selling on, but they might be rare and valuable now....

ntpntpntp

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
I have a Mack, a simple robust and useful little loco.

The little wagon kits were great, I have quite a fleet of their hoppers and a couple of the other wagons. Useful for LGB Feldbahn and other small locos. I hope someone takes over the molds.

DSCN2177a.jpg
DSCN1937a.JPG

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
I have a number of their products and they are great to run on occasions where you want ‘something different’ without worrying about scale and the like, the car is a cut down gondola with the odd barrel et al as a load.. it was just a fun thing........ View attachment 267246
.....I also have one of their trams which has been converted to R/C and is again, good value.
View attachment 267248
vale HLW....
I always fancied their interurban, but I went in a different direction for scale, and it'd look too small.

J

John Le Forestier

Registered
15 Feb 2020
Toronto
Hartland took over from the 1:24 pioneer manufacturer, Kalamazoo. The 4-4-0 and its passenger and freight cars began with K'zoo. I have remained with 1:24 scale all this time, and own a fair amount of Kalamazoo and Hartland stock. I particularly like their 4-4-0 and the 0-4-0 switchers, the one with the tender and also the little tank. Although I had no connection with the company I nevertheless frequently promoted their products among my fellows, because of their robust high quality.

I used to 'do' shows for children, encouraging them to run my trains, and I particularly brought Hartland or K'zoo stock along. They ran reliably hour after hour and kids really couldn't damage anything. Once I removed the bells these locos became practically bullet proof.

For the past several years it has been evident that the company was struggling with sales. The company was struggling with overwhelming odds outside their control.

While I cannot say I'm very surprised,, I'm very sorry to see their end. I wish for the owners and employees satisfying lives and every happiness as they begin new chapters in their lives.

musket the dog

musket the dog

Professional engineer, amateur modeler
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
It's sad to see another manufacturer go. I've seen a few people bash their short cars into lots of interesting prototypes. Escpecially a few years ago when the kits could be aquired quite cheaply. The scratchbuilders amoungst us are also losing another manufacturer that's made their power units availible separately.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
That Tram is what I had or even have, though mine was I think Pacific something or other. Nice model that I attempted or started to convert by making the body higher to match LGB height proportions.Found the roof the other day, know ehere the bogies are but the body.....hm in that black hole that calls itself my loft possibly. I know I sold the overhead poles on ebay, well I think I did, perhaps the complete thing is somewhere around my chaos!

J

John Le Forestier

Registered
15 Feb 2020
Toronto
P.E. Pacific Electric, an interurban line in California, Mr. Dunny.

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
I have a Mack, a simple robust and useful little loco.

The little wagon kits were great, I have quite a fleet of their hoppers and a couple of the other wagons. Useful for LGB Feldbahn and other small locos. I hope someone takes over the molds.

View attachment 267249 View attachment 267250
Yes, the small car 'make & take' kits are great value and who ever made the molds were smart enough to make the hoppers interchangeable with the LGB ones. They swap either way perfectly. :nod:
A HLW Mack and a string of small cars were probably one of the cheapest ways of getting into the hobby without resorting to Chinese junk.
Make & Take Kit

P.S. I went and bought another Mack as spare, just in case. :D

Last edited:
Hutch

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Another much loved manufacturer quitting because I'm a customer. Delton, 1980's Lionel (made in USA), REA (Walter Matuch), Kalamazoo, and Aristocraft off the top of my head.
A sad state of affairs
---Hutch

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
They are not necessarily gone for good. They are 'closed for production indefinitely' 'We may reopen for production down the road...'
They have other business concerns because of the COVID-19 situation. Their trains are a side line to other manufactured items.
Read it here - Hartland Locomotive Works

Gizzy

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
They are not necessarily gone for good. They are 'closed for production indefinitely' 'We may reopen for production down the road...'
They have other business concerns because of the COVID-19 situation. Their trains are a side line to other manufactured items.
Read it here - Hartland Locomotive Works
Let's hope that they do resume production at some point in the future....

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Let's hope that they do resume production at some point in the future....
If they see there's still a strong market and following, it'll probably make sense to resume operations at some point. They must have kept the moulds etc

Gavin Sowry

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ