Handmade crossing

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The requirement: a crossing, anything from 30 to 90 degrees.
The problem: I use Peco track and Peco don't make any crossings.
The solution: option 1, the easy option - use another manufacturer's crossing with appropriate joiners. Option 2, the harder option - build one with Peco track.

Why go the easy route when you can have so much more fun doing it the hard way. Anyway, I'd always fancied having a go at building some track and a crossing should be easy, shouldn't it? After all it's all straight bits. I opted for a 90 degree to keep things as simple as possible.

I was conscious that however it was built it was going to need a firm base to ensure there is no movement in the sleepers once laid. I umm'd and ahh'd on this one for a while until I discovered a spare bit of Perspex in the garage. A test was done to check that the Peco sleepers would glue to the Perspex OK and we're off.

I had already done some planning and sketched out how the sleepers should be laid out and the rails cut, so the first job was to cut and glue the sleepers down. This was done in 2 stages as I used full lengths of rail in the chairs while the glue dried to keep the chairs aligned.

09e96e8b42584851a846250a4d91156f.jpg

Next job, cut up some rough lengths of rail. The outer rail lengths are not so critical but the inner 4 bits needed to be more accurate. In hindsight I'd have done this differently, but more on that later.

04271b284d834e95a07022048be1706f.jpg

Electrics: each of the 3 bits of rail in each line now needs to be joined up electrically. I decided that if I soldered a wire to the side of each, this wire would also help stop the rails moving when buried in filler later on. Doing this in situ was a bit tricky trying to avoid melting the chairs. The result...

3a9f82cbba824b52ad9266d7602ee6b8.jpg

The problem was that when it came to closing the gaps up the wires interfered with one and other, so much that a rethink was in order. This is where hindsight kicked in, if I remove half of the wires and replace with fishplates, these would provide electric continuity and hold the middle bit of track in place. The proper thing to have done is where the joiners now are I should not have cut the rail through in the first place. I should have simply cut the head and web out of the rails leaving just the foot to hold them together. Less bits of rail, perfect electrics and no chance of movement.

ecfa3de07b854f6d9da679a99249dcac.jpg

Last job, fill in the centre and around the crossing with body filler followed by a bit of Dremmilling to remove the surplus. This does 2 things. Firstly it acts a check rail and secondly holds the rails in place. Followed by a coat of black paint to finish it off. Now to find somewhere that I can use it.

I have got as far as applying the filler and sanding back, but it's not fully finished as I haven't been able to find a suitable location for it in the garden. So no final pics. I could fit a 30 degree crossing in much easier, so work on this one has stopped while I replan before ripping it apart to start again. I'll probably make a few other changes too, starting with the base as I'd like to be able to screw to it. Any ideas?

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Very nice and a bit of hindsight engineering thrown in!! always best to learn by others mistakes. could you not knotch both directions of through rail?

MR SPOCK

railways politics Human rights loud music
25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
cornwallrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
[align=center]I made one almost identical to that,

Great minds think alike

I added check rails and tested with a variety of wheel profiles, awaiting to see it in action ,

Hint Hint,
83468bf80c544532b181314068fafbd4.jpg
87def4b894be44eb9ea78b8ea62c54d6.jpg
553e888ceba243b598821a169612972b.jpg

[/align]

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Brilliant work both of you food for thought :D

MR SPOCK

25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
Best answers
MR SPOCK said:
[align=center]I made one almost identical to that,

Great minds think alike

I added check rails and tested with a variety of wheel profiles, awaiting to see it in action ,

Hint Hint,
7ef0320359034431ae2829e91b498cb8.jpg

[/align]

[align=center]I also meant to add that I was sent a yard of track cut into three one foot long sections, two were used for the main routes the rest was for check rails and sleeper parts, I used industrial grade ABS for the infills to stop any shorting out.
The filler was non conductive Araldite two part.

The whole lot is bonded to and abs sheet with industrial building adhesive, the type for gutters and plumbing.
This was the prototype I looked at.
[/align]

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
MR SPOCK said:
[align=center] [align=left]<snip>
[/align]

images

[/align]

The check rails on mine were created by the filler which actually covers the whole of the centre square, I'll try and post a pic.

I think for the rebuilt 30 degree version I will try a single notched rail.

Is your Peco too? Where did you get the ABS for the infills, mine are just filler which seems hard enough but I've not run any trains on it so can't tell how it will wear.

MR SPOCK

25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
Best answers
[align=center]
Wobbleboxer said:
I used L shaped profile for the outer ends, then used square section for the corners of the inner rails, this was stuff that came from an industrial componants display in a plastic wholesallers shop, all the track is peco , and was made for another forum member,to match what he is already using, to get the check rails to sit right I filed out the inner 'spikes' and set it all in the two part mix overnight then dressed it later , I may have put too many sleepers into the equation but it looks fine to me , and adds a lot of strength, I prefer soldering to nickel silver brass I find to be difficult, but that is only my personal.

I toyed with the idea of a notched rail for extra strength, but as it wasnt for me and I didnt know the final circuitry I made the sets independant and isolated.

I have made other strange crossings and turnouts before , and it is not as difficult as it seems , planning is the key, using a yard of peco track is not the most expensive material either,
aed0ff6c67ea4d0492cce397920c1b6a.jpg

[/align]
MR SPOCK said:
[align=center] <snip>
[/align]

aed0ff6c67ea4d0492cce397920c1b6a.jpg

The check rails on mine were created by the filler which actually covers the whole of the centre square, I'll try and post a pic.

I think for the rebuilt 30 degree version I will try a single notched rail.

Is your Peco too? Where did you get the ABS for the infills, mine are just filler which seems hard enough but I've not run any trains on it so can't tell how it will wear.

[align=center]
[/align]