Hartland 4-4-0

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Hi,guys. I have 2 Hartland Locomotive Works 4-4-0's.
Neither one has sound.
One of them is a replica of the Virginia & Truckees' #22 "Inyo".
While not perfect, it sure is nice and pretty!
I know that Phoenix has a sound file for the Inyo.
So, which Phoenix card would I need to buy to add sound to this locomotive?
Thanks!
Andrew

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Well, the Phoenixsound systems website suggests using the card MADE for the American 4-4-0 - it says Bachmann and Hartland use the #440 unit. Apart from them fitting it, how much more do you need to know? :wondering:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Assuming you are DC?

If you can find a P8, that should be fine... You may well then need to find someone who can load the correct file for you. - I could, but am in the UK. so not really a lot of use, there..

If you can find someone 'local' (I know the US is 'really big') who has the hardware and software it would help.

Else, a deep breath, and buy a new card from Phoenix.

PhilP.
<Greg and I were typing at the same time, I reckon>

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
DC, track power, and I am now thinking of ordering the PB17 from Reindeer Pass for it as it was reccomended by another poster on another forum .
And I remember that it was also the card that was recommended for my LGB Mogul before I decided to go with the LGB #65001 for it instead.
Reindeer Pass should be able to get the file of the actual Inyo directly from Phoenix Sound and load the car with it before they ship the card to me.
My only consideration is wiring the card into the tender of the Inyo. I don't think that it represents a problem ,as HLW loco's (like their Kalamazoo forebears ) are of very simple design and construction.
Unless I'm mistaken, the installation should consist of mounting the card, wiring it and the tender trucks for track power, mounting and wiring the speaker,and volume control, and mounting reed switches for the whistle and bell sounds, since I don't operate on DCC.
Should be fairly simple.
Right?
Thanks guys!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Sounds (no pun) about right..

What could possibly go wrong? ;)

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
I'm not sure. Can you please walk me through those 2 devices,what they are ,and how they work,Greg ?
Thanks!
Andrew

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Autochuff is where the decoder sets the chuff rate, by "voltage", more voltage, faster chuff rate.

chuff switch, is either a mechanical or electronic switch that triggers the chuff, so the rate of chuffs exactly matches the actual speed, and moreover you can time the chuffs so that they happen at exactly the right point, i.e. max and min strokes of the piston in the cylinder.

Greg

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA
When loading the sound file ask for MTS to be turned off.

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Better ask for DCC to be shut off, MTS is unique to LGB, not all US installers get that. ;)

Also, if you intend to use autochuff and install it yourself, then it probably will not be as close as you want. Alternatives are get the programmer, or have the unit installed and "tuned" for you.

Greg

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Hi,guys. I have 2 Hartland Locomotive Works 4-4-0's.
Neither one has sound.
One of them is a replica of the Virginia & Truckees' #22 "Inyo".
While not perfect, it sure is nice and pretty!
I know that Phoenix has a sound file for the Inyo.
So, which Phoenix card would I need to buy to add sound to this locomotive?
Thanks!
Andrew
It went very well considering that the rear bogie on the tender appeared to be off the track! ;-)

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
Reactions: 1 user

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Indeed! I never noticed as it ran without any indication it was slightly amiss.
Well done!
I promise not to count any rivets.....:p

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Does the sound card have a +ve and -ve input? Do you need a bridge rectifier, or does the card take care of that?

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Typically the Phoenix cards that are "compatible with DC" can take track power of any polarity, but I don't think the final decision has been made yet.

Greg

I've pretty much decided on the PB11. I'm going to make arrangement in the next couple of months to send the Inyo to Reindeerpass and have them do the instlllation,since I want it to be tuned as perfectly as possible, and so that they can deal with the auto-chuff issue Greg was talking about earlier.
I already would have sent it out, but I decided to go with the sound installation on the 2 On30 locomotives, and to buy the NCE Power Cab.
That all cost about the same amount of money as what doing the Inyo would have, and I decided it was better to take care of the 2 On30's, and get the DCC controller I needed for them, before I get the sound system installed in the Inyo.
As far as anything else goes for the Inyo, I'm sure that the good people at Reindeer Pass will advise me about, and take care of,any issues that may arise during this installation.
Thinking that I'll probably get her done sometime in May, or June, depending on finance,s and possible other projects.
The possibility of which is many...
Thanks guys!